Finally…

Thanks for confirming :thup:

1 Like

…a usb breakout box for individual outs in the size of another overhub, would be not cheap but is surely possible…but also a step back into a future, most people out there already left behind…
the ob concept remains the smartest option with most common ground in todays joins all tomorrows audio world…

How about Mac mini-sized? :wink:

1 Like

I would love to have this - for recording using OB is fine, but for live sets it would be lovely to have the kick or voice samples on a different channel…

3 Likes

Add a few faders on such device…
3 or 4 USB inputs.
FX and stuff. :yum:

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue ever since OB came out. I simply couldn’t get my Elektron boxes to properly sync with gear that was going through my Focusrite, no matter how much I fiddled with Ableton.

I actually went the opposite direction as you and started using OB for everything (Digitakt and Digitone + using their audio inputs for my other synths). It’s rock solid, and not having multitracking for my DT isn’t an option.

1 Like

Yes didn‘t try that often. One question (or i‘m missing something as often, struggking with gainstaging in general):
Where should the levels be more or less for main and/or track input, (controlled via elekron device, can‘t remember)?

A bit ot but related dumb question for general.
Does it matter when recording via ob (stereo to bitwig , multitrack too confusing for me with effects etc) if i increase volume and vst comp after recording or is it better recording into vst comp, limiter?
I‘ m often just recording a sketch from small mixer into small line of little zoom h2n to about -6db. Would bigger dual input on the bigger zooms be somehow better, and is it ok to try to eq a bit with vst comp (colouring a bit) and fader that stereo track afterwards or should vst comp just be used to record into? Is it possible to say what should be peak level before export to wav, mp3?

Thanks sorry i‘m still unsure as you see, have just that small zoom or elektrons, don‘t know if a soundcard would be helpful just for my crappy sketches or better dig out the old sony tapedeck…

This is a bitwig specific answer i gave regarding ob individual recording of DN.
But (i think. Possible i miss something)
my question at the end is general. ext ins can not be removed from main like the other tracks on dn?

If you mean main/master volume of the device coming from the line outs, I usually start with mine set at a 12 o’clock position by default. Syntakt and Digitakt I will sometimes bring down to 11 o’clock, Digitone I will sometimes bring up to 1 o’clock. Really depends on the tracks and type of music though.

In Overbridge, the multitracks by design come in with a lower gain to accommodate for mixing headroom. Again, depending on the project I will boost gain by anywhere from 6-12dB. Can be done on a per track basis, to the whole lot, that comes down to your preference. I will EQ as much as I can on the devices themselves, but ultimately do EQ in the DAW as well after recording. Then limiting and the aforementioned gain boost. I use Youlean Loudness Meter 2 to target an LUFS range around -14. Once I got a hang of this workflow, it became easy to build consistency for all projects. So I also recommend you keep that consistency once you find whatever works for you.

1 Like

Pretty sure they can be removed from the routing. Off the top of my head that is setting the INT TO MAIN to OFF on the device.

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood the question. You meant EXT IN. I don’t think that is possible to separate.

1 Like

Not sure what your awe-inspiring comment is meant to bring to the table. If you have an issue, I’m pretty sure you will find folks here willing to help you troubleshoot (or Elektron support itself).

2 Likes

Now now

1 Like

Yeah I shouldn’t respond. Just rubs me the wrong way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. People used the route to main thing in complex multitrack tutorials for efx only on main stereo and stuff for overbridge. Thought int to main is if sound comes from main when in ob mode. ( default is auto)
Edit: sorry didn‘t see your edit while reading manual thanks

Maybe you found a nice combination. Very complex ( also fascinating tecnically) for me anyway with overbridge. With clock/transport turned off and just a stero track less though.
Anyway that standalone thing is nice

Thanks alot for the tips. Above i meant the level in the standalone capture window.( No db numbers there) I think the last time i didn‘t see in this window main vol is set with data knob on internal mixer (1/3) page.

Jus’ playin around. Don’t take it seriously

Sorry

It would be fair to say that in my experience multiple elektron devices can be connected to Ableton or Bitwig with inperciebale latency and reliable clocking on a modest i5 win system. The fact that other users are experiencing difficulties is not a reflection of any shortcummings of overbridge. So with that in mind, perhaps it would be good working practice for users to investigate fully their potential bottlenecks before writing it off.

I spent hours troubleshooting it. I think it just doesn’t like my computers. It’s fine I hate USB. If it works for others more power to them.

If you have the minimum spec requirements, then there is something you are missing in your troubleshooting logic.

Gotta contradict you there. USB is very tricky. For example if it is implemented as a hub on the motherboard that can be an obstacle. Also the other devices installed on your system is a big variable.