Future machines

For me as soon as you start using the word ‘should’ you lose me :slight_smile:

I don’t think anyone should have to do anything to create music - if shortcuts can be made available that suit their workflow then that’s great.

Musicians have felt threatened by shortcuts created with synthesis right from the start. Whether it be handwringing about drum-machines making drummers unemployed or the musicians union trying to BAN Garry Numan because he dared not ‘do music properly’

Fuck that noise man!

2 Likes

I don’t find it offensive, but it’s analog machines we’re taking about right? Those don’t get introduced through firmware updates.

1 Like

There are also 8 digital tracks.
New analog machines can be added too (just like DVCO in AR) so long as they are built on the existing internal structure (number of OSCs, noise etc)

You can use the UT IMPULSE machine to trgger the filter with an ENV

2 Likes

Hey, do you know if the digital filters can self-oscillate?

Not the digital filter.

1 Like

Thanks

That’s cool man and no hard feelings - I just dont like rules around art ya know :slight_smile:

But yea the machines are updatable and I think someone said more are coming

1 Like

Oh yeah, appreciate the politeness when everyone seems to be cranky about very unimportant things to end goals of making music and having fun. Definitely not trying to apply “rules” to anyone else’s flow.

Isn’t art also about limits? Unlimited options, while awesome to have, can be a prison for my creativity as someone who wants to do everything at once with everything. It burns me out.

I mean im not going to turn down downloadable digital (or analog reconfiguration) machines, that’s true madness!

2 Likes

I would like a sample-player-engine too, just to be able to use good sounding HiHats :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My apologies if I came across negatively.
Not knowing your background, I know this only being a day old device has a lot of questions with it. And clearly Elektron using their terminology really didn’t give a clear ‘tom’ name to that machine.

So I was trying to get you an answer, and I’m sure I probably missed someone else giving it in the thread.

And then just, as I know from my experience it takes time to really get familiar with synthesis that if not having a dedicated tom was an issue, that I would just suggest what I did and save you some money if you were new to synthesis. But I am all for questions so I didn’t mean it in a negative way.

I’m still curious if you can get a square/pulse from the analog synth machine?

Hey no worries.
I was lucky enough to pick one of these up today! Looking forward to playing with it.
It’s been a while since I had my AR (so I might be wrong about this) but I think the Dual VCO has square yes, but not pulse or any PWM.
One of the digital machines here has variable pulse width though.

EDIT: dual vco has no square, I was wrong. But the digital option is there.

2 Likes

LOL!

[this is a complete sentence.}

1 Like

can machine types be p-locked as well? so can i switch in one track from CH to OH per step?

let me answer it that way:
I have a machinedrum since 2004. (Replaced it around 2007 by the MkII). I still regulary use this machine. Just today i explored a new way of using it and got exciting sounds of it.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience!

No, and if there is, I can’t figure out the way of achieving that. You can switch between different “sounds” with p-locks, but only if they use the same machine (by holding the trig and scrolling “Level/Data” [similar to the rest of the Elektron machines]). But I don’t see how you could change the machine itself with p-locks. Holding the trig while trying to change the machine (double-pressing Syn/Machine button) just results in the machine for the entire track to change, not just for the trig itself.

My understanding is that if the different sounds use different machines but of the same voice type (e.g both cymbal machines, or both digital machines) then one can be the default track sound and the other can be p-locked on a single trig. So CH and OH on the same track should be possible. It’s true that you can’t p-lock machines directly like on Model:Cycles, but I suspect that’s because the machines differ more on Syntakt (especially the non-digital ones).

9.10.2 SOUND LOCKS

You can change a track’s sound to another sound (that uses the same voice type) from the Sound pool on any individual sequencer step. These sound locks are an immensely useful feature for adding varia- tions to a track. Press and hold a note trig and turn the LEVEL/DATA knob to open the Sound pool list. Use the LEVEL/DATA knob to scroll through the list. Select the sound you want to assign to the note trig and then release the [TRIG] key. The [TRIG] key starts to flash to indicate that it contains a sound lock. Press and hold the [TRIG] key of the note trig to show the assigned sound. For more information, please see “8.1.1 ADDING SOUNDS TO THE SOUND POOL” on page 28.

1 Like

We would however expect a drum kit to include toms and cymbals along with the kick snare and hat.