Gear you wish was on different platforms

Been thinking about how I wish the DN/DT/OT combo were an iPad/tablet app. I also always loved the idea of the Virus as a straight VST (I know there was a TDM version or something). I figure that with digital gear, they could be recreated for other hardware. Obviously, that could mess about with hardware sales, but Korg seems to be doing an alright job with it. What gear would you like to see ported to another device?

2 Likes

I wish Sonic Charge Microtonic would be in Machinedrum Format…

11 Likes

I was just browsing some synths online and saw Braids by Mutable. I really wish that was a full hardware synth. I would love to get that, but can’t really justify building a whole euro rack around it. Maybe I should though?

try it on VCV rack first - amazing that it’s all there for free!
EDIT:
and since it’s all digital anyway - it sounds pretty much exactly the same other than some very very minute differences with the AD conversions

3 Likes

check out the “shruthi” and “ambika” synths

5 Likes

Oh damn these look like just what I’m looking for

I treat braids like an extra oscillator on my Pro3 and love it like that. Such a great module. I especially love how nasty and digital it can be.

there are some serious restrictions.
digital gear can be recreated for other hardware with reasonable effort, if:

1. it’s originally written in high level language (e.g. C/C++)
  2. it is not tied up too much with certain platform-specific features.

if one tries to recreate something written in assembly for M68k DSP to work on modern ARM — required effort would already be unreasonable, despite the fact that both platforms are digital. and i even did not mention performance issues yet.

Sonic Charge Permut8 in hardware format

3 Likes

vcv rack is brilliant. It completey killed any desire for me to get into the hardware thus saving me a ton of money and endless days or months of fucking around buying and trying and having to swap or sell gear to end up with a modular rack I’d be content with.
It’s very clear to me now though how people do get sucked into the modular rabbit hole. Whereas I used to be a little envious I now feel relieved!
The Mutable Instruments ports are something I wanted in hardware… there are even a couple of modules ported in PD that run on my Organelle.
I prefer hardware if I’m honest but I enjoy coding and patching things and sometimes I wonder what the point of having digital hardware synths is even though I own plenty.
However, I can’t stand using iPad synth / midi module sequencer sampler apps… I have a huge collection and never use them.

3 Likes

intellijel metropolis as standalone desktop unit with midi

4 Likes

Mariokart on Xbox :call_me_hand:

10 Likes

my (obviously necrophilic) wishlist:

1. Nord Modular
  2. Yamahha FS1r (what modern Yamaha workstations have is seriously cut-down version)
  3. Novation Supernova
  4. E-Mu P2500 series of ROMples and Ultra series of samplers.
1 Like

I’d love the way xln xo handles sample management to be implemented in hardware samplers. If the sampler were able to read a network folder it would be heaven imo

1 Like

The entry level to eurorack is quite affordable nowadays: a 4ms Pod (preferably an X version for extra depth) and Braids/Plaits plus some LFO or envelope for extra modulation gets you there for not so much cash.

1 Like

I wish everything I own that has either digital internals or a digital effects phase right before output spoke Dante and midi over ethernet. Ideally with power over ethernet too. Replacing 2-7 cables per synth with one would be magic.

I wish most of the music apps I bought on ipad were on standalone hardware with physical controls rather than touchscreens.

3 Likes

guitar pedals should be in eurorack or 500 series format.

1 Like

Not really gear, but ableton on iPad OS…

2 Likes

Nord modular G2 with the editor integrated with a touch screen