Fragments: Show us your half-baked stuff

I liked 1, 3 and 4 (stopped there). 3 and 4 for the sounds mainly … 1 was promising as a whole.

A bunch of audio fluff and ditties that probably won’t be revisited except maybe the last one. 1 and 4 are ND3 sequencd by Digitakt. Cringe away :blush: :grimacing:

5 Likes

These are great, pad in that third clip is absolutely super! :+1:

Thanks, that’s the Modor NF1(m). :hugs:

1 Like

You so should have submitted that final fragment, it’s rough AF mate, I’d have voted for that all day long…

3 Likes

Big thanks mate! I was pushing hard to make that amen rough enough to blow up the entire song haha it’s a big compliment :blush:

2 Likes

Hahaha I wish it was!! Big thanks for your words, as lot of 'nauts I keep dreaming to have at least one simple EP out. But…

:sparkling_heart: procrastination :sparkling_heart:

Getting some great Orbital vibes from this one at the beginning.

Oh I still want them. They live in my sketch book. I resample my own stuff quite a bit.

But go ahead, feel free, so long as you dont finish , and then post it back in here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the 1955 Concert D. I bought it for a classics piece my friend composed and I think it’s a real underrated gem.

Really enjoyed your composition with it too.

1 Like

If you aren’t a “proper musician” then I need to reconsider my entire life because each one of these is incredible.

2 Likes

Aah I like this thread.

A mate of mine once said to me about my leftovers, his perspective was I was wasteful. To be fair he was trying to get me to make some sounds for him and was trying everything as I kept saying I can’t ha! Sonic waste he called it. I quite like that, and it did help me think about finding ways to use stuff maybe as samples or something.

Anyway, here is something I recorded off a few weeks back using the Model Cycles. I made the loop ages ago, but it’s my partners Cycles, so I went through all her tracks and loops just to have an audio copy, and found a few of mine on there I had totally forgot about. This one definitely ended up embracing some Ae influence for sure.

Very broken, crunchy, raw, but it kinda has something going on. I wont do anything with it though.

I cut the start off as just noticed it was too long.

7 Likes

Niiice.

I think it’s really great to hear the stuff from people who regular finish tracks. I shows how much often needs to be done just to get a handful of decent ones for a release. Quantity to find quality.

1 Like

I see it like visual art. You might sketch daily, three or four, maybe more. Hundreds of sketches builds up in no time. Maybe you pick one and develop it into a full painting. Maybe not. But the point is constant practice, and the mental excercise of not caring if its good or not. Its just a sketch.

Then when you sit down to make a ‘piece’ your mind is sharp, your intent is clear.

I have hundreds if not thousands of musical sketches in various places on various bits of gear, and more archived on hard drives. What I consider good enough to finish and release probably represents less than 10% of my total output.

5 Likes

I have so many leftovers I don’t know where to start :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Nicely put.

@dshipp

@m0ld

Thank you both!!

@Pablo76 Thanks ! it’s nice to take these old thing out for a short ride.

@ramcmdr

And yet you made “proper” music…how revolting.

2 Likes

@Microtribe
You summed up perfectly how to look at ones “productivity” and the process behind it. Thanks a lot, great insight.
I read in another post someone who compared classic instrument players to those who use digital equipment. In a sense they said that no one expects a guitar player f.e. to record something each time they sit down and play or practice or noodle around. Why are expectations in that regard towards people using a synth or drum-machine so different?

@Unifono
At the top :wink:

@NeonMelk
You’re welcome. :slight_smile:
I am baffeled by the number of posts already. Glad to see the mission-concept works.

@malus_mons
My pleasure, figured we could use a place like this.

5 Likes

Fugue’n on a rhodes, groovin through a wavetable all done in drambo.

Thanks for making a place to share my 5:30am post-diaper-change staring in to the abyss over a cup of coffee trying not to wake the house and savor sweet moments of silence phone jams that never go anywhere.

(My son’s diaper, not mine. In case there was confusion)

10 Likes