Get a Behringer Deep Mind 12? Or something else?

You should also consider this one … much character and many options: MFB Dominion 1

3 Likes

+1, I regret selling mine, awesome Synth :slight_smile:

Well, you guys have definitely convinced me to at least go to the music store and try the Sub37 before making any decision. So maybe I’ll fall in love with it… :slight_smile:

Well, no patch memory, so that won’t work. I’m picky, I know… :slight_smile:

1 Like

No chance not to fall in love with this synth. The sound is great and the interface is great too.

One tip. The Sub37 has two different modes for ADSR behaviour. Unfortunately the “linear” mode is default on my synth and I wondered, why couldn’t I get that punchy Moog sound I was after. Well, it took me to read the manual and find the second mode, which is “exponential”. It makes a big difference.

1 Like

Right. Same vein as the Sub37?

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind when I try it.

The Dominion 1 tries not to be a Moog-Clone, but is an excellent instrument. It comes with three VCOs, a multimode filter with a ton of options, has many modulation capabilites, also some digital tricks under the hood, and the only sad thing is, it’s quite rare to find in the wild.

1 Like

Moog slim phattys go used for a good price. I was going to sell my little phatty ( to save space ) and someone in forum talked some sense into me. I realise I just wanted new shit. The LP is monophonic but can fo poly as a master keyboard so I’m looking for a compact polysynth to use with it. That would be a sweet pair.

Volcas are fun and dead cheap also.

1 Like

The Dominion 1 sounds awesome. Quite a different flavour to the Sub37, definitely has its own place. Case in point: Nick Batt (from that SonicState review) uses both the Sub37 and the Dominion in his live setup.

You can probably see how easy it can get to amass a lot of monosynths!

2 Likes

:smile: you gotta do what’s right for you

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know Nick Batt actually made music. I thought he was just one of those guys who like ogling synth specs but never actually makes music. :slight_smile:

Sounds amazing!

I’m also considering a Deepmind 6. I like the sound in some demos very much, and all the reviews state that the build quality is fine and the ventilators not a big issue.
I think lot of the negative comments are just against behringer in general.
Feature wise it’s also very nice, many modulation options and the effects sound quite good according to the demos. And there are many fx.
The price is a steal.
What holds me back is the fact that I own an A4, and I can get most sounds I want out of it. Basses as well. But I use it more in a way, where I make whole sketches on the A4 on it’s own where I use it’s sequencer and parameter locks and not like I would treat a poly synth keyboard. And it sometimes takes some time to get the desired sounds, I often wish I had a all sweetspot synth with keyboard and more of a knob/funciton interface. The sounds I’m looking for I can most easily create on U-he diva, everything sounds great on it and takes me no time. So that’s another reason why I’m looking at the deepmind, cause it seems very Roland influenced.
Question is just, does it differ enough from the A4 sound and experience to justify another poly hardware synth?
How do basses sound on the deepmind, does anyone have an experience here.
Minilogue might also be an option in this price range

FX have to be considered too.
You’d be surprised how a simple synth is transformed into a top-end FX device.
My favorite ones are Eventide Space (but you might want a H9 with Blackhole algo) and Elektron Analog Heat (for either warmth or dirt).

And if you want a total different palette of sound, Digitone should be considered… I love mine !!

1 Like

I’m now seeing Deep Mind 12s for $500 - $600 online. This seems really affordable for a 12 voice, analog synth with plenty of fx and modulation. Furthermore, it’s a built like a tank unit with keys! I may have to get one. It seems it may have some overlap in sound compared to my Virus C. Anybody know how it might compare to my Virus?

Virus will probably sound more analog

1 Like

Funny how VA synths can sound more analog than an actual analog synth. My Reface CS gets into that territory at times. Deep Mind is digital oscillators and analog filter so maybe that’s why. I’ve heard the Minilogue doesn’t sound very analog either.

Depends on what you’re looking for, but I wouldn’t do the D12 as I find it overall kinda generic or uninteresting. If you want acid or rave sounds, see if you can find a JP-8080. If you’re looking for more analog sounds, check out what Dreadbox has to offer for you (like the Erebus, which can sound really big in its own way).

Also, if you don’t plan on the next synth to be live friendly to twiddle knobs every second, the Roland boutique synths aren’t bad at all, especially the SE02. There is also an editor out there now for the D-05 where it makes editing parameters much easier than the physical interface (and the D-05 can make some wild shit).

Deepmind actually has analog oscillators (DCO) as well as analog filter and sounds very analog/vintage when needed in my opinion. It has good settings for oscillator and parameter drift too if that’s needed. It sounds like Juno and beyond.

Also psyclone001 is a Behringer hater (I believe Uli stole his girlfriend or something) so he’s never going to say anything positive about a Behringer synth. That is actually the only real issue with DM for many people - if a synth like Deepmind was released by some other brand, it would surely have more positive reviews.

4 Likes

Oh hate is such a strong word. I don’t like using it.
I much prefer despise :joy: