Analog Four + Roland TM-2 Workflow Video

I made a video on how to configure the Roland TM-2 .wav trigger module to receive 4 CV trigs from Elektron’s Analog Four synthesizer.
Also includes tips on CV trigger sequencing on the A4, plus tips on navigating the TM-2.

5 Likes

Great idea. Thanks

Thanks!

The A4 setup and sequencing could also be applied to the Nord Drum, Jomox Mbase/Mbrane, or other drum modules with trigger inputs…

1 Like

Can it be triggered by MIDI in? If so it could also be a nice addition to OT.

Can it be triggered by MIDI in? If so it could also be a nice addition to OT.[/quote]
Yes.
MIDI in and Out. Good for OT, MM, and MD.
You can customize note numbers for each trigger within each kit, and it receives MIDI program change as well (though there is a pause while it loads another kit).
Sadly, no CC# control of the internal parameters, but no surprise at $199 street.

It can even be used as a CV trigger to MIDI converter ala Alesis IO Trigger.

1 Like

Can it be triggered by MIDI in? If so it could also be a nice addition to OT.[/quote]
Yes.
MIDI in and Out. Good for OT, MM, and MD.
You can customize note numbers for each trigger within each kit, and it receives MIDI program change as well (though there is a pause while it loads another kit).
Sadly, no CC# control of the internal parameters, but no surprise at $199 street.

It can even be used as a CV trigger to MIDI converter ala Alesis IO Trigger.[/quote]
That’s great, I think I will buy one. Thanks!

Here’s a great deal on a 2nd hand TM-2
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1025058/

1 Like

I bought one today.
It’s a bit noisy (at least on headphone output), but it’s designed for percussion, so no complains here. I wish it were a bit smaller and had the MIDI socket on top.

I spent a lot of time today figuring out how to setup A4 with it. It turns out my A4 does not send triggers via CV B :frowning: So I will either send A4 for a warranty repair or will live with 3 CV sends, at least for now. :zonked:

The good news is TM-2 works well with OT.
It needs single MIDI channel. By sending different notes on 4 MIDI tracks on OT you can trigger all 4 samples separately.

TM-2 has a bunch of effects, but only one can be used at a time. Not a big deal. I like Reverb the most.

It saves 4 tracks on OT or adds at least 2 tracks to A4. So far I like it.

The line outputs are considerably less noisy than the headphone output.

1 Like

That’s right.
Do you use regular tracks as a CV source for layering with samples? In that way you can use more tracks on TM-2.
Another way would be to use both FX and CV as a dedicated tracks for 2 trigs on TM-2.
Btw, My A4 is fine. The issue were a trigger settings on TM-2. PADx2 is a way to go.

I use the CV track to utilize all four TM-2 triggers and p-lock the source for all 4 CV trigs on each step. For some people, it may sound like a bit of work, but I’ve become quite fast in programming it all there.

The FX track source is left blank for my CV out sources to “play no trig”, aside from some trig-less trigs for FX automation.

It’s all in the video.

1 Like

Great info ! Thanx… :+1:

Used the TM-2 at gig last night, for the first time, and it’s got a good punch to it on a big system. Recording to follow…

My TM-2 kits all use the compressor effect so that I can get even more output gain going into the A4’s external inputs.

1 Like

another TM-2 update… As I’ve been borrowing a 606 and have come to love the tom drums more and more, I’ve been on a quest to get a more full kit out of the A4 + TM-2 combo. The key here was understanding what the A4 can and can’t do. It cannot do the cluster OSC 606 CY/CH/OH sound, so best to leave those voices to the TM-2. This meant focusing on the snare in the A4.

I’ve squeaked a convincing DR-110/606 snare out of the A4. leaving room for 606 CY sound on the TM-2.
So now I can get a whole 606ish kit out of one A4 voice (LT, HT, SD) + TM-2 (Kick, CH, OH, CY).
And even better, on that single A4 voice, free steps can be populated by some 808 maracas (via sound locks), a sound the A4 can also do convincingly.

That leaves 3 A4 voices for bass, lead, hooks, bleeps, washes, etc. A great combo for electro.
Here’s a clip of the combo, before I substituted the TM-2 snare for CY, and moved the snare to the A4. https://clyp.it/uied2nti

1 Like

Do you often change sounds on TM-2? I have a lot of samples on the SD card, but I keep using the same all the time.
Sometimes I have that stupid idea to get a second TM-2 to have 8 dedicated drum sounds.

I do. I use the kits and I have loads of samples on it, plus I am adding new samples often.

My method for keeping the A4 and TM-2 coupled is by Kit #. My A4 project has a kit # and name - I name the TM-2 kit the exact same name, and use the same Kit # slot. I’ll also use a # sign on the A4 kit name, as this tells me the kit references the TM-2 (handy to make the association quick when I’m playing live, and I use the @ sign on my A4 and Rytm kits for kits and patterns that require the A4+Rytm pairing).

I’ve mentioned it before, but I wish the TM-2 had about 4x more kit memory, considering you can have a 32GB card inside. 99 kits won’t be enough. I figure I can squeeze those into 3 A4 projects max (32 tunes in each). Nomenclature will get tricky with the 2nd and 3rd projects.

1 Like

Turns out an extra 2U blank rack panel, behind an A4, on a $13 Amazon laptop riser, gives a nice floating platform for my TM-2.
And the space beneath is perfect for the Xkey 37 I just ordered in a last ditch effort to resist buying an Analog Keys :loopy:

Hoping for a more ergonometric experience than AK too, as this gives the A4 screen a nice viewing angle with closer access.

1 Like

Do you have a voice left in A4 to use with a dedicated keyboard?

Not sure that I understand your question.
I’d be using the Xkey37 for note input to the sequencer, more octaves than 1, plus multi-map sound locks and such.

Using MIDI Auto-channel to input notes on each track.