Get a Behringer Deep Mind 12? Or something else?

2 Likes

Although the topic is a bit old I second the Sub-37 idea. It’s a beast, I love the sounds I get out of this machine. I’m walking in the opposite direction as my next purchase will be a Prophet REV2. I think this is the best couple of synth nowadays, and from what I’ve seen in the last (jazz) concerts I’ve gone to, apart from the usual Nords, they are omnipresent.

Best sound I got out of a Sub-37:

The bass is earth shaking and the paraphony gives a bit of room to do nice bass chords.

1 Like

I have both a Virus TI2 and a DeepMind 12. I wouldn’t say there’s much overlap in the sound. I love them both. The Virus sounds like, well, a Virus. Very complex and and thick, but sometimes it’s a bit overkill.

The DeepMind 12 sounds more like a classic poly. It was meant to be a modern version of a Juno 106, after all. I love the sound. At the price DeepMind 12’s are going for, it’s almost madness not to buy it! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t have a decent full sized keyboard, so I’m seriously considering the Deep Mind 12 down the road. Seems it would make a solid controller as well, with all the sliders. The price is a great “bang for buck” value.

It also has a pedal input if you play piano, can also hold out midi data.

Hey guys,

What do you think about selling the DM12 to buy a Access Virus (B/C?) (also considering all my synths would be digital then)? i currently own:

Deepmind 12D
MnM MKII
MD MKII UW+
SP404sx
ZOOM B3 MultiFX-Pedal

Thought about selling the SP404sx as well, to be able to afford an Octatrack.

Do you have (other) suggestions for resetting my studio?

Thank you so much!

I love the Deepmind 12. It’s basically a super Juno. (The stock patches are horrible.)

I use it on my tracks as much as my prophet 6. It’s the one synth Behringer did phenomenally well.

1 Like

@nilsec Are you refering to my question? :slight_smile: So you would not sell the Deepmind to buy another synth, like a Access Virus?

Thank you!!

P.S.: Hating the the stock patches too…

I like that rolandish sound the Deepmind does. I personally think the virus ti2 is over priced. I dunno. I don’t know how you work.

Was thinking about a Virus B/C… the Ti2 is to expensive for me…

i kinda like the sound of the deepmind too, but i have the feeling, that i might get much more variety with a virus, because sometimes i have the feeling, that the deepmind often sounds similar… might be my lack of skills tho…

i don’t a specific workflow, but for example i like to sequence the DM12 with the machinedrum to make pads or chords, do some drums and samples with the MD also and make some leads or FM-stuff with the MnM

After many months pondering the purchase, I decided to get a DM-12D. Also got a Novation MiniNova but that is another story…
The Deepmind is very… DEEP :slight_smile:
Very accessible but full of tricks: sequencer makes me think of the Korg WaveState. ARP is huge. Modulation matrix has more than 130 destinations. 3rd envelope (mod env) can be used as a loop and therefore you get that third LFO…
Very nice synth for this price as a second hand.
Strongly recommended.

1 Like

I’ve advocated on this forum for the Deepmind several times and after two years with it I still love it.
However, I recently acquired a Novation Summit and it pretty much blows the DP out of the water. Again, love the DP for that classic analog/Juno vibe (fuzzy leads, big saw pads, vintage poly sounds) and the price was great but OMG this Summit is amazing!
They just released a user wavetable function to boot. It’s twice the price of the DP but easily twice the synth (literally as it’s bi Timberal).

4x the price tho :confused:

Sorry I was comparing the DPkeys which cost me $850 when I got it and the Summit wich cost me $1865 (15% off at musicians friend)
I’ve never had trouble getting 15% off anything from at least one of the major retailers. Just gotta call

1 Like

Pro tip :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have heard the deepmind in person while a friend had it at home to try. We played around on it and both found the sound to be “flat”. I found it uninteresting. But this is a thing of taste.

I own a sub phatty and can tell you these synths have something about them. Sub phatty or sub37 do things that just please the ear. They do need to get mixed, as the bottom end is completely overwhelming. But the phatty brings a smile to my face every time I use it. It’s also really good to program.

I’ve got a slim phatty and a Minataur, the Moog sound is truly in a land of its own. I have very little interest in the Mother, medium interest in the DFAM and a lot of interest in the Subharm. Now that I’ve seen them all together in a rack, I want the whole trio for mad sound experiments.

I tried a Deepmind and came away feeling it wasn’t right for me, despite loving the Juno and classic Roland sounds generally. It might just have been the first impressions of the interface, I don’t know. I know it can sound really good.

Anyway, I ended up spending a little more on a Peak instead, which has been one of the best synth purchases I’ve ever made - no regrets there.

Where have you been the last couple of years? You just now noticed Behringer gets lots of hate?

There are various reasons for the good old Behringer hate, but that doesn’t change the fact that their synths sound awesome and are great deals. Deepmind-12 is still my favorite of the bunch.

That said, if you already have analog poly, maybe a mono synth would complement it better.