Glue Compressor Hardware solution

Hi all!

I’m trying to take my Elektron’s away from my desk (screen is always on and it’s my working space as well, just doesn’t feel cozy / inspiring).
I run my OT into Ableton where a simple Glue Compressor and Limiter (stock plugins, sometimes Pro-C from FabFilter) are boosting the signal a bit but more important; really improves the Oomph and thickness.

Is there a relatively cheap hardware solution you’d recommend to fill this roll? Analog Heat would be overkill, since the Stock Glue Compressor is doing so much for the sound already.

I’ve tried with the OT compressor on the Master, but I never got similar results. I’m using a filter and delay now for scenes.

1 Like

Cheap? No, there isn’t.
But there are lot of compressors on the market: the cheapest would be the ehx platform, but it completely smash all the frequency above 20khz or so…

1 Like

I wanted to suggest the EHX Platform as well, but I never tested it :slight_smile:

About that :

No human can hear above 20kHz :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Seeing the Ableton one is mapped on the SSL Bus Compressor… It is indeed not inexpensive :smiley: thanks for the suggestion, will check it out. Get’s a lot of good reviews on Amazon.de

1 Like

Hardware compressors and cheap rarely go hand in hand … but there are a couple of units out there under 1000 euro that are worth checking out . The FMR Audio RNC and Warm Audio Stereo Bus come to mind …

7 Likes

OT compressor is included for free ! :content:
I’d give it more attention.

Do you need side Chain ?
Alesis 3630 was used by Daft Punk.
Suonobuono nABC (not that cheap)

There are cheap compressors like Behringer compressors, I have an old Autocom, but I don’t like it. Doesn’t worth more than 80$…

Not a compressor at all. Fake.

I’d want an OTO BOUM !

8 Likes

Sidechain would be lovely, to sidechain the DT drums or internal drums. I use Ableton for that as well

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t remember the exact value and I used the wrong term (“around” not “above” was my intention) so i searched and I found it has an hi-cut at 15.5khz. So, in my opinion, is unusable at the end of the chain.

2 Likes

Thanks! RNC looks good!

3 Likes

I’d check DBX compressors, there are pretty cheap ones. Behringer, Art, FMR…

I got a RNC a year and a half ago for like €125/150 second hand, and I haven’t felt yet like needing something better. I might want to try a limiter at some point too - if I don’t try some Eurorack module, I’m sure I’ll go for the RNLA as I’m so happy with my RNC.

4 Likes

Someone is selling a drawmer1968MKII for a good price on this forum…Cough :innocent: :sweat_smile:

Probably not considered as “cheap” though…

Sorry, that was the advertisement break.

1 Like

still more treble than we had for most of the 1990s tho.

(tounge in cheek, but as I am over 40 my ears have a hi-cut at 15k anyway… enjoy 17k while you can youngsters! )

8 Likes

FMR Audio RNC
Joe Meek “green” compressor (if you can find it used)
Alesis Nano Compressor (if you can find it used)
Alesis Micro Limiter

3 Likes

FMR Audio RNC.
I have it at the end of my audio chain and I am actually mixing into it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Loads of points for the RNC!
Will get that one for sure. Not seeing any second hands unfortunately.

I disabled my Glue Compressor yesterday and didn’t like the sound half as much lol

1 Like

I’ve heard really good things about these, and I do fancy one. Depends if Tom Bugs ever decides to make them again.

4 Likes

At the second hand prices I see on Reverb, buying a new one seems more than reasonable :slight_smile:
Where I live (Spain), there are quite a few ones going on Wallapop for 160€/180€. At the moment none though.

2 Likes

I have a warm audio bus comp i really like it. I did a bunch of a/b’ing with Ableton’s glue compressor and they are very close. Cytomic did a very good job with glue imo.

FMR RNLA with a 150-200Hz Sidechain HPF in the detection circuit! Works like a charm

3 Likes