Gibson killed Cakewalk

Cakewalk Is Now Free!

This is the full complete package, same as Sonar Platinum – not a trial or a limited system. (Though it doesn’t have third party software that had been bundled with Sonar before.)

Cakewalk by Bandlab

Plus it’s back under development – so expect new features.

Windows only at the moment, but likely Mac too later.

4 Likes

so do i need to buy logic as well to use Auto sampler?

Nope, comes with mainstage…

Logic and mainstage are completely separate programs but share a lot of similarities. Logic is for multitrack recording, Mainstage is for live performance but it can capture the master stereo output of the performance… There’s no interaction between them and no benifit to either one by having the other…

1 Like

Gibson is now in restructuring Chapter 11.

Was to be expected … sad that such a company has been managed so badly :frowning:

Well, they accumulated quite some bad karma while feeding on smaller companies …

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/News/en-us/Gibson-Brands-Leadership-Press-Release-2018.aspx

They made a “brand” expert the CEO – with the rest of the team outside management experts. [What we called “hired guns” when i was working corporate.]

Video with the now new CEO about building brand when he was working with Levi’s Jeans. At least he is a guitar player.

1 Like

Exactly what Gibson or Mr. Juszkiewicz did very wrong over the past years … they didn’t respect nor listen to their loyal fans. When Juszkiewicz had his rant about “customers” not buying in “his great ideas of guitar improvements”, my first thought was … what an #&%!$ and the second that this was the one and only person who should never have been the leader of such a company.

1 Like

To be clear, Gibson’s guitar division has never been the issue. It has remained extremely profitable. It’s all the other companies they’ve acquired that have caused their financial troubles

Sounds like the surf company Billabong here in Australia
Greed is the root of all evil

3 Likes

Perhaps now Gibson has had a change of heart, having gone through their own bankruptcy, and a change of leadership. They just gave the Oberheim Trademark (gratis apparently) back to Tom Oberheim.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t count on that. Just look at their aggressive copyright infringement hunts lately. I wouldn’t call that a change of heart.

This Oberheim deal looks more like a public relations stunt to me. One sunny day doesn’t make a summer, you know?

3 Likes

That may be true, but I can imagine that at least it makes Tom Oberheim happy to get something back, which he had lost for so many years.

2 Likes

You’re right tnussb.

This one hits close to home for me too – i live in Kalamazoo. There are some smaller luthiers in town here as well.

1 Like

The two take away words from that article are Hedge and Fund.