Finding exact start/end/loop point in audio editor

I’m looking for help/tips on a workflow question: in the OT audio editor, how do I set the start, end or loop point to an exact multiple of the tempo?

Let me give an example: I have a long sample with an intro and a loopable part at the end. I want to edit it so that triggering the sample plays the intro, then continues looping that part at the end. How do I place the loop point? I can see that there is a bar length indicator at the bottom of the screen, but it’s not precise enough. If I set it wrong the loop will drift.

The most precise way would be to calculate the sample count of the loop and set it to that. That’s really complicated. There has to be a simpler way.

I agree, not precise enough. Calculate samples is the most precise.
Recently I selected slices I wanted tempo synced. I set the wanted tempo in Attributes, then I watched the wanted length, next lower value, next upper value, and finally select visually in the middle position. You can make an average with above / below values.

1 Like

Loop will show the value in samples when it is active / you move it.

2 Likes

There is. The value can be find with an average (see above), or calculated (values in samples).

But of course I’d also prefer exact value not to be between 2 values, but shown as soon as you reach it.

Feature-request@elektron.se

Exemple, you want 1 bar at 60 bpm

Bar = 1.00 is shown at 175 518 samples
Bar = 1.01 is shown at 177 282 samples

Average : (177 282+175 518)÷2=176 400

The exact value is 176 400

I’d want Bar = 1.00 to be shown at 176 400 samples

1 Like

Untested, but what about using track recorder set to RLEN 16, trigger the target sample at the start, capture 16 steps, then on the capture set loop point to end of capture?

Edit: yes a exact indicator in AED would be much more useful, even better if it can also show pitch for when working with single cycles.

2 Likes

Good idea. No reason it wouldn’t work.
The loop point doesn’t seem necessary…

1 Like

I just meant the loop point if you just wanted it to loop indefinitely without the sequencer.

1 Like

I tested it, it is sample accurate in my tests, can’t get more precise than that :wink:

2 Likes