Gear audit- What have you bought in the last 12 months that you are certain you’ll still have in 10 years time?

my digitakt will never leave me. it’s the first gear I’ve enjoyed finding workarounds for.
won’t be parting with my sirin either. my first moog. such a rich sound and super compact.

a few effect pedals (some I’ve already had 10+ years): haymaker, eau claire thunder, meteore, gravitas, particle

2 Likes

Tend not to hang on to gear for more than a few years, so prolly nothing.

1 Like

I said “lifer synth” about the Rev2, and then turned right around and traded it for a Pro2, so…

Pro2?

And:

Lyra 4
DFAM
M.I. Beads
RML JnH

Besides those, core setup is still the SP-16, A4 and DN. Everything else is in flux.

• Digitone (might be a bit older than 12 months though)
  • SubH
  • Rev2

With this 3, I have almost everything I need.
Digitone offering delay/reverb/chorus for the SubH and MIDI control. It can also be used as a drum machine.
I can play the DN as a “simple” 8 voice synth with the Rev2 keyboard too (kinda change the way you interact with the DN)

Bought it 6-7 years ago but my A4 won’t go as I can use it stand alone but also add some CVs to the SubH.

3 Likes

I guess I didn’t technically say 2021 was going to be a year of no new gear and some of this stuff is from late 2020… Also didn’t list some pieces that have gone already.

Subharmonicon
Matriarch
Perfourmer
Prophet 12 desktop
Heat mk1
Oto Bam, Bim and Boum

I think I’m past the honeymoon period with all of these (Heat is the newest purchase but I already had one before), so whether I’m keeping them or not will honestly depend on the level of GAS for other things.

Matriarch is a beast and I’ve already used it a ton. I’ve also written a dozen tracks with the SubH. The Oto trio is wonderful. The same goes for P4mer and P12 but I haven’t used them as much yet. Both also sound really nice with the Machinedrum which has become the center (and often only) piece in many of my tracks.

I think P12 and Perfourmer won’t be here forever, maybe not the Otos (Bim especially) either as I often use very simple/subtle reverbs, delays and saturation. And I’m a bit fickle with gear anyway so they might all be gone within a year. :upside_down_face:

Note to self: Revisit this thread in ten years? Five? Ok, two.

3 Likes

I don’t sell my instruments, offspring can have em all when I go.

Computers, Utilities, interfaces, samplers, software, monitors … can be sold/traded any day of the week.

judging by used gear price trends, i’m going to have everything i bought, until it reaches „vintage“ status. (unless it dies for whatever reason)
but even if not yet — it’s going to cost more than when it was brand new (just look at used DSI Tetras for instance).

PS. also, modular is the new normal, so those old fashioned machines without lots of CV are going to become «vintage» even sooner.

1 Like

Analog heat MK2.never thought i would connect with a drive/distortion hardware box this way.

4 Likes

Two pieces of gear I had sold in the past, so both are re-purchases and I’m sure I’ll not make the mistake to sell it a second time:

DT: it’s the best groovebox-sampler-drum machine-drone-synth on the market. A gem I’ll never sell again. Elektron’s masterpiece IMO.

TD-3: it sounds good, it is cool, is damn cheap, is pure fun, is acid. Why to sell it?

3 Likes

No words needed

7 Likes

Nothing is safe here…
Besides my OT but I have it for 7 years now.

The best purchase I made in the last 12 months (and in the last few years) was a maschine mk3 controller. I‘d like to say it will stay forever, but as always with controllers, there will be a better successor

5 Likes

I really don’t see myself parting with my DPO anytime ever.

2 Likes

Torso Electronics T1
Proco Rat
Roland SH1
Yamaha VSS 30

2 Likes

The Sweet Sixteen Mk 2 is proving itself (and by extemsion the 16n) to be about the most versatile controller a modular or any other synth - or computer - could need right now. Even if all the other modules went, the SS Mk2 could easily run standalone in a pod or similar and be useful forever. Just like the micro Ornament and Crime, really, which is one of those modules that is so good another one is probably needed soon.

Not that I’ve sold anything since a Proco Rat about 15 years ago anyway.

2 Likes

black rytm mk2, but then again an mk3 may come out…

I’m fairly positive I’ll still have my Rytm Mk1 amongst my other Elektrons. Even if there was an mk3 coming, I’d still keep it.
I simply like the mk1 Elektrons, to me they’re kinda special.

Probaply I’ll still have my Doc A as well.

@Stazma is that a Studer mixer?

4 Likes

Yes it is ! I’m confident i’ll keep this one my whole life hahaha

3 Likes

this!
the first time I saw an A4mk1 in a shop, it was so alien to me and yet so attracting…
mk2 form factor and design really don’t bring back this memory but I guess it just means one thing… I’m old.

3 Likes

I totally agree about mk1 being sexier and more iconic, I still miss mine, but function > form so in my book mk2 wins and if an mk3 comes out with better functionality then I’ll get that instead, I don’t care if it’s fugly

2 Likes

Moog Sub37