Fragments: Show us your half-baked stuff

THE IDEA

Ok, this is an experiment.
All that talk around here about struggeling to finish “songs” resonated with me and got me thinking:
What if we reverse the premise?

Mission:

-Show a maximum of 5 unfinished (!) loops, songs, fragments, whatever…
-In a single file of 2:30 minutes maximum, for example about 30 seconds/loop.
-Less is fine!

-Transitions are a possibility not a condition.
-Extra info about how the fragment came to be or where you want to go with it is completely voluntary.
-(edit:) Please consider to (explicitely) allow resampling. Who knows what’s to come of it? One mans trash might be another ones treasure.

Deadline: Sunday , March 19, 2023

Submissions entered on later dates are still welcome!
(Or we simply might repeat the programm if it is of any success.)

Compensation:

Hopefully some constructive feedback, and the warm feeling of having “published” something that’s been sitting in the drawer for too long.

Not a competition!

Just a super-low-threshhold opportunity to “get out of the rut”.

No gear restrictions

Kalimba-sample through a Fuzz-Pedal? Bring it on.

The Theme

The longer your sonic experiment has been sitting “uncompleted” the more it should be shown here. If it’s going nowhere from the work in progress limbo, might as well shove it over here.

The Spirit

I expect this community to react encouraging to the posts or remain silent. Keep in mind this can be a sensible topic for more than a few of us.

21 Likes

This is what I always thought the current sounds thread was supposed to be! Haha. No problem, Ive got heaps of unfinished crap lying around :slight_smile:

15 Likes

How they came to be = mucking around in MiRack.
What I plan to do with them= Nothing, I don’t particularly like them.

(EDIT: I’m not sure I qualify for this brief at all. I finish shit regularly. Put out an album and an EP this year already, couple of EPs the year before, album and EPs year before that etc. So yeah @Pablo76 should I delete my post?)

10 Likes

Got a lot of unfinished Albums/Eps…
Usually i work on full Albums in one go rather than assembling tracks on the long run, so if my momemtum is broke by anything a little too long, it’s almost impossible for me to go back.

These ones are circa 2016, way before my first Elektron and Electronic music.
Can’t remember why the process froze exactly.

It’s all Kontakt Libraries, Swam Audio and Addictive Drums.

19 Likes

This is the moment this forum has been waiting for. Finally, a chance for our special purpose to shine.

5 Likes

Edit: back to keeping my good/bad ideas to myself.

5 Likes

Way better than my heap of fragments. 18.5 challenge completed.

2 Likes

Recorded this back in January. Really like the riff, but everything else sucks donkey balls and doesn’t fit at all. Couldn’t come up with anything that would go well with this riff.

6 Likes

Me too

1 Like

everything ive ever done.

(Was replying to each post individually at first. Consolidatet all my comments here now, sorry for temporarily clogging the thread.)

@Microtribe
Probably, yes. Let’s just consider this thread an attempt to reframe.

@Microtribe
Please don’t. It’s good to see that people who:

pruduce stuff they:

Thanks for participating!

@NeonMelk
Wow, first one sounds pretty cinematic to me. Also like the jazzy, laid-back vibe of the other stuff.
Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

@SouvlakiPlaystation
Challenge accepted, still listening… (edit: heard it all, where do I get my gelato?)
Wish I was brave enough to use my own voice.

Lots of interesting raw material in there. Maybe I should expand the mission brief with a request to state if “recycling” parts is allowed?

@alexwasashrimp
Awesome. Would you maybe consider posting just the riff and allow others to resample?

@Uzinusa
“… to interfere with my brain.” - Nice.

@ramcmdr
Beautiful, score-like even.

WORD!

@mutt
Strong stuff, what a wide variety of styles in a single genre. Feels like snippets from a secret label-sampler.

5 Likes

First go at a track / fannying around about a Brexit interview and how psychedelics might be helpful for a healthier perspective…

5 Likes

Sure! As long as I survive the next couple days (deadlines are coming).
I’ll be super stoked if someone can create a tune with it!

1 Like

Here’s my personal entry for the “running circles around the abandoned bin” mission. Calling it Ice Breaker - Loops from the Junkyard.
Still planing to flesh those loops out and make proper sooongs out of them.
(Somehow couldn’t upload a .wav so here’s the hi-fi .mp3)

You can maybe tell I am still having a hard time with gain-staging and keeping a consistent level across patterns.
Feel free to sample if you discover anything that speaks to you.

8 Likes

I can only play/compose by ear, no classical training, can’t read music and don’t know much theory and as such often feel like I’m not a “proper” musician. A few years a go I set out to write some solo piano pieces to sort of “prove” to myself that I’m not a hack with the intention of writing an album, but I picked up a Lyra and fell in love with it and totally lost sight of this piano project. First clip was an initial test with a piano from Reason’s factory sound bank, then I picked up Embertone’s Walker 1955 Concert D Lite after a friend recommended it as an affordable Kontakt piano (2nd & 3rd clips). None of the pieces I started are finished and I didn’t get far into the “album”. One day I might come back to it but I think I’ve just reached a point where I don’t care if I’m a “real” musician or not, making noise makes me happy and that’s all that matters.

31 Likes

These are downright beautiful, like music from an early Takeshi Kitano movie.

2 Likes

That’s very kind of you thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here I go with 4 personal unfinished Drum&Bass songs aaaaaand a 5th fragment from the first Elektronaut’s DnB battle challenge which I never ended nor submitted (Cowboy Bebop):

12 Likes

I like all of those … if you don’t want them can I sample them ;). ?

Oh wow, this was tailor-made for me. I have PLENTY of these to share. On it.

1 Like