Fun with Ratio Offsets

Found time to update mines today and so whilst I’ve not yet gotten overly adventurous like the above detailed adventures in wavefolding I have been having immense fun with them. Just using the smallest offset possible with the B operator and treating it like a single osc synth just adds some real life to acidic lines when you’re giving it yee-ha with the portamento. A bit more offset and it’s roygbivtacular (that’s definitely a real word!)…

7 Likes

@Zjenji @plusn Give me a few minutes and I will cobble together something approximating a demo video.

2 Likes

Just reading this over for the first time. Flipping brilliant mate! I can honestly say that the DN is possibly one of the greatest designs in modern synth hardware; affordable, enjoyable to the max, and gosh darn it, I love it!

I ended up selling my Tx81z two days after this update came out. It was a great friend this past decade but DN crushed it on every factor.

If Elektron continues to build/update equipment on this level then even the sky won’t be the limit. I know traditionally their ethos has been “limitations are good” but I feel the DN is now limitless.

Anyway, good show!

3 Likes

You did so much for the Audulus forums, it’s great to see you on this board too!

1 Like

Here you go!

This is pretty down and dirty. If I can ever get the screen to be in focus and not flickering, I will remake this video with a mode comprehensive overview of techniques, but hopefully this clarifies what I was talking about in the post above.

If anything is unclear, feel free to ask for me to elaborate.

59 Likes

Awesome! Thank you! All clear now. Its official…I am too stupid for FM. :sweat_smile: I thought i have to change within the Operator Model the different Operator ratios on Syn1 Page, instead of simply turning the Modulation Level Up in Syn2. :woozy_face:

5 Likes

This is great, thanks for the video

2 Likes

Honestly I think elektron need to do a serious in depth “How to FM with digitone” series for us FM phobics.

Cover the core concepts, how they are implemented in the digitone, what it means and how to create various typical and experimental sounds step by step with the digitone engine.

Im talking 10 x 30 minute videos going from “Im a troglodite and I fear fire” level and heading slowly upwards.

I honestly think this needs to happen and if it did they would sell a lot more boxes.

14 Likes

Its actually not so complicated. The Implementation for the DN is quite close to substractive Synthesis. I Just confused the terms Carrier vs. Modulator and didnt apply them to the SYN1 Page and SYN2 page.

2 Likes

If I trust anyone to teach the masses about how to sound design with FM synthesis, it would be @Ess.

6 Likes

that would be awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Now all we need is an LPG. :grin:

Really nice wavefolding demo! Cool to see that it works.

Hmm, yes I have been thinking of making some tutorials or something. I think a lot of people don’t understand just how much you can get out of the Digitone just because it has some rumor about being too simple - but that’s really just in comparison with some Yamaha stuff that is essentially a modular system, hehe! (Not that there’s anything wrong with that)

@papertiger Hmm! You should be able to replicate that by combining the regular ADSR for the filter with an LFO made envelope to alter the curve/movement a bit. I do this sometimes when I want more classic acid-y basslines.

16 Likes

Please Ess, it would be really usfull for the “Ugg no get FM workings” troglodites amongst us like me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can we get Hector to do the tutorial vid?! That would be excellent.

4 Likes

Oh, interesting idea about the LFO. I was figuring using the ADSR in the amp section and the ADSR in the filter section as well would create some non-linearity as well.

And it definitely works to make plucky LPG sounds as well, @papertiger.

3 Likes

Regarding FM tutorials, and after a bit of head-scratching to remember who did them, the series of FM8 tutorials by Trifonic years (and years) ago were the light-bulb moment for me with FM synthesis. He does a great job of explaining the basics and then that will help make more sense of how the various algorithims interact within themselves. Here’s the first one:

15 Likes

@Ess @RobertSyrett

It’s funny you both mention that - I was experimenting with that on Sunday afternoon when I was after a plucky sound. Tried to continue exploring today, but I think I might start a thread. Has to be better than another “what should I buy?” thread, right?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you both for your insights!

3 Likes

An “unlock the Power of xyz” helps definitively against GAS, as Long as you own xyz.

:joy:

For the Hardcore nerds, here is the article from the brilliant Gordon Reid about the mathematics behind FM Synthesis.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/more-frequency-modulation

Unfortunately…that gave me more headscratching. So +1 for a series of Hector explains FM series from me too.

2 Likes

This helped when I started with fm. Unfortunately there was never a part 2

this was also good

5 Likes