Gibson killed Cakewalk

Gibson originated in and grew up in Kalamazoo, until the factory got closed – similar to what you described in England Open_Mike. The website link left by glaciertree describes it pretty well. There are still some very talented luthiers here still – and Heritage Guitars makes some good stuff.

Aside: It’s fun to walk in the neighborhood by houses and on streets where people like Lloyd Loar once were.

Ahh yes, I checked that link and googled around a bit. I didn’t know that Gibson was from Kalamazoo, don’t know how I missed that being an electric guitar player from Michigan!
Used to play an occasional gig at Bell’s Brewery probably 15 years ago, was always a good time.
Don’t know how their beers are nowadays, when they were small and starting out they were the best around! :beer:

1 Like

Funny what ways a company can take. Gibson…total sale out…Moog on the other hand…sold to the people who work there…well at least 49% of the company. Interesting where our swedish boutique manufacturers, Clavia, Elektron and TE will go. Until then…i am gonna support E. again and buy an A4…a fourth time…

2 Likes

Lol…Bitwig offers a 100$ price drop for new Users, until 18th Jan…coincidence?

well, in the future we will see more like this … killing brands, bundling resources (:arrow_right: TC Electronic, Lexicon, Klark Teknik, Midas etc.), business-optimization, blabla…

i think this is the normal way … some sort of market-concentration … but in between there is the boutique-market and the newcomers with very good and new innovative ideas… just like Google in the early days - simplification

but, just think about the resurrection of Sequential (DSI) … how many years? nearly 30?

1 Like

The entire case is mysterious.

If a business fails, closing the shop makes sense. Did this be the case for Cakewalk? Why celebrating 30 years, starting a new service, and boom? Have there been news about Cakewalk to be a bad performer?

If a business owner changes focus, why not sell the business, which he no longer wants to do and make money from selling?

1 Like

Reading the news about the case seems to hint at top management issues having cumulated over the years … now there might be a show down soon …

Closing down Cakewalk was possibly only a move to pretend something. Sad for all the employees, which suffer most, when management fails.

The Cakewalk Phoenix

So Gibson has now sold Cakewalk to Bandlab.

It will be interesting to see what Bandlab does with this. Hopefully at least some of the Cakewalk employees can find work with this new venture.

1 Like

Maybe they just gutted it for code and algorithms for their other products?

At least Apple put Camel Audio stuff in logic x after they bought them.

Actually it’s funny because if you buy Mainstage from Apple I believe you get Alchemy and mainstage only costs $30 last I checked.

1 Like

whatwhatwhaaaaat!!

You get Alchemy when you buy mainstage? Does it come with AU/VST version?

EDIT: Ok, apparently no AU/VST, but rewire support and audio export is onboard. I’ll take it, thanks for the tip!

Alchemy on mac for the price of an iPad app, awesome :ecstatic:

You also get the Apple branded version of the excellent AutoSampler program, in my opinion the very best application out there for multisampling hardware.

4 Likes

That sounds like it could be handy for making MPC keygroup programs from my wavestation patches. Superb value indeed!

I used to do sample sets every month for Computer Music magazine’s DS-404 and CMPlay sample-player plugins and AutoSampler was essential to getting those done on time. Couldn’t have managed without it.

5 Likes

Yeah I bought mainstage for Autosampler a long time ago and recently noticed I had Alchemy for free with an update lol

Oh yeah Gibson something something something on topic I swear

I used to read your articles all the time… remember KarmaFX? Of course you do :wink:

1 Like

I still use KarmaFX Synth a lot! I often use its additive oscillator as a sort of waveform analysis tool to figure out how to set up harmonics in both the PPG Waveterm and in the Kawai K5000.

1 Like

Trace Elliot was literally 10 min drive from my house,
They had an insane factory sale in the last couple of days of trading (and after)
Every bass player I know around here has or has had one over the years as they got them so damn cheap
They are such good amps it was such a shame for them to stop making them.
The sign is still on the outside of the building, I’m pretty sure they now make Orange cabinets and enclosures in the factory now.
Screw you, Gibson

2 Likes

Cool, I’ve got their last design from the shop, the bonneville guitar amp…
Wonderful amp, absolutely love it and it’s a permanent keeper for me…

This is higly off topic but I just installed mainstage 3 and this thing is deeeeeeep. Most of the logic plugs I remember it having? Check. Unlimited MIDI LFO’s? Check. MIDI scripting for generating MIDI data in real time? Check. This is the mst slept on 30€ piece of audio software I’ve ran across in a very long time…!

I honestly don’t think you can find a better deal by far, it’s not too popular either, a well kept not so secret secret. 'Twas my looping hub pre-OT… Been thinking about it again recently, it’s quite powerful…

1 Like