Headphone Recommendations?

Here’s where @craig recommends the Audeze LCD-1’s, haha. He swears by them. I’m using the TMA-2 by AIAIAI. Now that I am used to them, I think they work rather well for me and are very comfortable. Plus, they are modular, so you can mix and match to your budget / preference.

3 Likes

I would love to use monitors but I will really be on the road for the next two years.
My budget is £200 and need to travel quite light. I already have hd25s for DJing

Thanks for the tip but I won’t be in a county where I can get my hands on good cans for a very long time, so it’s important to invest now.

I like them; very comfortable, a bit more ‘air’ than my other more dj oriented cans HD25/26. Overall they sound quite unspectacular, flat - probably as they should. But I cannot compare with other, more high-end headphones. I guess in the end of the day, it matters most that you know your reference tracks for comparison, etc.

I did check out the Audeze LCD-1’s however they blow my budget out of the water :frowning:
I’m at around £200

Also have a look at headphone correction software like sonarworks, since you are working with a computer… much information on this forum about it, for example this:

I believe goodhertz has something similar in this department too

Yes, i use sonarworks and canopener from gooheartz… with dt880 headphones and Krk kns 8400 headphones… works great…

Sony mdr 7506. They’re an industry standard for good reason.
I’ve had and still have a bunch of headphones - some way more expensive than the 7506. In my opinion they sound better than most headphones up to and around 3 or 400 euros. They look like shit and maybe they feel cheap but hey… they sound right to my ears in virtually every way. Nothing too bass heavy or over emphasised as with so many other headphones in this price range. For the money you cannot go wrong.

2 Likes

On the Focal Spirit Pros:

They are very nice closed-back headphones, I’ve enjoyed them most of all the headphones I own (amongst them K702,m and DT770).

Build quality is not bad per se, but they are more fragile than they look which is the whole issue I feel…they look real sturdy but are actually not as sturdy as they look. If you remember that when packing them/traveling around with them you should be fine in terms of build quality.

You’re darn tooting. Buy the LCD-1s, sit back, and relax in the knowledge you’ve made the best choice available in the mid-price range :slight_smile:

1 Like

Third party pads increase comfort. One of OP’s requirements is light & compact for travel. The 7506s fold up into a compact ball and come with a nice (faux?) leather pouch.

With a little bit of gaffer tape, you can hide the Sony logos easily.

2 Likes

I will definitely look into these, as a good travel pair.
They also look alright tbf, quite basic

1 Like

How would you say the detail on their low end is? Are they comparable to the HD 600s?

Goodhertz & sonarworks is the way.

1 Like

HD650 are very good. I used them for years on the road and found them to be very balanced. I only stoped using them as I upgraded to the Focal Elear

1 Like

I really love these

https://www.mutingthenoise.com/products/phonon-4400-muting-noise-headphones

Sony 7506’s are great for picking out what’s wrong in the mix (except some of the lower end, but definitely in the mids & highs) but can sound a bit clinical/harsh—I like balancing them out with the DT990’s which I find sound warmer and have a bit more low-end while still clear and transparent

that being said, I can’t emphasize enough how useless open-back headphones become when you are anywhere but a quiet room (when it comes to mixing at least). if you are traveling it can often be tough to use them

1 Like

I love my Sennheiser HD25s. Indestructible, replaceable parts and portable.

2 Likes