Future machines

But the current model includes free machines. “Adding to it” as you say would actually be splitting/deviating from current model.
They tried something similar with paid overbridge… it didn’t last (not entirely sure why but I would imagine most users were not for it…I wasn’t).
Elektron has a business model that works pretty great so far. I sincerely hope they don’t change it. The syntakt is significantly more expensive than the other “takts”. Hopefully that is a baked-in fee to cover the costs of new machines/updates.
At least that’s what I hope.

1 Like

Agree on this… exactly my thoughts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Paid Overbridge makes more sense to me, from a consumer perspective. A lot of us don’t use computers for music (much). I only use Overbridge to put an Elektron badge on my menu bar.

However, I’m glad they worked out the numbers so that they can continue to develop it. It would have been much more disappointing if they’d made OB reliant on independent income and it hadn’t been financially stable enough to keep going.

:+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Nope on paid machines or whatever. I don’t like that route, because then the importance of the company shifts to them making things for money only (which is of course understandable to some degree), then free updates will barely happen or none will happen at all because all their time is on putting out stuff to be bought etc…

I want their heads in the game where it is right now.

2 Likes

Elektron updates their products FOR FREE. Why do you as a customer think it’s a good idea to make you pay for it? Do you have too much money? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In my opinion free updates, the current business model of elektron and building new awesome instruments can live side by side with payed bundles of machines for the syntakt. I’d rather pay 50 bucks for a bundle of machinedrum-machines than paying 1500 for an actual machinedrum :wink: Offcourse better if new machines come with free updates, but i don’t think it’s unfair to ask a little for, example a bundle of classics :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think anyone would, but it’s not going to live side by side if all their attention is on paid stuff. Meaning quality of free updates would most likely suffer.

Also nothing will ever probably sound like machinedrum or monomachine except the machines themselves. You can get close now with what is available but it’s never going to have the same feel or sound as playing the real thing.

Yeah it’s all speculation and thinking out loud man… agree, if this idea would come with the cost of losing the free updates than it’s not a good idea :slight_smile: But if not and they can manage it all side by side then it is a good idea. All speculation :slight_smile:

Agree, new machines on the syntakt will not sound or feel the same as working with the actual classics but for sure it would be cool to have a small piece of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I paid for the 7x7 upgrade for the TR-8 (which i don’t own anymore). And i’m one of the first who would buy an upgrade for the Syntakt. But i’d still rather have it for free.
When i look at my studio, i think i gave Elektron enough money already. :slight_smile:
But i’ll probably give them more anyway. I like them very much even though they keep taking my money. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think if there was even a whiff of cynicism / cash grab off a paid machine upgrade it would suck. it would have to be 100% good vibes and incredible stuff that wouldn’t have been made otherwise.

that might be an unrealistic situation tho.

3 Likes

The more I think about this, the more I’m against it.

Someone will suggest anti-piracy; someone will suggest DRM; someone will suggest the device phoning home occasionally to check the licences, or at least to be on a computer with an internet connection when you install them; someone will (years later) spot the device has a TCP/IP stack for the licensing and will start to think about paid updates; or they’ll have to use Transfer, but you’ll be online; then they’ll make you sign into your Elektron account to “set up” your machine; and then there’ll be bugs where it hasn’t closed the handshake properly, or it forgets your license, or … I dunno.

No. Best say “no” loudly before the idea gains traction.

5 Likes

Definitely try the Carbon machine, it’s based off of the M:C’s PC machine and I can get several flavors of toms from it, from generic to wild. With the Syntakt’s envelope and filter options plus extra parameters to tweak and the two LFO’s I’m sure you can squeeze even more tom-esque tones out of it.

Regarding future Syntakt updates:

I prefer their current business model where free updates sell future machines.

From Reverb on the DT, look at this price history graph. The 1.3 OS dropped June 21st, 2021. There are many factors here (supply chain, economy, etc.), but it would make sense if the value trends up when there is a significant OS update.

For new Syntakt machines specifically, it already has a ton of flexibility and depth (esp with the filters, and 2 LFOs), but I think we’ll see improvements first as tweaked parameters (like the addition of more square waves), and then a few new machines further down the line. To me it doesn’t make sense to make a design so modular, and then keep it fixed.

That said, my first actual prediction for a Syntakt OS update will be fixes (duh :slight_smile: ), and also make the analog distortion FX more controllable and capable.

1 Like

Yeah I think some rough fixes will be done first for a bit like they did with the recent firmware 1.01. I don’t see us getting anything new like machines or anything until maybe fall / winter, but I could be wrong.