Glou-Glou Loupé - Looper Pedal

Yeah I got one in the first batch - it’s an extremely cool device but I found it a bit fiddly to get an adequate workflow with it and the rest of my gear initially. The main drawback is the lack of MIDI imo: I think it would have been very tricky for Glou Glou to do a full MIDI implementation given the idiosyncratic way everything relating to the clock works, but just being able to address the core functions through MIDI messages would have meant being able to sequence record messages (octatrack style), keeping my hands free to actually play the thing I’m trying to record. That I say “hands” is pretty crucial here as well - I don’t really see how this could work for someone without it at hand level, as using a foot to engage the non-stomp switches is a nonstarter, and you definitely want all the switches/buttons accessible! You also have a few functions that you’re going to want to keep on every game (undo, record, multiply, overdub, replace) which limits the number of free switches to load up with the funky stuff, but you can always switch back and forth between games while your loop is going so this isn’t such a big deal.

I’ve definitely found my groove with it now though, and I think it really shines once you’ve synced it up. Of course you only have a sync out so Loupe has to be your master clock (this will make a lot of sense when you start using functions that change the length of the loop), but it works pretty well as one. I send the clock triggers to a Befaco VCMC module to convert it into MIDI clock that then goes to my elektrons, an IO Labs Flux sequencer, Pulsar-23 and Ableton, and this is rock solid. The only real issue is lack of a start/stop output, but I use Maths and VCMC to create a start message when record is hit on the Loupe (and it starts sending triggers) and a stop message when Loupe is stopped (and stops sending triggers).

My typical thing is to use the record/bpm mode to give me an empty 1 or 2 bar loop on Loupe in sync with everything else that will have started up the moment I hit record, which I can then overdub/replace into and manipulate as I jam. What is super cool is using the quantised versions of the length changing functions to get Loupe going in 3/4 or 5/4 (or whatever you want!) against everything else (which is still receiving clock defined by the original loop). You can also just do unquantised record and it’ll try to work out a BPM (and will keep doing so for all loop length changing), which can be quite interesting. It’ll always think whatever you record initially is ‘1 bar’ for the sake of bpm detection though, so doesn’t work so well with long loops (it actually divides the clock for v short loops so it’s not bad there). Other faves are replace (for punching in silence or creating very interesting textural loops), the sample rate reduction feature “redux” is super nice and crunchy, and of course scroll and infinite reverse are totally unique to the Loupe and great. It has a really unique workflow for a looper (kinda like a mega powered CBA Blooper but with enough real estate to take advantage of all its functionality + all echoplex functionality) and now that I’ve finally found a methodology that clicks with me I’m getting superb results. To be honest I also feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface of its power…

6 Likes

are you doing any video stuff with this set up? i’d love to SEE what you’re doing, please!

1 Like

oi you, all loop coolers… i want my loupe now!

1 Like

Got mine today! Beyond confusing until I watched some tutorials. The basics are pretty simple now. This thing is absolutely insane, in the best way. Can’t wait to dive deeper. Happy pedals like this are built for us to play around with!

2 Likes

Ahah, great name indeed :smiley:

2nd batch of Loupe’s are going out, and I got mine yesterday. Deep device!
I want to use the record/bpm mode to preset tempo, but cannot seem to find where to set the bpm.
Page 30 of user guide says

“In the Game Edit menu, turn ECD1 to the [BPM] line and use ECD2 to select
a tempo, from 30BPM to 250BPM”

…but I’m not finding the [BPM] line. I’ve assigned TSW5 to ‘Record/BPM’ & it looks like it’s doing someing bpm’ish. Just can’t spec the tempo!

Any insights on what I may be missing? Many thanks!

2 Likes

Okay. I got it! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

such a slammin combo

5 Likes

Just got mine too (white model). It was a bit of a roller coaster as FedEx delivered the pedal to the wrong place (and I actually had to go door to door in my hood to find it…and I did which is fortunate).

Opened the box and the pedal has 6 very visible hexagonal / round dent marks on the top of the pedal (drilling marks for the various switches essentially to indicate where the drilling was likely to happen). I contacted Glou Glou and they told me there was an issue in production and the whole series was showing the same defect.

At $700 a pop, I find it a bit out there to ship 100 dented pedals - Am i over-reacting? If you got one from that batch, what do you make of it? Would you send it back and get a refund (because it cannot be replaced since the whole available series is the same)?

I am peculiar about my stuff and i like it generally spotless. Equally - which is not my style as i hardly sell anything - such defects would likely impact resell value. What do you think?

1 Like

There’s a thread about this exact thing on the gear page. A couple people pissed about it. Some saying it’s such a powerful and unique pedal and might be hard to get again with the state of things.

The maker chimed in and said he didn’t even think it would matter to people, as this batch is more secure and robust.

For what it’s worth I didn’t realize they were blemishes. I just thought they were an interesting design choice. I can’t see myself ever parting with this pedal, so it doesn’t bother me at all, and I’m usually pretty particular about things being mint and stuff.

2 Likes

Ah - was not aware. Thanks for flagging and for the perspective. That is a sane way to look at things!

3 Likes

Anyone wanna bet in 10 years the defected pedals will be worth more than the mint ones?

So as far as I understood there’s no way to save you loops on a card or elsewhere and get back to them in a future?

Are there any other “interesting” loopers with such functionality besides maybe EHX 45000?

RC 505 saves everything you do as far as I know.

Too big and “boring” for me…
By interesting, I mean something with “multiply”, “insert”, “devide” functions, etc… more into Echoplex, Blooper, Loupe direction…

Blooper can save up to 16 loops which is good, but it’s not like having a hundred…

:+1:

Check out the poly effects beebo looper … EHX oriented though think you’ll need an extra midi controller to make it comfortable.

No doubt, working with a couple of different synced loopers connected that have different workflows is a lot of fun.
I always want a few audio outs recording from the different stages and sources so as I can reconstruct the happy accidents.

505 is large, and not cool as a CBA pedal, but it is capable and customisable. Has a lot of decent onboard effects. However the new 404 might come closer to a mangler, but I haven’t dug dug deeply enough into it as an easy to integrate looper. Seems there is more stop start to the Roland model than is good for looping flow, but beatboxers seem to thrive on the 505.

I always remind myself I just have GAS and my old Octatrack can do it all…

Loupe looked great, and the aura of the glou glou brand is strong. Didn’t push me over the edge to a purchase though. However I am eyeing up their moutard pedal…

1 Like

yes, looper is very much about control which can fit or not fit your style… atm I’m more or less ok with Tensor for micro looping and old ehx 2880… probably will upgrade to 4500 for memory…

It has to be instant and fun!

hi all,
if anyone’s thinking about selling their Loupe, I’m your chance to recoup your investments and more. well, at least you’ll get a deal better than recent sellers got at Reverb :wink:
though I suppose noone’s gonna part with such a rare treasure

1 Like

I need something that has the Loupe features but looks like the polyend tracker :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes