Gestion d'un set up de 52 Midi channels / tracks

I’ve been making music for 25 years, it’s my job. as a DJ in France, England, Spain. Your thinking is not very pleasant. Only, I discovered the Elektron brand and the large number of midi channel / tracks per instrument. A keytep for example has 16 parts. So you take a DT and an octatrack and that makes 16 tracks you no longer have a slot to sequence. Are we in agreement ? Study 2 min the squarp pyrmid sequencer and its 4 banks of 16 tracks, and you have 64 tracks.

a digitone on a miter keyboard, you need 4 tracks for the 4 synths, like the A4. This is my question.

I dont mean any offence. Be careful not to get lost in translation.

Your question simply doesnt make sence.

The midi protocol is limited to 16 channels.

Study ‘Auto Channel’ and ‘active track’ for devices that have more than 1 part/track. There in lies your answer.

Example: I send midi notes to my digitone using auto channel 11. I select an active track using buttons on the digitone. So I can sequence all 4 voices.
This only requires one midi channel.

I use the same auto channel to send midi through my octatrack to synths and drum machines. Again, selecting active track on the Octatrack makes the connection between midi keyboard/controller and synths.

Auto Channel, active track.

4 Likes

It’s very very clear. So you use thé contrôler / keyboard for thé note, the arpège ( i don’t no in english), scalpe, but you wormienne on the machine for thé organisation âne thé placement or thé séquence. That’s it ?

You work on thé machine

Yes, typicall, you use the controller to put in the notes into Octatrack, Digitakt etc. (Autochannel works well) and then continue to work in the Octatrack, Digitakt etc.

One machine is always limited to 16 midi channels on one port anyway.

2 Likes

Ok, but on thé pyramid square séquencer, you have 64 part, so all your project without touch something. But it’s clear. Trank you, it was m’y frits ticket here âne my english ils so bad.

For thé octatrack, it’s very important âne i understand the Logic of loop ….

Octatrack has 16 banks in a project. Each bank has 4 parts (parts can have different samples, different midi channels, in general different settings). 16 patterns (note data, sample triggers, automation etc.) in a bank. Each pattern has 8 sample tracks and 8 midi tracks, 64 steps (longer patterns can be programmed by using tempo multipliers and/or trig conditions).

So 256 patterns per project, basically as many projects as you want. Switching project takes a second or two, though.

If you are looking mainly for a midi sequencer maybe check out the Sequentix Cirklon?
Octatrack can be sequencer, sampler, mixer, effects processor, controller and any combination of those.

Btw heres a comparison of OT and Pyramid:

This thread might also help you:

Dear David D: There are a number of French speakers active here but all forum posts should be in English except for the thread 👥 [FR] Le Bistrot Francophone Intersidéral which I think is not specifically about music. If you post there, you may find some French speakers willing to help you privately, who might not see your question otherwise. I have the feeling this will be quicker than for monolingual English speakers to help you here.

4 Likes

Many of your instruments have their own internal sequencers. You can synchronize those sequencers so that they all play in time with the others. This does not require you to use any MIDI channels.

The Octatrack and Digitakt each have 8 MIDI tracks for sequencing other instruments. With just these two Elektron instruments, you can sequence your other instruments that do not have internal sequencers.

The Pyramid is unnecessary for you. Even though it has 64 tracks, it only has 2 MIDI outputs so it would only give you 32 MIDI channels. And you do not need it, because you can use Elektron gear, as I previously described.

I recommend that you do not buy any more equipment until you have learned to use your existing instruments.

I suggest that you begin by choosing just two instruments and learning to connect those using MIDI. Later, you can expand your setup to three, four, then more instruments.

7 Likes

It will also help making yourself understood if you disable autocorrect on the device that you re posting with here.

1 Like

I love you. I make music I love you. I have been making music for 20 years. I do midi maping for controller. I do live in rooms of nearly 10 people. But I had never used Elektron before, that’s all I played on Moog, Korg, Erica, Dave Smith, Pulsar, Dreadbox, novtion, Arturia, Nord, … It’s iediot like reflection.v

2 Likes

Get a room you 2 :kissing_heart:

Prenez une chambre!

Il parait que le francais est interdit ici :wink:

Dommage

1 Like

Or better yet, a room for nearly 10 people :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Or 52 people.

1 Like

@derlich I’m not sure what you’re looking after then, and from your answers it doesn’t seem like you know it either.

@PeterHanes suggestions were on point regarding your initial question, but you seem to be on the defensive here. Whatever your music experience may be, it’s always unwise to buy gear first and think about how to use it after, hence the answers you get. Even with a studio full of gear, it never hurts to take 2-3 machines alone and get them work together to better understand how to use them and how they can work with each other, nothing’s idiotic about that suggestion.

You’re asking for help here and instead of bragging about all the gear you’ve used, you could maybe try to better explain what you’re trying to do, you would get better answers then.

PS: I’m french too and willful to help, if you want.

4 Likes

I will answers nothing. It’s ok. Make pleasure with music Line me, but with vynils or machines, not here.

I think that I did not read your question closely enough when I first replied. I now realize that you were asking how you could connect a keyboard such as the KeyStep to control any track across your many MIDI instruments.

Elektron instruments do provide a way to do this. Their instruments have an “AutoChannel” feature: if you set the external keyboard to send MIDI Note messages on the AutoChannel of the Elektron instrument, then the instrument will route the Note messages to whichever track is currently selected on the instrument. If the selected track is configured to send MIDI messages, then the external keyboard can be used to control any instrument that is connected by MIDI further in the chain of MIDI devices.

3 Likes