Hardware / Interface IO Questions

Ok, recently I have been getting into my hardware from moving from a complete in the box setup and now have the RYTM, Octatrack, Cirklon and a Virus Ti2. I’ve started think that my audio interface (UA Apollo Twin Duo) is now not upto the task as I now need more individual Line In’s.

I presume I need individual tracks/parts recorded so that they can later be EQ’d/mixed etc all individually.

I’m thinking of putting another synth in the mix, an alesis andromeda a6 so will need another load of inputs from there I’m currently selling the Octatrack (it’s listed in the marketplace atm)

I want to know other people’s thoughts on how their hardware systems are setup for multiple synths/machines like these with audio interfaces and how you go about mixing their music on the basis of IO’s + what anyone feels is the best way to approach this situation. Any input would be great.

Have a look at the Allen & Heath Qu-Pac.
22 analog inputs, 4 stereo fx processors,
32/32 USB 2.0 Core Audio interface.
Can also record up to 18 tracks of 24bit/48khz audio to USB 3.0 thumb drive, computer free.

Loads of outputs for aux purposes. EQ/Gate/Comp/Ducker(pseudo-sidechain) on all channels and busses.
Programmable buttons.

I just love it, and the 22 inputs means no need for a patchbay. You can setup “scenes” for virtual patching/routings and just toggle between them with the push of a button.

1 Like

Thanks Adamjay :slight_smile:

Are there any rules I should be looking at here, it’s pretty new territory for me lol, do I not even need an audio interface like an apollo 16 mk2, could I just go straight into a mixing desk and take the audio interface completely out of the question.

I would like to record my complete sequenced track from the cirklon, and so record all those sounds modules, synths outputs being controlled into their own individual, independent channels at the same time. Probably looking at alot of channels!

Another thing that slightly puzzles me (or maybe i’m just looking at it wrong) is the stereo/mono thing on a mixing desk. Obviously if I want a stereo input on my system at present I would have lets say ‘from my virus’ a couple of trs cables from the L/R output into the the two line in’s on my audio interface. Is it the same for mixing desk line in channels or do I need some kind of Y splitter? Everytime I look at a desk diagram it only looks like one channel has it’s own in. Maybe i’m just looking at it wrong?

Most mixers these days, including the above motioned q-pac, are also audio interfaces. They show up as an interface in your daws preferences and allow you to record anything currently plugged into your mixer straight to your daw.

Depending on how much you spend this can be anything from a single stereo pair to multiple channels, like the q-pac

Once you’ve recorded your audio you then have the ability to play the audio back through the mixer and mix “outside the box” as it were

The flexibility and routing is all down to the quality of the unit

As for mono / stereo it’s all down to the instrument you are looking to record, if has a L/R stereo output, use it

Plug it into two mono channels panned hard left and right or one single stereo channel (which will have two inputs anyways)

You wouldn’t need the Apollo if you had the q-pac or something similar.

Allen Heath zed r-16 can be found used in the sub $1000 range. Mix and match 16 inputs & 18 outputs. Multitrack just about any setup in one pass. It’s big, but it’s so useful. If I didn’t have one I’d be gassing for a qu-pac.

As a cheap alternative you can take a look at Behringer UMC1820.
With 8 XLR/TRS inputs (with Midas mic preamps) you can track up to 4 stereo synth. Best value for money.

Thanks for the input guys, alot to think about here.

Any thoughts on one of these?

Allen and Heath Qu32?

That’s a serious desk :ooh:

1 Like

I like the thought of it to be honest, if I take all the RYTM individual outs, Virus Ti2’s + maybe invest in an Alesis Andromeda A6 surely the Qu32 would cover all bases.

Obviously my background is all mainly ITB so this is a steep learning curve, not sure how I incorporate effects into the mix or add other outboard units. Or even other things I need to take into consideration.

I have a apollo twin duo at present for my audio interface but this obviously cuts that out of the mix, it also would be interesting to know if there was still a way to use UAD plugs or if I just wouldn’t require them anymore and so bring some cash back into play. I must have around 50 UAD plugs at present and an octo satellite thunderbolt so that would cover at least half of the cost easily.

Still plenty to learn and research but would be a really nice workflow I would presume.

Dude get a Midas f16 or 24 depending on how many inputs you need. Fuck the qu pac. Go analog my friend

Reasons Jkorbel?

