Guilty (music) Pleasures

But then it’s not a guilty pleasure anymore…It’s a song that outwore its welcome.

It’s true some things haven’t aged well…but maybe you like them cause you’re nostalgic and who cares? We all go through phases. One of my favorite things to do as of late is listen to music I haven’t heard since high school and see if it still holds up. A lot of times it does, and when it doesn’t then that’s okay!

But all I listened to in high school was Bowie, black metal, doom metal, and folk punk…

1 Like

My favorite version :metal:

1 Like

It’s obviously not the better version, but the Flamman and Abraxas mix implies guilt due to it kinda signalling the beginning of the end for “proper” gabber music.

This is a nice little mini-doc that gives the background on the remix.

2 Likes

I’m noticing the same listening tendency. I’m in my fourties and I’ve started to reacquire the cds and vinyls I had when i was 16-23. Most of them are still great, some are even better now that I understand them better.

Also when it comes to so called guilty pleasures, I have this habit of getting cringy stuff (that I still love) on cassette. I have a huge collection of original cassettes with a lot of Sandra, Enigma, 2Unlimited, eurodance in general etc.

I wouldn’t want any of that stuff in my vinyl shelf, it would be somehow shameful when friends come over, but on cassettes it’s just harmless fun. I can collect whatever the heck I feel like if it’s on tape.

1 Like

Some here does not look so bad/legit.

Now…

Beat this ! :rofl:

5 Likes

Really my last post here and just because my wife thinks it is my favorite song :rofl: no comment

1 Like
1 Like

Alright then, I will.

I actually went to see these.

Twice!

2 Likes

Love me some Creed!

1 Like

I only found out they were into Jesus after an embarrassingly long amount of time.

I smoked a lot of weed back in the day.

2 Likes

Some mentioned - JT, Ace of Base - I love too and am in no way ashamed about because they are straight jams.

These days I would classify “guilty pleasures” as tracks that range from unwise

to straight up offensive

yet still can’t help but enjoy despite everything.

Anyway. On with the unabashed jams.

J A M

Edit: one more for the cringe collection

‘The Rainbow’ on spirit of Eden is a proper good track.

2 Likes

There’s all sorts of wrong on this thread but I’m really enjoying it. It’s true that for the musically minded there are no guilty pleasure as such. It’s interesting that friends and family can make you feel awkward about your music preferences but everything’s valid when sharing with likeminded people.

1 Like

Almost posted that Len song earlier, I’ve always enjoyed that track!

1 Like

You and I are friends.

1 Like

I embrace the awkward.

2 Likes

In an alternate universe Barry White purchased a 909, transformed into a white British woman, and started releasing impeccable dance music in the late 80s.

Didn’t quite happen, but at least we got Lisa Stansfield

5 Likes

Anything by Natalie Imbruglia.
And the Sundays

I’m now signing out forever… bye

1 Like

We have an annual happening roughly translated as The World Championship Of Music. It’s like a christmas party for the Finnish dj scene. The idea is that every dj takes one song (preferably a 12") and plays it with real conviction and dedication as all the other djs listen and drink beer. The judges pick the best songs and in the end of night there’s one song that’s picked as the best choice and the dj who played that is announced as the World Champion Of Music. He/she gets a trophy and for the next year can call himself/herself the World Champion Of Music in his posters etc. In 2018 my friend rightfully won this title by playing All Around The World by Lisa Stansfield.

Every year the winner is something that people would consider a guilty pleasure. I have a couple of very good ideas for a winning tune for 2020.

3 Likes