Having issues using Digitakt with the OP-Z

I was hoping to use both together to use the Digitakt for drums and samples, whilst using the midi tracks on the Digitakt to access the synth engines on the OP-Z.
I have Digitakt running midi out to midi in on the OP-Z using the Op Lab module.

I’ve ran into some issues. Whenever I hit play on the Digitakt, the perimeter 1 and 2 reset to zero on the OP-Z which of course messes up the sound, rendering the OP-Z useless in this setup. Also, CC messages don’t work very well and after a while the devices go out of sync with each other.

I’m hoping I’m missing something obvious but I’m starting to think that they just don’t play nice together. Any pointers would be brilliant.

i have both and never tried this but highly recommend using the usb cable for midi

oplab has some issues with that iirc

edit: this thread has more answers

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it’s the same story when using usb. I forgot to mention that I’m running a Keystep 37 midi out into the midi in of the Digitakt. I’ve now noticed that it’s whenever I hit stop on the Digitakt, as soon as I hit a note on the Keystep it resets the perimeters 1 and 2 on the OP-Z. If I hit a note directly on the OP-Z it’s unaffected, so now I’m wondering if it’s the Keystep causing the issue… I guess a workaround would be to play directly on the OP-Z but ideally I would like to use the Keystep for playability, the keys on the OP-Z are a lil too small for my sausage fingers.

1 Like

So do you mean that encoder 1 and 2 are being affekter everything your start the sequencer?

If Thats the case then its likely keystep that is sending midi CC 1 and 2 to the OP-Z.

One work around could be turn turn off midi send and receive on the OP-Z (Holding the two right shoulder buttons and press a track) and to activate midi only when you want to play that specific track.

Another way is to use USB and have midi echo on on the OP-Z so that keystep can sense the midi settings of the OP-Z

1 Like

The way I have it set up is the Keystep is running midi out to to midi in on the Digitakt, then I run midi out on Digitakt to midi in on OP-Z.

I can change the encoders before hitting play on the Digitakt and all will work well whilst jamming. The issue is that when I hit stop on Digitakt, as soon as I press a key on the Keystep after this it will reset the encoders 1 and 2 to zero.

I think you may be right that the Keystep is sending CC messages so I will look at the setting in the Keystep app later, hopefully it’s an easy fix. You may be able to tell but I am fairly new to using midi…

I will also try using OP-Z as master to see if it works better this way. I was just hoping to use the Digitakt for this purpose as I could then focus on using one device rather than two when playing live by utilising the midi tracks.

So I took away the Keystep from the setup. Same issue persists. Works fine until I stop the track, because as soon as I press or change the midi track on the Digitakt, it resets the encoders on OP-Z to zero. Not sure what’s going on there but seems like they just aren’t fully compatible.