Fun with Ratio Offsets

Thanks for this. I’ve just knocked up a dirty Reece bass sound in 5 minutes using small offsets. Excellent update!

2 Likes

Thanks, this is a really nice trick, especially for arps and when setting one random trig LFO to harmonics and another random trig LFO to control the FM level(s) :heart:

4 Likes

I apologize if this has been answered already, and I searched.

• Can the ratio offsets for each of the four operators be p-locked?
  • Does the Digitone have a parameter slide function, like the MnM?

No to both questions.
More and more people are adding requests for slide trigs on the Digitone feature request thread.

1 Like

really? i just saw this and was experimenting, and i was able to plock ratio offsets…
maybe i dont understand the question, but i sure seemed to be able to plock ratio offsets on separate trigs…
if i am misunderstanding something, id love to know.
its my understanding that you can plock just about anything that you dont have to enter a sub menu for, i.e Hit FUNC and then another button, but page 2 on SYN1 i was able to plock.

5 Likes

I stand corrected.
Thanks I never even tried. Simply assumed they couldnt. Huh, and they can be destinations for the LFOs.

Pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Thanks @Microtribe & @ViolentMeals, p-locking ratios on an FM synth! Pretty wild. And they can be LFO destinations. No CCs or parameter slide. Thanks.

2 Likes

i only just started messing with it after that post. it IS pretty wild…whole other side to this machine i had not yet looked at. far out…

Assigning offsets to the Mod wheel on the Digitone Keys is awesome! I am getting some pretty good feed back guitar bend things happening… what a cool instrument!

2 Likes

Laughing at myself reading my own comment, almost exactly two years later, doing exactly this on the Digitone.

4 Likes

Has anyone used this feature to make patches with chords? Any sound examples?

Yeah I’ve made simple chords using ratio offsets. Can’t remember which patterns they ended up in. I’ll try and find them.

1 Like

Had a search for patterns using 1 voice chords and couldn’t find any apart from a couple of test ones. I can share the audio from these if you want but they don’t sound great.

I think the problem I found was with the limited choice of algorythms on the Digitone, the 1 voice chords I produced always seemed to end up with 3 operators with rich overtones making the 3 note chord and 1 operator making a sine tone which might be ok in the sound but usually I would try and hpf filter it out. Maybe I needed to experiment more…

Ultimately though, I think I decided it was just simpler to manage voices and use poly chords with the option to use 1 voice chords if absolutely necessary.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps you but 2 similar 1 voice sounds using different algorythms (8 then 7) playing the same simple pattern of minor and major chords.

1 Like

Chord table : use it in operator ratio offsets (SYN page 2)

Found in DN-Synthesis_Cheatsheet_v1.3.pdf (page 1)

https://www.elektronauts.com/files/529

Thanks to @William_WiLD

4 Likes

Hi. Just got a used Digitone, and the first thing I enjoyed (well, in my 3rd sitting and on) is playing with the ratios. In particular, besides chord-ing, I find I use ratios in the later stages of sound design. Like, I create a solid foundation, then build up from it using ratios.

I just came to this thread via the video on YouTube, and it’s a fantastic trick. Wavefolding lets me get the sound of my 0-Coast, and more. It’s not quite as plucky, but I’m working on that.

:+1:

Hi mate, how do you calculate the ratios for the chord you mentioned ?

It’s literally laid out on the right hand column

There are 13 ratios spanning 1 octave, 12 semitone gaps

The major scale notation is (from root upwards) tone/tone/semitone/tone/tone/tone/semitone

That’s 2/2/1/2/2/2/1

for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th etc up to octave

or in offsets (from root) for these … 0 / +2 / +4 / +5 / +7 / +9 / +11 / +12

So a m7 is formed with a root a flat3 a 5th and a flat7

you take these offsets in that column and focus on the ratio after the decimal point for the DN

the root = 0 = 0.00
the flattened third (+4 - 1) = 3 = 0.189
the fifth = +7 = 0.498
the flattened 7th (+11-1) = 10 = 0.782

8 Likes

Awesome tipps here!

Thank you.

1 Like