Headphone Recommendations?

Anyone using the Sonarworks individually calibrated headphones? How much of a difference does it actually make?

And buying monitors is not the end of all. If you put the money in a correct sound treatment (eve; isolation if needed) of your home studio, you easily top up the price of monitors. Add to this that if you move from this place one day, you are back at square one.
Easier to move with headphones :wink:

I am actually more used to the bass accentuation with the QC15.
Therefore what other would you recommend?
The Sony 7506?

The 7506 has probably been used in more actual mixing situations than all the rest of the headphones in this thread put together. But Iā€™m not a professional. I donā€™t even mix, really, just occasionally record a single stereo out. I mostly listen to laptop/tablet audio/video and to my synths. I would think one would go for the most neutral gear for mixing but itā€™s really up to you. Do you have an opportunity to try before buying? I certainly donā€™t under current circumstances. If you prefer a stronger bass, the DT770 and 990 are contenders.

2 Likes

I have the DT-880 PRO and I always overcompensate in the low end when I use them. Sonarworks did help quite a bit with that but Iā€™m looking to replace them. They have great stereo image and good clarity tho, I love to use them with our electric piano.

1 Like

how would you rate the 900 pro x ? im thinking about bying them. I have the 770 pro and the highs are too strong for my taste. How do the 900 compare to the 770? i am looking for mixing headphones.

I havenā€™t use it on headphones, but I do on my monitors. It helps, but itā€™s not a replacement for knowing your monitors.

Edit: Iā€™ve found it far more useful when you are in a new room and finding out how THAT sounds on the monitors you already know.

1 Like

And if you have the budget you could consider the 1770 and 1990 as well. I have the 1770 and the bass response is excellent.

1 Like

It also wonā€™t turn your headphones white, so I dunno how much use youā€™d get outta it :crazy_face:
( i dunno why it never gets old with me)

1 Like

thatā€™s an interesting question! I would bet that individually calibrated headphones vs normal retail phones with the standard Sonarworks preset doesnā€™t make enough differene for my ears to notice, but would be intrested to hear if anyone has tried both. (obviously for monitors you need to set up a special profile due to room differences).

1 Like

they are quite flat in terms of bass

1 Like

There is an easier way to white out everythingā€¦

1 Like

I like the 900 Pro X a lot.
Sound wise and in comparison to the DT770s itā€™s what you would expectā€¦they sound more open and detailed, and thereā€™s definitely more depth to them given you donā€™t have the ā€˜up against your earsā€™ feel that the 770s/closed back cans can give you.

Iā€™m still getting used to them, but Iā€™m happy to mix on them already, they feel neutral and trustworthy.

1 Like

I demoed Sonarworks a few months ago and I didnā€™t really like it. The change in my headphones (Audeze LCD-X) was drastic, but it didnā€™t feel like an improvement. It just felt different, not necessarily better. Maybe thatā€™s all you need, a different perspective on the mix.

Then I demoed Acustica Sienna and that, I have system wide on my machine and Iā€™m never not listening through it. The headphone correction is a lot less aggressive, but still flattens out the response (I think default strength is 30%, which is about where I was comfortable with Sonarworks). The room/speaker sims are a revelation for me. To get bass right, I used to have do my mix and then go and check it on a few speaker setups. Now, I can hear exactly whatā€™s going on down there and I just get it right the first time.

Neither am I :slight_smile:

What I am doing also, jamming away :slight_smile:

Unfortunately not, this is why I am asking here.

Edit: thanks for taking the time @plragde

1 Like

The Sonys arrived this morning, and I can confirm just about everything that you and @plragde have said. I bought them with my corporate WFH budget, and they seem like they will be excellent for Zoom calls and casual listening while working.

Iā€™ll save further comments until Iā€™ve used these headphones for a few more days. So far, There are a few head-scratchers, but no deal breakers. Nothing about these headphones are frustrating.

2 Likes

Canā€™t recommend more Sennheiser hd800s
Better than monitors in many cases.
Joy to use!

1 Like

Sony WH are Good for listening not good for music production

1 Like

My 7506s arenā€™t going anywhere, at least not until I have a decent planar set.

1 Like