FYI Sugar-bytes Drumcomputer

Microtonic is a classic. Drum Computer is like a mk2 version of Microtonic - both great plugins and are at the top of my instruments list if I’m working in the box.

1 Like

I should add that Sugar Bytes support was very responsive.

Got the demo, really excited about this and would recommend basically everyone try it. Will probably buy it once I have some extra cash.

The synthesis can be a little cryptic at first and it kind of annoys me that from what I can tell the pitch and amp envelope on the resonator are basically bound together (unless you set up some modulation), but everything sounds fantastic and timbral palette is extremely impressive. I’ve been reamping it through my Heat and it really smacks.

Can’t wait to learn the synthesis more and delve deeper into the sequencer. Finally a VST that can match up to the Nord Drum.

2 Likes

I’m playing DrumComputer standalone with my Zendrum MIDI controller and a BomeBox for the MIDI interface. This setup works fine for other hardware and software with no latency that I can feel, for example with Arturia Collection and Omnisphere. My setup also works correctly to play DrumComputer with the external controller in every way, except there is a constant latency of about 120ms for every single note played. That’s too much for live playing, being about 1/16 note latency at tempo=120. After troubleshooting, I can’t find any reason for this latency. Does anyone have suggestions?

I’ve had a go with the demo; it’s sure got a wide palette and can sound very good, but IMO it can’t match the Nord Drum for depth of tone. In comparison the DC sounds two dimensional. It would be a great companion for ND if latency isn’t an issue.

2 Likes

After spending time with it, I agree: it does cool things, but it doesn’t sound as good as my Nord Drum 3P.

I don’t have latency with controllers that plug into my computer’s USB, but the controller I want to use requires a MIDI interface, and for some reason my Roland UM-ONE’s input just isn’t seen my my MacOS Catalina MacBook Pro 16. I can output MIDI via the UM-ONE, but input stuff just doesn’t register, and I have the updated UM-ONE driver. And BomeBox (MIDI over WiFi) with DrumComputer (and other software modules) just has too much latency I can’t get rid of. It’s worse with the standalone that the VST plug-in, but the plug-in also has too much latency. I used the UM-ONE on much older pre-Catalina computers, and never had latency problems, so I think there may be issues with Catalina and MIDI input unless the device plugs into the Mac’s USB to share MIDI.

Now that the DrumComputer is on sale (bought!), I was wondering what’s the easiest way to play individual drum voices chromatically? Sure, you can sorta p-lock the pitches and some other parameters in the sequencer which is something I’m obviously used to doing on the Elektrons but would be nice if there was another way to do it.

Also, what controllers are you fine people using to control the DrumComputer? (Logic user here, btw.)

2 Likes

I have the iOS version, and what I ended up doing was using the keyboard zones as those do alter the pitch of the voices. If you give a voice a 3 octave zone, then you get 3 octaves of pitch modulation. You have to be strategic about how you use each voice with this. It would have been nice if SugarBytes had added a multi-channel mode, or more so a way to use just once voice in DrumComputer standalone.

2 Likes

Where is it on sale?

1 Like
2 Likes

Am I missing something obvious, or is there no way to initialize a patch in DrumComputer?

Same question for me.

How can I initialize a preset?

There are init presets in the sugar bytes section of the preset browser…

1 Like