FMR RNC or RNLA on master

I use the Behringer clone of the boss EQ pedal and it works fine for this.

1 Like

I did that with my motu and rme interfaces in stand alone mode, no laptop connected. Using the internal dsp to do the eq’ing.

1 Like

fun in parallel tho!

2 Likes

This we like…

3 Likes

this does the trick. £24 off amazon, definitely helps keep the bass and kicks a little more unmolested while glueing the rest of the mix together

4 Likes

Hey, sorry for bumping an old thread, but this seems like the place to discuss the issue I’m experiencing using the RNC with my Syntakt output.

Basically, I’ve plugged the Syntakt output using 2xTS (mono) cables into the RNC, and then fed the outputs using more mono cables into my mixer input.

It seems like the Syntakt can deliver +15 dBu and the RNC operates around 0 dBu, so unless I’m wrong, that seems like they’re in the same range. I also confirmed that the ST outputs are unbalanced, which is what the RNC wants.

The problem is that the RNC’s “gain reduction” LEDs don’t seem to move at all – it just stays on ‘0’ the whole time, even if I crank the input volume, decrease the threshold, and up the ratio. Also, the level of sound coming out of the RNC is severely diminished – like, I have to crank the trim way up to even hear it.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is my compressor possibly having some kind of issue? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

So the Syntakt outputs are, in fact, balanced. But it sounds from the manual like it’s fine grounding out the ring with a TS cable for unbalanced operation, so that’s probably not the problem.

Is it possible you’ve plugged something into the sidechain port of the RNC instead of the ins/outs?

I had the exact same issue and I presumed my RNC was dead. I put it down for a couple of months and fired it back up and it worked again.

I’m sorry this is a bit of a nothing post. I can’t give you any advice as to what causes/fixed it but I just wanted to say I’ve also experienced the same thing. My thinking at the time was a power issue or something.

1 Like

Oh, power is a good point!! The FMR stuff runs on AC power! 99% of the power bricks out there are DC converters. Do not look at the back, see “9v” and think you can use whatever you have lying around with it. This is the one case where “only use the power that comes with it” is really necessary advice.

EDIT: apparently this changed all the way back in 2016. They now use 12v DC supplies — at least in the US. Sorry for the panic.

1 Like

Have had a lot of setups changes since an earlier post… Moved to modular.
Still using the RNC as a pseudo limiter before going into a Heat Mk2 for EQ and filtering. Not using compressor on the OT.
It has become very valuable using these 2 boxes.

Haha, thanks for the reply nonetheless. I just picked up the RNC from Reverb, so it’s good to know that I’m not the only one who’s experienced something like this.

@jemmons, my other concern was the power adapter. I see that the RNC wants 9v @ 600mA, but the adapter that shipped with it is rated for 500mA. The seller, of course, says “it worked for me” :sweat_smile:

Oh, and I am 99% sure I didn’t plug in the sidechain port. I also tried using the left/mono channel only to test and did reproduce the same issue.

Just to check, I shouldn’t need any kind of preamp between the ST and the RNC, right?

Thanks all for your responses!

Okay, if it’s 9v beware. I think those were only ever the AC variety. Check the back and see if the power port is specifically labeled with “9VAC” like so:

61n0wto0kVL

The “AC” part of that is what’s important. If that “AC” is there, then you have to use the unusual AC/AC adapter. Here’s what mine looks like:

Pay particular attention to the “Output:” section. It should say “9V AC” or something. If it says DC or has the ⎓ symbol anywhere, don’t use it.

I’ve never seen that. Every one I’ve ever seen is looking for 500mA (see pic above). Maybe check for smudges or something that makes the “5” look like a “6”? If it really says 600mA, then all bets are off :wink: Maybe contact FMR to see what’s up?

1 Like

Thanks for the response!

The good news is, my RNC and adapter both use AC. Sure enough, the RNC also says ‘600mA’ – though good call to double check.

I’ll drop a line to FMR and see what they have to say! :okej:

Excellent! Please let us know what they work out. This is a fascinating mystery!

1 Like

Well, no solution yet, but I will say that the folks at FMR are very helpful!

I emailed to ask about the power supply and voltages, and they replied that

The RNC’s actual current consumption is around 200mA, so anything greater than that will work.

Just figured I’d leave that tidbit here for anyone else going down this rabbit-hole in the future :wink:

4 Likes

The older versions use AC to AC adapters and the newer versions use AC to DC adapters. The units are otherwise the same but were changed to comply with EU regulations.

1 Like

U.S. DOE REGULATIONS IMPACT RNC/RNLA POWER SUPPLY USAGE & AVAILABILITY­

Due to U.S. Department of Energy regulations, the wall-transformer that we’ve used for 20 years has been banned from continued importation into the United States. Because of this, the RNC & RNLA internal power supplies have been re-designed to permit operation from the newly-mandated “Level VI” power supply. Be aware that this modified version of the RNC and RNLA are marked, and should be used with, this new “Level VI” 12VDC (@500mA) power supply! Older RNC’s and RNLA’s are marked, and should be used with, a 9VAC (@500mA) power supply. In either case, the rear panel marking indicates the required power supply for that unit. For more information about this regulation:

I had this problem on one of my RNCs last year. It was down to a dead opamp, which I replaced myself.

I would like to try the passive side chain filter trick on my RNLA, and I’ve gathered all the required components:

Now I just need to now the actual resistance of the sidechain circuit of the RNLA in order to figure out which capacitor to use for my desired cutoff frequency. The manual states that the input impedance of the device is 10 kiloOhms. Is this the number I should use to calculate the correct capacitor?

One more update, looks like my issue is due to a swollen capacitor right by the power input. FMR suggested to replace the caps and that may fix it!

2 Likes