Gotharman

I was intrigued for a long time & heard a lot of good things about Gotharman. Picked up a 2nd hand Deformer 2 last year & love it!
Hear a lot on comparisions with the OT. TBH I see it more like the Mnm with additional sampling power. 16 synth/sample engines with flexible 4 bus routing, mod bus, LFO’s & the deepest craziest fx ever. Utterly mad unit!

Be really interested to hear how you progress with the AMoNo X Prints.

I was looking at the deformer too. Looks insane. Not many videos/reviews or anything around last time I looked tho. Good to hear you’re digging it. Revived the GAS tho :confused:

I’m genuinely surprised more people haven’t picked them up!
Flemming is a top dude! Had mine upgraded & he was brilliant to deal with.
Nice when you can email the main man directly:-)

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something,
What is so special about this box?

How is programming the sequencer on the LD2? I wanna pick up another Gotharman device, and am trying to decide between the LD2 with the SP filter expansion or the Fuzion for a little extra $

Had quick look at the contents page on the manual. Didn’t realise this thing samples too? Can you give me a brief description of the sampling features? Like polyphony etc. Is it more like using a sample as an osc? Granular like the weird modular samplers you see around? Or can you do stuff like build drumkits from samples and sequence them? Will try to read through the manual properly tonight if get some time… It looks Octatrackesque in terms of depth (at least in amount of Manual pages ;). Be cool if you could do some quick vids once you’re settled in to it :slight_smile:

It might not be special to you. That’s ok.

1 Like

Programming the Seq is pretty straight forward but basic, well compared to something like Cirklon.
It has probability & pattern length. It has 4 controller tracks per TRACK, if you want Pitch then you assign it. You can build templates & save them.
It doesn’t have a separate Pitch row/track, it has 4 controller tracks within each TRACK.
Each controller track has its own separate reset & clock division, think about that for a minute, thats nuts…very modular.
Essentially its like on an Elektron having independant placements of Pitch steps & Filter mods & Trigs (Gates) etc all with their own separate reset & clock division but still tied to that TRACK. It’s barking mad & I love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t even had a chance to mess with the sampling features on the Anamono X yet; haven’t even scratched the surface with the synth (and I can’t stop messing with it). There’s only one audio input, so sampling can only be mono. But the latest update just added the ability to use the two outputs as stereo out, so the ability to load and process stereo samples might be a possibility. The samples can be loaded to one of the 5 oscillators, so I guess you can look at it as 5 layers of samples. The processing capabilities are bonkers though. The effects have an extreme and lo-fi quality; I really like them.

First and foremost, I love the sound. This gritty, complex, gnarly sound fits my aesthetic perfectly. In a few days, I’ve grown to love the quirky UI. There’s a modulation button instead of a page; instead of going to a modulation page with limited slots, you just press the modulation button on whatever page you are, and then you’re able to assign modulation to everything on the page at once. So much to modulate; every oscillator outputs slow settings that can be assigned as modulation sources.

The filters are amazing. Some of the best damn filters I’ve ever heard with so much character. I have two of the dual filters. There’s feedback, distortion, and a peak setting that adjusts the second BP filter on each one. Then there’s an additional G-Ray section for each dual filter that has all types of parameters for adding more grit.

I posted a quick demo, but then took it down because 10 min later I created a patch that was way cooler. I’ll post another one at some point.

2 Likes

Re Deformer 2
It’s a 16 Track sampler if thats what you want. You can mix & match.
You could do chains, everything is by ear tho, no graphical representation. I prefer that, too much looking at stuff these days lol
Each Sample Track has start - fine - length - loop - bus selection - abiltiy to trig another a sample on another track & when it does it! - phase - level - 10 different filter types & thats all before the Bus filter/Compressor/Gate/SRR/BRR (with delay & feedback control)
It’s granular fx are out of this World - bonkers.

It’s deep but the basics are pretty straight forward. It’s quirky & unpredictable especially the fx. If you write a line you’ll get repeatable results but you’re never quite sure what the hell the fx are doing - its ace lol

Keep meaning to get some vids out there…

2 Likes

16 Synths or samples each with -

start - fine - length - loop - bus selection - abiltiy to trig another a sample on another track & when it does it! - phase - level - 10 different filter types & thats all before the Bus filter/Compressor/Gate/SRR/BRR (with delay & feedback control)

10 LFO
32 Mod busses
Each track has 4 sub controller tracks, each with independent clock div & reset.
choice of 4 audio busses
Remembers Tempo & Mute status on a Pattern basis
Compressor
Gate
SRR
BRR
Filter Bank
5 Distortion engines
The craziest Delay/Granular based FX I’ve heard.

Then there’s the CV compatibility - 4 Trig In - 4 Trig Out - 4 CV In - 2 CV Out

For gods sake don’t buy one…its mine…all mine ha ha ha ha ha :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Gotta get hands on one, I’ve heard the filters are awesome!
If the Mod bus is anything like the DF2 then I’m sold :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have any of the expansion boxes for the LD2? The main reason I want to get one is so I can use that SP box. I really want to know more about it.

MKII ANAX
Brilliant!!!

1 Like

It’s all yours. :grin:

1 Like

I feel like I’ve discovered some awesome secret, and I guess I don’t really care if nobody realizes how cool this synth is. There’s only a handful that exist at the moment. This is my secret weapon now… it’s mine… all mine… :wink:

I don’t think it’s a secret.
People have been aware of these boxes for years.
No doubt they sound great from the demos out there but the reason no one has them, is I am sure like me it’s hard to spend this amount of coin on a box that looks so damn diy. That color screen is hideous. Why?
Thats the reason why these things are pretty rare in the wild. If these things were half their price I’d have em all as they are really weird like me. Sure everyone else would also.
Been trying to snag a second hand gotharman for years

It wouldn’t be right for this to be half the price. They’re made from high-quality components, an obvious amount of hard-work went into creating these instruments, and they offer features you can’t find elsewhere. Again, I like the screen and the DIY feel of it; it’s a quirky instrument no doubt. Fortunately, there’s so many other options for you in this day & age with regards to synths. The screen, and the DIY-feel may ultimately be what turns you off about this instrument, but everything it offers is precisely what is so compelling about this instrument to me. This is a Gotharman synth, and that’s exactly how I want it. I can think of “prettier” synths that I have no interest in.

Yes agree just stating a fact that because of price is why these things aren’t more popular.
This thing is a beast no doubt and I’m tempted to sell my left nut to get one :grinning:

1 Like

Felt like that when I got mine. Couldn’t believe more people haven’t picked up on it!
tIB & Neil Baldwin were raving about the DF years ago, that was my first introduction.

One man operation & Flemming designs them to meet his own needs.
Don’t think he’s right interested in the business side of things. It’s extremely boutique so they’re obviously gonna be expensive. After sales is first class tho & that’s worth its weight in gold.

Not mentioning names but theire are a couple of Euro manufacturers I won’t touch again b’cos their support is crap.