Flame Mäander

Any users care to comment on the Maander?

For me it’s a synth/groovebox for special tasks and I love its sound quality and options.

At first I searched a filter bank for my eurorack system, which should have much modulation options and I found the Flame “Curves”. But after some research about its sound, I stumbled upon the “Mäander”. I considered what I would gain going with the Mäander, ordered it, and its a keeper.

We can use the entire groove box as is, or only the filterbank on external signals. It’s a kind of performance instrument as well and complex settings/patches can be stored and recalled. The wavetables are interesting, but the Mäander shines, when all the filters are set and modulated by its sequencer.

5 Likes

It’s surprising how relatively little there is out there about this box. It looks so cool from the videos I’ve seen, but I don’t see much chatter about it!

Maybe the Mäander is not too well known and a little exotic for somebody used to do subtractive synthesis and being happy with one filter per voice. How many of us use a Sherman Filter Bank regularly? The Mäander isn’t the typical wavetable synth either and setting all those bandpass filters to static positions only, isn’t the major purpose of this box.

But after understanding that each of the single filters can have a dedicate role in shaping the sound periodically and/or rhythmically, this box starts to make sense. It comes with a learning curve and IMO it takes interest to try something new.

3 Likes

I traded for one today. This thing is magical. Really high recommendation, it’s so versatile for what it has. And it’s very different and unique from all my other gear!!

5 Likes

Congrats and have fun … :+1:

1 Like

I haven’t used mine in a while, but it sparks joy whenever I see it. I just love this machine so much! Glad I have one.

1 Like

Can you run an external synth through its filterbanks and stuff?

Is it mono only?

1 Like

Yes you can run external stuff through its filterbank.

Here’s a lot of info. It’s quite a complex and crazy machine… I translated the review to English for you:

2.0 FIrmware update (looks the same here, but is another article):

Today I remember about this instruments and very impressed. So, mmm… I want to buy this one))) … And what I see? Discontinued!!! Hahaha