Gear you wish was on different platforms

I’d love to see some of the best plugin reverbs and delays, like those from Valhalla and Audio Damage, etc, available as stereo hardware with lots of knobs to tweak in real time :control_knobs:

7 Likes

Sorry, but I have to say this:

SERUM and OMNISPHERE hardware

: )

Agree, it feels quite strange that Valhalla still haven’t done at least pedal a la Strymon style.
At the same time Strymon Big Sky / Night Sky is quite like hardware Valhalla - sometimes I think they even use the same algorithms (funny how Night Sky and Supermassive, both with “time warp” functionality, showed up almost at the same time ).

1 Like

hardware as software invariably leaves me cold… I guess because the sound is only one part of the experience of an instrument.

thats not to say, I dont love software … I do…so, I’m with others, I’d love to see lots of software as hardware … pedals, eurorack modules, standalone…
vahalla reverbs (they did do the cartridges for the tiptop fx)
madrona labs aalto … something like the microfreak?

1 Like

By these kind of questions I always wonder: What if the software on the MPC Live / X / One would have been developed as a collaboration between Akai, Elektron and Ableton…

3 Likes

I wish the morphagene was a stand-alone semi-modular field recorder

2 Likes

Drambo

2 Likes

Drambo is great, but I really like the GUI of the Elektron stuff. Literally just give me the Overbridge GUI on my iPad with the appropriate sound engines. I find Drambo to be a bit to time consuming sometimes, and due to its layout, it kind of sucks to play live.

I dream of Noise Engineering digital VCO’s in the form of AUv3 so I can Drambo the hell out of it :star_struck:

Can’t say how I whish that as well.

Dreaming about standalone granular station with effects, memory, semi modularity, instant audio recording / importing for years… I even tried to contact few instrument designer with my “idea”… Since no solution. Using my Nagra, Ableton and Granulator II for that…

Here’s some thoughts:

…I’ve spent last days painting, filming and then projecting things on walls and canvases, dreaming at the same time of something like Sound Camera Obscura - a super compact self powered device, equipped with a stereo mic, “good enough” speaker, about the size of a drummachine.

Capable of recording hours of sound, having them in let’s say 4 banks / tracks, each with a speed control, granular looping options per channel. Intuitive basic knobs, buttons and selectors interface (no menus). Ready for real time manipulations.

Another thing is capturing, processing and playing it back in real time, thru build in speaker. With an option to control feedback like “no input mixer”.

would be nice to add “basic” effects like delay / grain verb / ring mod / filter / EQ / compressor per channel.

even better to include mic input and a contact mic accessoire options like piezo mic, hydrophone and electromagnetic field device addons.

It all makes sense only “all in one” well designed solution, super portable, easy to use, old school industrial machinery style.

And… in case if there’s nothing like that and nobody is going to build one, is there a way without knowing anything about programming or circuit design to build one yourself? Find programmers? Make a proto? Arduino / Teensy?

Or even better build one myself on a basis of ipad and external mics (make a custom case with some analog processing, power bank )? Not as elegant as standalone magic box, but should work.

Roland MX-1 style mixer in an Elektron box, and featuring the Elektron sequencer.

1 Like

ableton simpler in (easy to use) hardware

1 Like

As a big fan / owner of all those; what platform would you want them / what would you want different?

whatever modern hardware platform.
because those components on which late 90s/early 2000s gear was made are mostly discontinued and not used anymore.

what i would want different — modern storage (SD card based), modern effect section (it’s obviously weak by todays standards, at least in P2500 machines), modern USB connectivity (and USB host for external keyboards or controllers), reduced size/weight and rather flat than angled form factor for desktop units (because bringing Command Station to gigs is no fun. full metal case is cool, but i’m so much happier with plastic MC-707, because it’s 3 times lighter).

1 Like

I’d agree with all those.

1 Like

Korg Logue series can all run these oscillators, my PL16 is awesome with them all

1 Like

ASM Hydra is pretty much a Serum in HW, just needs to be able to load its own WT’s

1 Like

get a 1010music Blackbox

1 Like

Dave Smith Tetra in a Digitone form. It’s a great sounding analogue module hampered by a limited interface and menus. To be able to easily sequence the four parts would be great.

2 Likes

That was why I chose an Analog 4 over the Tetra at the time they both came out, though obviously they have their own particular sound.

2 Likes