Fx pedal for the OT

Thanks @sezare56 for curtailing gas for the Eclipse.

This thread reminds that I need to get back into patching fx on my Nord G2.

1 Like

I understood from a video that you need to map the ccs for every patch. This indeed makes things a bit more simple!

I meant digital for the sound, like Zoom or Digitech. You know the sound of 80’s synths in The final countdown :wink:

I like the approach of CBA with digital controlling analog circuits.
But the price tag is… too trendy !

Indeed even if i’d really like to have Reverb AND Delay on same track of the OT!

1 Like

I really, really wouldn’t classify Empress’s algorithms as anything remotely similar to 80s/Zoom/Digitech. They are regarded just as highly as Strymon, Meris, Evertide, and the like.

But back in topic, I am having trouble working around what I’ve read in your responses.

1.) CBA is too expensive (one of the few ways to get analog + unique)
2.) Most delays/reverbs are too simple
3.) It has to be sonically unique while also being knob-per-function
4.) Can’t be too digital (Strymon/Empress/Eventide)

I really don’t know how we can help you here. For an effects product to not price themselves to bankruptcy, manufacturers have to choose two of the three: analog, unique, remotely affordable (affordable meaning like 400-500 dollars at this point :laughing:)

If you need all three, I’d say you’ll have to go custom euro rack.

1 Like

Well, unofficially you can have them both (with some caveats):

… officially, of course, not, because it requires too much for the processing power if you go wild with it (using it on multiple tracks).

1 Like

Problem is how to remember which knob does what… But indeed the midi implementation is extensive and works well. I have the PitchFactor and TimeFactor, currently contemplating a Space or the new BlackHole, and am really pleased with them.

1 Like

I find all of that stuff already pretty solid on the OT.
Another flavor of reverb is nice to have though, so I use the new Eventide Blackhole pedal.
It has MIDI input (over TRS 1/4" so you’ll need an adapter or two), CC# control, 127 presets, accepts MIDI program change, and is stereo in/out. The EQ controls inside make it quite versatile as well.

Since I need OT’s 4 inputs for other things, I don’t use it as an AUX send/return, but actually use it on master with a very low mix, and it glues tracks together nicely. And using it this way overshadows the smaller plate and spring reverbs I had sprinkled throughout other tracks, so it has opened up 2 to 4 FX slots per Part on my OT.

Still, it’s a great reverb and would work just as good via AUX/cue send/return routing.

Real happy Eventide has gone this route, and hopeful they release MangledVerb in the same format. I prefer the way the knobs feel on the blackhole to the Space, which was also overkill for what I needed and could afford.

6 Likes

If I didn’t have a Space pedal, this one would definitely be a contender

Dont know about their older delay pedals but I have the LEM and it its great as a delay / bitcrush / pitchshifter / all around weird soundscapes pedal.

Sure it is mono so that wouldnt be the best for the cue out of the OT, however I often use it on synths and sample the result.

Wouldnt put it against anything Meris, Strymon or Chase Bliss though…

I had a Space, Blackhole was my favorite algo.
I may prefer to buy a 2nd Space before finding 2nd hands Blackholes.

But I’m about to buy a 2nd hand Polara, cheap, seems really good for the price, and some algos seems better than Space (Room for example). Unfortunately no 100% wet setting.

I think my favorite algo is Hall.

3 Likes

I agree with you but for the 4). When i say digital i mean digital sounding, sounding too bad.
Empress reverb are neat yet digital.
Digitech sounds bad to my ears yet digital as well.

For the price tag, the Thermae is sold nearly 600€ where i live, that’s 50% more than 400…

Unofficially yes, i know the work around. It doesn’t work on all tracks and once it is copied, you can’t change the parameters.
I don’t remember but i’m not even sure it stays in memory after a reboot of the machine.

Mono is a drawback on the LEM but not as much as no sync.
I dan’t get the point of a pedal with delay without sync…

So you have stuff going into OT (drums and synths?) and use the Blackhole on the whole mix?

Is this from actual experience of using an empress or from YouTube videos?

1 Like

I tried and liked the empress reverbs.
I watched many vids on YT about Zoia but non of them convinced me for the sound, maybe the patches simply did not suit my taste.

Dammit. I was about to be convinced by the Hologram Microcosm. None available in Europe at the moment…

Seems really good indeed!
Reverb sounds good apparently…
OT can do that kind of stuff, but it would be clicky. :content:
How much in Europe?