Glue Compressor Hardware solution

Also DSP and CPU usage displayed in iPad apps are misleading at best and completely inaccurate at worst. It shows the largest number of a sampling of time. On an exaggerated level, say the time sampling was 1 min, and the entire time it was at 5%, and for 1ms of that iOS did its own background task for something and it went to 90%, it would show you use are using 90% cpu for the entire minute.

Those levels are completely untrustworthy. The on,y thing that matters is when it starts to crackle. I’ve had AUM project showing over 100% cpu and 0 issues.

Yea for sure. The HPF does take away the bass frequency but only if you have the mix knob turned up too much. So the trick is to just bring the mix in around 30-40%. This will keep the low end intact. I also am still able to get audible effects from the filter, so I tend to work that while I print the entire mix. Adds a little extra movement to everything.

Also lets me distort a little heavier and then blend that in. So basically I am compressing and distorting the mix in parall and then blending it in without losing lows.

2 Likes

The ART Pro VLA II is an excellent bus compressor in spite of its economical price. The Warm Audio Bus Comp is another one of my favorites.

3 Likes

You could try an old DBX 266XL or 166XL. Those are going for cheap on second hand markets.

I really like the DBX 166A as a budget SSL-style bus comp. Slow mode, Contour in, 3:1 ratios or lower, and taking off only a few DB max

really like how it handles low end information, and since it’s an RMS comp I feel like it handles mixbus duties well, just have to keep the ratios low or else it starts to feel too grabby

also like using the peakstop limiter just to catch any stray peaks, not doing duty as a full limiter just as a final top ceiling

2 Likes

how fast is the fastest attack on the boum? I really like doing parallel compression but I want to be able to really slam the attack as fast as it’ll go to achieve the affect I want

I have a heat. I don’t use the heat live. Why? Its extra gear and complication. I have to lug it around with me. I spend extra time designing my scenes and sounds so that compression isn’t needed. I even had a pair of ELX Distressors and an RNC. It’s just a waste of time.

If you need only home use, just use a VST. It costs nothing and as few steps as possible. Pre-Prepare scenes for the OT and use computer VSTs to saturate your source. It’s okay if a track isnt slammed with a soundcloud limiter. It will sound more than good on club PA if you do your due diligence for sound design.

I really don’t like the way RNC sounds over my hardware mixes btw. Heat probably works best… but 95% of what I use it for is in my DAW for filters and distortions. El cheapo hw compressors are just gonna sound worse than vst.

3 Likes

Left field suggestion, SP404mk2. Has compressor, has 303 vinyl sim. Doesn’t really have sidechain.

If ipad is an option, RoughRider is free and can sidechain.

4 Likes

I just remembered of this one… I guess I’m old… :slight_smile:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tl-audio-fat-man-fat-1

1 Like

I’d describe it as ‘fast enough’, but hopefully this is helpful :slight_smile:

Yea as @BassesAndPads (appropriate name :sweat_smile: ) mentions that’s probably because you’re at 100% mix - the lo cut works best with parallel compression, as then you can just shave off the first 75hz for the distortion/compression but leave it intact in the dry mix.

4 Likes

oop yeah 50 microseconds is pretttty fast

OTO Boum all the way here too. apart from the compressor you get a nice drive and an awesome filter

2 Likes

the lpf is also my gauge for how wet everything is. very useful in that way, and just beautiful sounding

i wanted to thank you for this advice. i have been careful to not keep the Boum fully wet most of the time, but i never really went below 50-60% out of some obsessive urge to keep less transparent in my mix since its at the end of my hardware chain. i think i always just assumed it would be useless, but setting it anywhere from 20-45% actually allows me to use tube in a really sweet kind of subtle and very musical way that i never have before. this rules. the tube circuit sounds amazing when its not overpowering the frequency spectrum and made me fall in love with this machine again

this thing sounds unreal. i still cant go much past 75hz on the lo cut, but sometimes i can do 150 and its clearly helpful in certain instances. i still like to keep my rytm and syntakt kicks pumping/booming in that range with a relatively slow attack on the compressor, but not as slow as i’ve been used to.

anyway, this has helped me re-think how i approach the Boum, and i appreciate it very much. i love this sound. thanks again

im also kind of curious if Boum users typically add any input gain because i tried for a very short period but now i leave it at 0. i guess now that m working closer to 30% wet i could bring more of that in without bringing up the noise floor too much

2 Likes

I use the Platform pedal from electro-harmoxx as a master compressor.
It is stereo and has a nice overdrive in addition to the compressor and limiter.

1 Like

Another option to consider:

Has saturation, and a SC HPF (bonus!)
Add a 4ms “X” pod case and a dual channel preamp/attenuator (Strymon AA.1)

Looking at $465 out the door (ish)

1 Like

This looks really good and I generally like EH stuff. Gotta hear how it sounds.

Did you ever get to try this is real life, or we’re you already out of Eurorack when it came out? (You quit Eurorack right?)

If you can handle a soldering iron and follow basic instructions, i would suggest this:

Sounds good and inexpensive.

2 Likes

If you want to loose some high frequencies.

1 Like

We should define what “cheap” means:
existing compressors on the market start at $ 20 and can go as high as $ 10k and more.
If you state your budget you may have more detailed advice on what to buy

Extreme convenience vs Extreme quality:

Behringer CL9
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CL9ped--behringer-cl9-compressor-limiter-pedal

Elysia alpha Two mastering compressor
https://vintageking.com/elysia-alpha-compressor