Give ‘em an inch - Adam A7X or A8X?

Indeed. I have been using the Events for over 20 years… it’s a committed relationship and I know them so well that they’ve allowed me to move from house to house with little acclimation time needed in each new room. However, they are old and the transformers are emitting a faint hum that’s quite noticeable in my current room. It’s time for them to go, honestly, if they were still available new, I’d just buy another pair. I would be more than happy to avoid ‘learning’ a new pair of monitors.

2 Likes

If buying from a physical shop, maybe they will let you take both sets home to test for a week or two? That would be the wisest move. Might be worth comparing with the EVE range as well.

Back seat driving not withstanding, the gut says if you were on 8 inch speakers already and your room is quite large, then staying with the same size speaker going to be the safest way to avoid needing a sub and having enough watts and air pressure to fill the space.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m gravitating toward the A8Xs. Unfortunately, test drives aren’t possible… I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing but crops and cows.

Sounds like complaining neighbours aren’t an issue, A8x for the win there.
I have had the OG A7’s for 12 years or so, and they needed a sub to shine. From what I have heard of the A7x’s in other studios and testing, the bass is a little better, but they improved moreso with a sub as well.

2 Likes

This is a good point. If price isn’t a barrier, the space is bigger, something new is required, and neighbors aren’t an issue, then 8 over 7 is a pretty solid bet.

2 Likes

Also, if the A8X don’t need the addition of a Sub, 500$ is nothing.

1 Like

Seems like the 8s are the clear winner (no pun intended).

1 Like

I mean, if T9Vs were available when I was shopping… :smiley:

1 Like

I have Neumann KH120A + Dynaudio 9S subwoofer :star_struck: killer combo! :skull:

3 Likes

APS Klasik2020, amazing value for such quality. 7inch going down to 39Hz ±2dB. Adam’s at my friends studio always sounded too heavy in the low end and somewhat unnatural.

1 Like

Yeah, Neumanns come pretty highly recommended… I’m told by people who’s ears I definitely trust they’re above Adams.

I’m considering these, but not as much, I just doubt I’d need to ever buy another pair of speakers if I shelled out.

+/-2db at 36hz. It’s tricky the a5x’s are pretty reasonable prices, adam sub7 is only £320 too. Neumann kh120 is nearly twice the price atm.

I’m told this Sub is really nice for the money too.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/fluid-audio-f8s

These 3-way Neumanns are good but you need a larger room and proper positinioning. Too often I see here that people dont even have the monitors setup correctly and expect great results. Find the best spot in your room, apply acoustic treatment and use room EQ, otherwise spending lots of money is useless and better buy good headphones, imo.

I read quite a few user reviews online, who switched from Event Monitors to Neumann KH 120s. Some Guys said it was an huge upgrade, since the Neumanns did not sound completely diffrent from the Events, rather just better in almost every way.
Think, the Neumanns will replace my trusty Event TR6 this year, which I´m used to for years, because I actually like the sound of Events, but want more details.

2 Likes

I’m moving at the end of October, so if I get the right sort of space I’ll think about it then, it would be the end of the Monitor Quest… Otherwise, Probably the 5’s and the 7sub. It just might be worth an extra £1,200 not to ever have to think about it again.

Plus watching films on them would be ridiculous. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sub is great if it works but if it doesnt it can be a pain. What I mean its great for movies or music fun listening but if the room isnt great and without much acoustic treatment then sub might make it hard to mix even more than without one. Thats why its great to have a second setup 2.1 for hifi in the living room (or a car, etc) rather than rely on something that might not be entirely flat in the studio where its crucial.
I was also thinking of Neumann kh120 + sub but decided its too much of a hassle and too expensive. At this point it makes much more sense to buy good 7-8inch and invest in the acoustic treatment + room EQ (in my case Sonarworks). Klasik2020 satisfies me well enough without adding a sub and having good headphones (Ollo S4X) is cheaper and less problematic than 2.1, cannot recommend enough the APS monitors even though Im in no way affilited with them and actually bought them after seeing good reviews.
Edit: also you basically need 2 subs for flat response, 1 isnt as good, so price goes up as well as complexity of the setup.

2 Likes

I had the Fluid Audio F5, they were good, but a little bit boomy compared to the KH120A. One con is that you can adjust only the volume and you can’t control gain and bass/mid/high’s dB.

Btw an alternative to Adams could be also the HEDD Type 05 / 07

1 Like

I’ve just realized that I may have been looking at this all wrong. My Event 2020 BAS don’t have an 8" woofer, but a 7.1" cone. Maybe the A7X would be a better match after all…

I tried to replace my event 20/20 bas too, without success.

I´ve only direct-compared two monitors against them so far:
Eve-audio sc-305 and dynaudios LYD 8.

Got the eves as B-stock from thomann for very cheap.
I liked them a lot, very nice stereo but not enough bass, as expected.
considered going for the 307s but those are too big for me.
Maybe the 207 or 208 (give em an inch) would be an option.

The Dynaudio Lyd 8s I didn´t like at all. got them cheap on ebay.
Maybe not bad for mixing but … I just hated them.
bassport on the rear can be problematic.

Coming back to the events.
when it comes to high frequencies and room/stereo
they are a plain catastrophy compared to the other two monitors,
but the overall sound and bass just fit perfect in my room, that´s why i like them so much.

I needed some break searching for new monitors.
Reading about monitors too much can make you mad.

I really recommend getting both models A7x and A8x and compare them in your room.

because I use the events a lot for just listening music I also considered replacing them with old school HIFI boxes and add
another pair of smaller monitors (5 inch)

1 Like

If you buy monitors for 1K then invest in a measuring mic, its cheap and will help you a lot to find the best spot and see what is actually coming out of them. You might not like what you hear but that might actually be how the music sounds elsewhere. Monitors should translate and not sound ‘nice’.

1 Like