Harmonix - Digitone iOS App

Update Out:

• You can now view other Sound properties (Key Scaling, Filter KeyTrack, Portamento, etc)
  • Added “Hybrid” Sound Type
  • Added “Scale” Sound Design Function
  • Improved Modulation randomization
  • UI Bug Fixes
6 Likes

Was up til 4am playing with Harmonix and the DN.
Thanks for the ability to perform open surgery on this beast!

3 Likes

App Store submissions are closed until the 27th, but I finished a Pattern Generator that I will release then. Instant Polyrhythms and notes / chords filtered to a chosen key / scale (23 available).

6 Likes

You naughty boy!
Pattern generation from the app? Oh my word!!!
Looks like I’ve hit the jackpot here, DN out of nowhere and now a major update looming for Harmonix!
Wow!

Thank you @mekohler, :crown:

That sounds amazing. Does it have anything to do with the generator in PolyPhase?

It’s a port of the Euclidean generator from Collider. Each Trig it decides to turn on, it will place up to 5 notes on that match your chosen key / scale. Patterns on the DN also include all the sound information, so they are large and take around 6 seconds to be transferred and processed by the DN :frowning:

It’s still useful to generate ideas, but right now it’s pretty bare bones. You select which Tracks you want to populate and that’s it…everything else is done randomly under the hood. I’ll expand on it the more in the future…

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to it. In the meantime I’ll keep using Polyphase to create melodies. I haven’t tried it with the Digitone yet though!

1 Like

PolyPhase is definitely better as it works on the fly…there is only so much you can do with static Pattern Generation using sysex :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t wait for this to appear on the Appstore… If only DN could have a decent Multi Map mode were to easy ( maybe via software ) assign patches on the selected range instead of letting the DN grab them from C0 upward… ( Sorry maybe a bit offtopic )

Update Out:

• Added an Intelligent Pattern Generator
  • Improved “Perc” & “Bass” Sound Types
  • Improved Randomization
  • The Mixer Sliders will now obey the “All” toggle
  • Bug Fixes

Note: Pattern Generation works really nicely, but you should be wary of using it on all Tracks when each Track has a totally different sound…it can sound like chaos / garbage really fast. I’ve been finding a sound I like, copying it to all other Tracks and then morphing each a little (or using the Main View’s Spread function). Super slow BPM’s (30-40) also work nicely to prevent chaos. Each Pattern Type is humanized and makes extensive use of Conditional Trigs. All Notes created on each Trig are filtered to your chosen Key / Scale. There are 23 included scales to get you started!

My favorite Pattern Type is “Melodic” :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sorry if this is a bit elementary, but… Is a camera connection kit enough to get this up and running with an iPad and Digitone?

Yes, that’s all you need for a direction connection. I personally have my DN connected to my iMac, and my iPad sends MIDI over WIFI to the iMac which I route to the DN…so no adapters needed there.

5 Likes

A pattern generator for Fragments would be good too. Happy Xmas and New Year :slight_smile:

Yeah, eventually. It’s tedious to decode the Pattern Sysex so I need some time to mentally recover :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Fair enough - whenever you’re recharged to take on the task! Cheers

Update Out:

• Added Pattern Type “Drums”
  • Added “Exp Vol” Sound Design Function
  • Added Option “Pass Through Notes”
  • Improved Velocity Modulation Randomization
  • Improved “Perc” Sound Type
  • Improved Pattern humanization
  • Pattern Bug Fixes
5 Likes

How does the ‘Drums’ pattern works?Should we replace the Trig with a sample from the Pool manually?.. just asking :slight_smile: great job!

Drum Pattern has a chance of choosing a Euclid Sequence or a Drum sequence from Collider. It then removes most conditional Trigs, makes sure there is only one note chosen per Trig (no chords), and that all Trig notes are the same (no pitch fluctuations). I haven’t decoded the P-Lock part of the Pattern Sysex yet, so I don’t do anything with locks at the moment.

I recently improved the “Perc” Sound Type, so you could toggle “All” and hit “Perc” to populate every track with a drum sound. You could also use the function “Exp Vol” on any type of sound, which will turn it into a snappy / short / percussive type of sound.

4 Likes

Thanks but unfortunately I had the awful idea to move to ios 13 today in order to make my USB Flash drive to work for samples storage and for unknown reason to me the app stop communicating with my RTP Midi Network and mostly with my camera connection kit, it does not transfer patches or patterns, I should have being way from updating to ios 13…

I’m on the latest iOS and it works fine here. Never used RTP, but try a direct connection. The Digitone Port should appear in the MIDI tables.