Good kick drum synth to work with digitakt?

I think one of the best kick drums is the volka beats. Period.

4 Likes

Vodka beats. Hits you in the face. Twice.

4 Likes

I use my volca beats just for the kick at this point. It’s a good kick plus you get the stutter feature. Sequenced from either the dt or the mnm. I used to use it for the hats as well but not any more.

5 Likes

At this moment i would definitely need a vodka kick. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, 8 channels is very potential. But i record straight live in to daw every instrument so in that case it helps mixing if i have main kick and snare separately. I dont know how that overbridge will change the game but i like very mutch this oldschool live recording style.
That p-locking thing helps a lot with controll all-mode, so that isnt proplem anymore.

One session i made like this: main kick and snare from digitone and other drums from digitone. That was cool way doing it but i just used preset sounds in digitone and that is a big no no. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On a big system the beats kick is just insane. It really should require 18 inch cones to really hear what it does. It has a really round deep low end. Hats,snare, and other stuff are fine with samples.

1 Like

Roland TM-2 is a 4 voice .wav drum module to consider if you need more voices.
They run about $150-$175
It has a left/right stereo output. You can pan things hard or soft.
Would give you 12 total sample voices and 4 total outputs with Digitakt. EQ/Comp on board too.

I used it a lot with A4 MK1.
Did whole tracks with just the pair, and nothing else

Have it loaded up with samples from every drum machine imaginable.

The 4 sample voices (16bit, 44.1khz, stereo or mono) can be triggered via CV OR MIDI. Samples are imported by and live on an SDHC card. When triggering via MIDI, they are velocity sensitive. (no midi p-lock of parameters, though)
Choke groups are available and optional, too.

If you are “bad at making kicks”, a sample based solution would be best.

3 Likes

Jomox Mbase. Kicks like a mule. I’ve got an Mbase01 I could let go for $150 USD. PM if interested.

1 Like

Nice crunchy sound with this one. Lofi but not too lofi.

You can creat bass drums with almost any synth. Fast envelopes are a must.

Karis recipe for Kicks

What you need:

• 1-2 Oscillators (Sine, Triangle)
  • 2 envelope generators (the faster the better)
  • Filter, low pass 24db/O (4pol) with self resonance

One envelope opens the filter and modulates the pitch of the OSC 1. the other modulates the volumen. Use only the decay to open the filter very quick, if you have fast enough envelopes you can use a little bit attack for the pitch modulation. Make sure that the decay phase for the filter is shorter as the one for the amplifier. If you have a second oscillator you can use it to sync the main OSC 1. Or you can use FM from 2->1. If your filter can self resonate you can use this effect as sound source for your kick. For more woody type percussion start with a triangle wave.

Use (if possible) a EQ and compressor until it feels like you get a kick in your stomach.

But what i really trying to tell you is: Buy a modular system! :wink:

7 Likes

It is so close that i’m just gonna buy another digitakt. :smiley: that would be simplest way to do my thing. I dont wanna buy OT yet, even thou it would be a good thing to save more money and get that(not interested in mk 1). But at this point i only need it for drums and digitakt is better for that(also dt is great for synth sounds). So yeah, i have to think about this option more.
Bytheway, if i connect two digitakts in to daw, does it notice that there is two different dt in use and let me use midi connections correctly?

Hello folks…! It’s me again. Just came here to tell you what i end up with and it’s analog 4. :stuck_out_tongue:
I tried those preset drum sounds and i like the kick sound very mutch. I really hope i can work with this but time will tell. I think i’m gonna use track 1-2 for drums and track 3-4 for synths. Also gonna control those drums with digitakts midi so i have a drum project saved in one machine.
Feeling good about this.

4 Likes

congrats, the A4 is a great drumsynth.

1 Like

Any good drum sound patch pack for analog 4 available? (:

Edit: omg, i need to check these out https://www.elektron.se/soundpacks/

Congrats on the A4. I was going to recommend sampling a kick. I’ve given up on sample packs and synthesis.

I hear a good kick on a track, I sample it and use it.

1 Like

With that said, the Rytm has a monster analog kick. Which I use as well.

Oh nice choice! I was pretty astounded by how good of drum sounds you can make on the A4 when I got one. Really diverse pallet so you don’t really feel shoehorned into a specific sound. Only real downside is it takes a decent chunk of time to do sound design on it, more flexibility also means more time trying things… feels a bit bottomless but still very good.

1 Like

This is the best percussion pack for the A4

4 Likes

Can you not just use the Digitakt as a drum synth? :slight_smile:

It’s a sampler