Flame Mäander

http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/flame2/news.html

This looks nuts

6 Likes

I’m curious what a filter bank sounds like or how it functions. Always saw it on the spectralis but this looks to have a better interface. Wave tables as well! Let me guess more than $1000…:confused:

Won’t be cheapening I reckon . 12 analogue multi mode filters will add to the price tag. But there it is : wavetable synthesis with an analogue processing path. Pretty cool (without hearing a bleep)

Thanks @PeterHanes for moving this to its proper location

That’s a whole lotta filter types! This might be pure magic with the audio input and sequence the filter.

3 Likes
7 Likes

The samples (called Examples) at the Flame website (see first post in thread) are really wild.

They also have a Eurorack module the 4VOX that is related and cost $550.

Yeah this thing looks really fun and interesting.

1 Like

hey guys,
any 4VOX-users here?
i’m quite interested in the MÄANDER but a little sad about the stereo-output. i basically want to use the 4 independent outputs of the module-version for quadrophonic installations.
now my question is: how much difference do you see between the module-version and this desktop-variation?
and also: how does it compare to the SHAPESHIFTER by INTELLIJEL soundwise & referring to the complexity of its modulation?

this sounds so cool, but it wont be cheap, if you look at flames modules, the 4vox and curves alone cost around 1300 euros, so this might be in the 1500 Euros range. website says its coming in may.

Three new videos (they’re all around a couple minutes long):

Flame Mäander unisono envelopes
Flame Mäander chord filter sequencing
Flame Mäander raga with voice effect wavetables

3 Likes

In one of the clips’ comments section, Per from Flame said target price was €1050. Not bad!

1 Like

From Superbooth, via Sonic State.
First they go through the architecture, and then at about three minutes you can hear some.

Nothing else is quite like this. Like for instance two separate midi inputs. or a sequencer track for each of the bands in the band pass filter.

9 Likes

Pretty cool with all the envelopes and even a dedicated one for the noise. Creative potential seems huge and none of the demos or sound examples seem to do it justice, sadly

1 Like

I got to check out a Mäander briefly at NAMM 2019. The rep was telling me that at the time the firmware was still heavily underdeveloped. Hopefully now that it’s close to market we’ll finally get to hear its full potential.

2 Likes

The Flame Maander full manual and quick start guide are up: http://www.flame-instruments.de/flame2/instruments_nomodular.html

2 Likes

Anyone got one of these yet?

Any lovers here?
Does anyone use it?
I’d like to know if built quality is good and fine. It’s a lot of money…

So few demos. For more of an idea I’ve watched a few vids with the Flame 4-Vox (osc) and Curves (filterbank). The 4 vox sounds friggin amazing in the vid below, but it’s being processed by a lot of other swanky eurorack gear

And a nice demo of Curves, first up filtering a Machinedrum:

The Maander’s midi sequencing capabilities are pretty amazing too.

I’m not sure how flexible it is for “standard” mono duties. The resonance on all filter bands is fixed and there’s no resonance control on the high pass filter, so probably not for acid bass lines.

Being able to sequence the filter bank on incoming audio, mixing that with the internal osc and noise, and controlling 14 mono midi sequencers, this looks like a very powerful bit of kit for live setups.

Anyone got one of these, nothing much about it anywhere, hardly any videos, sounds good from what I’ve seen but looks complicated to use

This thing sounds wild, super interesting interface also.

10 Likes