Gaming [spin-off topic]

Advance Wars was brillient!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s funny, the only game I kind of enjoyed from your list was RDR2, and even that was a pain in the ass to play because of the awful controls. I think modern games have made a lot of progress in the graphics department but often to the expense of playability and storytelling. Thatā€™s why I still play loads of GBA, SNES and indie games despite having a PS4 and a nice TV.

The analogy is quite a good one actually. I think the M:Sā€™s focus on playability, speed and fun will be appealing even to people who have tasted the modern 4k experience (Rytm, OT, DAWs), and will be used to create stuff thatā€™s surprisingly complex despite the limitations.

1 Like

God of War won GOTY for a reason, and not because Iā€™ve beaten it 3 times.

Storytelling? Woo boy. God of War lacking in story telling? Iā€™m struggling not to drop mad spoilers due to my disagreement with this statement but I shall restrain myself. Same with Persona 5, arguably one of the best games created in the pastā€¦ ever, and RDR2 lacking in cinematic storytelling? Spider-Man goes straight back to PS2 days if you want to argue nostalgia.

But I donā€™t have much more to say (besides Iā€™d take a Switch (OP-1) any day over a GameBoy (M:S) but yes of course there is a market for the Volca Samples, M:S, and OP-Zs of the world. The secondary part of my analogy is that itā€™s a sampler, thus it provides nothing unique in terms of sound without some mangling. If I want to use that mangled sound instead of sampling what it itself has sampled, Iā€™ll sample the M:S with my lovely inputs (emulation).

For any further comment re-see: my Dwight Schrute quote.

2 Likes

GOW had a fine story but the gameplay loop was boring as hell for me. Just waves of the same re-skinned enemies punctuated by the same sort of dull puzzles weā€™ve seen since the PS1 era.

RDR2, a great exercise in world-building, immersion and non-traditional storytelling. Let down by piss-poor controls that I was still struggling with even after completing the game.

Persona 5 I admittedly havenā€™t made much progress on. For now itā€™s just a series of very monotonous time-management tasks with not much reward. A few friends have loved it though so Iā€™ll persevere.

Re the M:S being just a sampler, you could say that about any sampler. The magic is in the sequencer and interface.

Not a fan of the US office either so I guess we just have different tastes.

I took my time with Obra Dinn and finished it in around 10 hours. Donā€™t look up hints if you get stuck!

3 Likes

Good olā€˜ days :sunglasses: and those mini games were so addictive

6 Likes

Shenmui 2 fab memories. Also Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi

1 Like

CELESTE OVER ALL THAT NONSENSE DONT AT ME (a complete sentence)

1 Like

Dang! I feel like a dreamcast copy of shenmue 2 is a rarityā€¦ at least in the states I am not sure if it came out at all. Cherish those disks. That said I am probably lazy enough that I will just play these on steam now that they are playable thereā€¦ hopefully shenmue 3 will keep the magic alive.

2 Likes

Word.

2 Likes

Yeah I feel like sadly the PS4 has slowly made me play games less and lessā€¦ actually maybe that is a good thing, more time for music and creative things! I will say the the new Tekken is pretty brilliant in my book, along with Ni No Kuni 2 and I think the whole Dark Souls and Blood Bourne series is just great. Obviously there is a boat load of brilliant indie games, which I now just play on PC for the most part. I have my backlite modded GB orignal and it gets played very oftenā€¦ a huge plethora of interesting games for it.

a couple of fan translated gb games to try are:

for the frog the bell tolls
forfrog

and last bible
lastbible1

personal weird favorite is:
Sword of Hope is great and hilarious first person maze RPG

last shot is from my gb :slight_smile:

3 Likes

first game that sucked ME in was Ultima

this looks GREAT

1 Like

GBA SP was one of the greatest systems ever, IMO. I love my 3DS, but will always carry a flame for the SP.

4 Likes

My switch arrived on Xmas eve morning, and I rushed straight out to buy Mario kart and odessy.

Havenā€™t touched oddesy yet, and Mario kart gets limited time!

Used to be a time when Iā€™d have spent all my free time engrossed in whatever game Iā€™m in the midst of.

Still need to finish rdr as well. Some pleb at work gave me a huge spoiler when he was moaning about the game and Iā€™ve not been bothered since.

I tell myself that one day Iā€™ll break a leg or something and will have nothing to do other than play gamesā€¦

3 Likes

Anyone else play FFXIVā€¦? Just meā€¦? :c

Looking for co-op Apex or Rocket League, Stick Fight or whatever.

Steam profile

https://steamcommunity.com/id/mightlife/

1 Like

Just picked up Nier Automata and itā€™s great fun! Loving it so far. Got that nice jrpg music too

1 Like

Did anyone play through Sekiro? That game was insanely goodā€¦

3 Likes

Ufffā€¦JRPG/ souls stuff - no thanks.
Give me a gravity/ portal gun BFG any day!
:wink:

2 Likes

Had to stay home with our puppy on saturday when my girlfriend went to a party so I bought the first Konami 50th anniversary collection which consists mainly of their classic sidescrolling shoot 'em ups. Havenā€™t had as much fun playing in a long time that I had with Gradius I - Nemesis, Salamander and Vulcan Venture and a couple of beers. Thereā€™s something in the Gradius-series that just gets me every time.

Thereā€™s a Contra-collection and a Castlevania-collection coming later in the series. Looking forward to them too. I really hope theyā€™ll release SD Snatcher in English for the anniversary. That would be perfect!

3 Likes