Fun with Ratio Offsets

Currently they snap (using FUNC) to pretty reasonable values for FM, I think that’s a more common use case than additive chords. Maybe it could do both do!

4 Likes

Yeah, that would be sweet indeed. I will think about a good way to approach this! (And as always, no promises…)

8 Likes

Updated this morning, this is just a killer update. The possibility to use the Offset as destination for the LFOs is just a whole bag of awesome for me :slight_smile: Thank you very much!

5 Likes

Ok, that sounds amazing! I think I’ll need a DTone^^

3 Likes

Dying to hear what this sounds like! Anyone fancy hitting record on their experiments?

I had planned to do a proper video but it’s too hot. But I mess with random ratios in this noodle:

6 Likes

This can be made by modulation wheel, but why not add performance mode like on A4?
Lfo modulated performance macroses would be the perfect solution)
Add a menu for editing 8 macro-parameters, each can control modulation of 4 parameters. And make this macro-parameters available in LFO destination. Perhaps cyclical dependencies will be created, but for simplicity, they can be separated and allowed for LFO 1 only to be modulated and LFO2 only to modulate.

5 Likes

That arp at the beginning has a distinctly Force Majeure by Tangerine Dream feel. For absolute clarity, this is a very very good thing.

1 Like

It’s the kind of thing that makes me happy on a hazy, sunny day

1 Like

Just had a tiny time-window to check this out, and am really impressed with this new feature. This is really clever and well thought out. I didn’t have much time really, but I immediately managed to give some analog vibe to some of my sounds that I thought 4-operator FM wasn’t really capable of. Very promising! Thanks Elektron for this awesome update!

2 Likes

WAVE FOLDING IS HERE!

How to:

Set your Carrier to .5 and it’s offset to -.5 producing a ratio of zero.

Well that’s silence, right? Let me say that it is ACTUALLY the first step to folding whatever modulator waveform you are using into a “West Coast Synthesis” complex waveform.

The idea is that with phase modulation you can use a Sine function to fold a wave. Read this blog post for more details

But The fun doesn’t stop there, you can use the harmonic parameter to twist the waveform in unexpected and kaleidoscopic ways. Here’s a little oscilloscope snapshot where I start of folding a sine wave and then twist the harmonics knob in both directions.

Digitone%20Waveform%20generator

But it sounds good too! Definitely try it out :slight_smile:

@Ess This is the best update ever.

37 Likes

I absolutely agree, it’s a game-changer for me. I liked the DN, but was not overly enthusiastic but now I’m so glad I held on to it. If it wasn’t for the fact that we can p-lock program changes on the midi tracks, I probably would have parted with it, to be honest… I just couldn’t achieve the sonic complexity I’m looking for in my sounds, and this update gives it to me.

BTW, what’s the oscilloscope you’re using? I tried a few, I use them a lot when designing my sounds but am not 100% satisfied yet.

1 Like

It’s an app called Oscilloppoi and I’m just recording the desktop with GIPHY capture. I don’t remember what I paid for it but it was less than $10. I also use the Mordax DATA quite a bit, but it’s more of a hassle to upload to the internet, what with it being a eurorack module.

Edit: For what it’s worth, I was about to sell mine as well, almost for the same reasons (plus I’m pretty broke at the moment and the DT is a lot of money just sitting in a drawer). I was inspired by the synth engine but found myself making my own versions time and again in Audulus because of the additional flexibility in routing and whatnot and then sequencing that with the Digitakt. Also buttons for playing the keys on the Digitone are just a little too narrow for my big sausage fingers. What kept be from selling was the way it can also be a mixer for two other pieces of gear (with really nice delay and reverb).

As it stands now, this is very close to my ideal synth. Basically I feel like this is the music easel of the 21st Century and everyone should have one.

5 Likes

Quick question:

Should operator go back in tune after modifying offset and setting it back to zero?

I have observed that this is not in case. After playing around with offset for operator C, putting it back to zero and setting mix to 0 (mix of pure sines of operators C and B both set to 1.0) the sound is going in and out of phase while holding the note.

1 Like

You are correct! When I turn the encoder very slowly back to zero I get phasing:

slow%20phase

However, on my unit, [FUNC] + knob combo to immediately reset to 0 offset and there is no issue.

instant%20reset

It depends what you mean by “in tune”. They become “in tune” frequency-wise again, but not phase-wise.

Without re-syncing the operators the phase between them will be clearly different than without you modifying the offset and going back to zero again.

1 Like

Playing with offset puts operator out of phase, but this phase shift should be constant. In this case operators are going in and out of phase what is suggesting they have different frequency.

This is not a big issue. If anything, it gives new way of creating pulse width modulation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmmm…i feel a bit stupid to ask, but how do i apply this to the DN? When i set my DN as described, i hear…no wavefolding. I guess i must be doing something wrong. What are your settings on Syn1/1 and Syn1/2 Page? Please?

2 Likes

Any videos demoing this yet?

2 Likes

Seconded. Treat us like toddlers and translate to DigiTone parameters! @RobertSyrett

:smile:

2 Likes