Midas no longer manufacture the Venice desks. They are part of Behringer now.
You might be able to find a second hand Venice somewhere.

The F24 is by far the better option over the F16. The routing is far more flexible. You can have plugins at the end of aux send/returns which is really handy.

There’s a thread on another forum about the noise from the cooling fan in the Venice desks. Quite loud apparently.

1 Like

I literally bought the Midas Venice Desk from Sweetwater less than 3 months ago. I had it modded at the Midas Vegas service center to have the firewire direct out record post-fader which I preferred due to my live production process in the studio. I think they are owned by Music Group which is a holding company that is Chaired by the founder of Behringer but Music Group has acquired a lot of companies.

In terms of my experience, this is a very lovely mixer. You can read thousands of reviews of people raving about it on other forums so I’m not going to reinvent the wheel. The mixer has changed the way I work. The creative routing possibilities are endless especially with the matrix mixer. Overdrive on channels is gorgeous. Happy to answer any specific questions if I know the answer.

2 Likes

At present I’m finding myself not having enough line-ins on my apollo twin duo and so runnning everything through the OT’s audio in’s. Really need a way of working better. I guess the idea of binning the audio interface for a straight desk is the next step now.

Not sure where to start though, people mention zed r-16, X32, QU32, Midas F24 etc. I quite like the Analog route here but what is really the best!

Also a question I don’t understand when talking about mono inputs of a desk, how would this work in relation to say an andromeda synth which has 16 parts but each of those parts are grouped say part 1+2 on one output? Thats the same for the Virus also.

I also like using the UAD plugs but do not know how i would still incorporate them into my setup if I decide to change to one of the above desks.

So confusing.

If you run out of stereo inputs, you can use 2 monos inputs and pan them left and right. Personally i find it preferable to work with mono as much as possible

Hi Rex, i understand what you mean but how do you do that if say one of the jack outputs on the back of a virus ti2 has two different parts going out of one output?

How does that work all down one cable - does something like that require a y spilting cable?

The output would simply be carrying a mixed analog signal - which can’t be separated again. So for example if you sent several of the virus parts to output 4, then youre stuck with running all those parts through a single mixer channel.

Can I bring this back up again please? I’m trying to work out the positives of having a mixer in an out of the box situation. But then I think of the virus as 16 parts multi-timbral and look on the back and can only have six parts as outgoing mono outputs so in theory losing aload of channels (unless you just have everything straight through the main output)

How could you get all 16 out in order to have their own channel in the outboard mixer to control?

I’m using a cirklon by the way!

It is not physically possible to get all 16 out going directly from the virus to the mixer at once, youcan only have 6.

(For more than 6, youll need some sort of multitracking device)

I’m still stumped on this and it’s a major headache, maybe someone can clear this up for me.

I’m just going to rewind with a bit more detail as I think it’s needed.

I used to work ITB just using Logic but then brought the RYTM and had major timing issues with overbridge. I could never get the machine bang on timing wise, but I kept it and then brought a Virus
TI2. I had similar timing issues with the TI software so decided the best way to get the timing right was take Logic and the imac out of the mix. I looked into MIDI sequencers and decided on a Cirklon to sequence all the MIDI gear. I then brought a sub37 which I didn’t plan to but it was a great deal and not to be passed on.

If I’m using the main output of the virus in multimode I can have upto 16 parts on the go at once, add in the RYTM + Moog I can control everything with the Cirklon with no timing issues.

Everything is going through my Apollo Twin but obviously I’m running out of inputs so this is a major factor, my issue / question is now possibly investing in a mixing desk, however something that I
really cannot get my head around is how do you actually EQ every individual part, say 16 for instance on the virus when you can only have upto six from the individual outputs meaning I go from 16 down to 6?

Seems a bit pointless why they don’t make more outputs on the back of synths imo, what do you think?

Is it bad practice not to have every available synth output on it’s discreet own channel to individually eq? Or is it just a myth i keep hearing?

Do you really have to have to EQ each instrument on it’s own or can you do this say when you have a completed track with 20 tracked already bounced?

I’m really interested to hear how people go about this, I suppose in a way it’s key to me actually buying a desk as when I look at it I would need three TI2 boxes just to achieve 18 individual outputs
which just doesn’t seem right. Maybe I’m wrong with my thinking but I’ve never really understood this aspect and would be really great to actually nail it on the head before I blow aload of cash of something I don’t really understand but would like to know. Your thoughts appreciated.