Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Are you planning to record to USB disk with it? Because it only supports stereo operation there, no multi-track record.

Thanks for the info. Multitrack recording is desirable for sure.

Here is a little tip for those who are rack mounting the Qu-Pac.

To give a comfortable viewing/usage angle for the Qu-Pac, it has a slanted face and this is especially pronounced in a 19" rack.

Mouser makes and sells these M5 screw standoffs for $0.75 each that will push out the face of any other rack mount gear you plan to mount under the Qu-Pac.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/98525200/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduhEYpGyTDeAvdcv%2baTfYyrlzV82y%2F8gYfvOxDphr6jyTg%3D%3D

The female threads on the standoffs arenā€™t terribly deep, but using 2 or 3 washers between the threads and your rack screws makes the mounting firm.

4 Likes

Strange how many different subtle limitations there are amongst the different models?! Would be so much easier if they where identical bar the faders and physical in/outsā€¦

Not huge as itā€™s easy to rout but it Doesnā€™t seem like the qu 32 /PAC can return from the computer into the stereo channels?! Where as the others can. Could actually only only return to 1+2 when I tried and st channels arnt an option. Would probs jus like to set and forget that to st 3 maybe which Iā€™m not usingā€¦ Not big just wonder why the odd limitations here n there not obvious without digging in the manual.

Amazing mixer tho and it sounds awesome too, actually got me thinking more about my processing and I aim to simplify things by jus useing the mix/fx/dynamics processors on the board itself and getting the cleanest signal poss from the instruments then bounce via some more colourful processors later, if thatā€™s what I fancy.

So many routing options I find it difficult visualise the options sometimes having only used an analogue board.

Cheers

Using it as an interface is not super straightforward. I ended up just making a scene with a softkey assigned to it for whenever I wanna monitor my DAW.

Question: Does anyone know if you can group FX? I tried via routing settings, but couldnā€™t get the group on/off option, only DCA/Mute groups.

Managed to get my hands on a QU24 from my local dealer for a very good price. :smiley:

Only thing itā€™s missing for my purposes, is MIDI synchable delays, so I have a TC D-Two connected.

Nice!

Still trying to see if you can group the 4 effect returns through groups?

I havenā€™t tried using the groups at all yet. Only had a couple of days with it. :slight_smile:

Currently running all 6 mono outputs from my Tempest through it, although might switch to a stereo pair with 4 monos. Itā€™s the Tempest which is getting the main benefit, due to it not having internal effects, but having discrete outputs for all voices.

Just plugged it in as of now, I have it at my office at work.
The answer is yes,
In the channel screen, when you press on the the ST, FX, GRP tab on top, you can assign the FX Returns to one group.
Click on the Fx1ret then mix select and chose your groupe.
The thing is that when you assign one fx return, the 3 other FXs automaticaly go to the same Grp. The effects can also be put as inserts on a groupe, but that is limited to one effect per groupe.

Hope that helps

2 Likes

Ah, I just sat down to play with it again. Never realized the on/off button to activate what channels for each particular mix, Iā€™ve mostly hung out in the routing screen (using main LR mix) to mess with all my routings.

Thanks for the heads up, that was simple/super helpful.

Cheers, yeah I did the sameā€¦ Manual isnā€™t that much geared towards studio use imo, can be tricky to understand.

Would be nice if the 1-16 buttons Iā€™m using for channel select could be multi layer so for eg a soft key could change the function from channel select to mute to solo etc ?! Iā€™ve not had time to go deep with it yet. :fearful:

The Qu Pac has been such a problem solver for me, and has incredibly low noise.

Hereā€™s a shot of the noise floor from my CH/OH Rytm output, gain structure on the QuPac includes 10dB input gain, +2db on the digital fader, and another 10dB on the direct output, recording over USB.

2 Likes

Hi electrow, I had for a couple of months the MGP24X and I consider it is a really good mixer but not for electronic music. Better for doing soundstage for a band.

If you start mixing a track and later you want to continue with another mix youā€™ll see you need to tweak EQ, fx and so on.
So, the next time you like to do your first track youā€™ll be in a trouble so you probably couldnā€™t redo the same settings. So for that purpose go for a digital mixer where youā€™ll be able to have diferent scenes / snapshots saved inside the memory mixer so youā€™ll always have all the setings for each song just pressing a button or doing just a couple of comands on the screen.

Regards

ok, I found my dream team for the studio: RME UFX with Ferrofish A16, 28 Ins and Outs on 2 HE, very short latency, different submixes for every output, USB-Recording of all channels, works stand-alone and with pc, Software mixer for Desktop and ipad, easy switching of snapshots with the arc remote, a bit more expensive than a qu-pac, but more flexible in the studio, as the qu-pac has no desktop control software, worth every penny.

Cheers

3 Likes

Anyone have any experience with midi controllers + qu-pac?

Afraid not.
The built in screen interface is so simple and immediate that I donā€™t even use the iPad with it.

I should probably go ahead and unplug and pack up the 802.11n router I have hooked up to the ethernet port for iPad control.

This thing has been such a carefree product to own. Recording is so simple now. I can totally see myself dropping a lot of money on the input expanders instead of using patch bays. Scenes are the truth!

5 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve used only the built-in interface as well and itā€™s been grand.

I have a midi controller i was curious about hooking up. Iā€™ll give it a go in the next week, will post my experience.

You need a USB host adapter if the controller you want ti use does not have host capability, I briefy tried using a Kenton USB host and my Remote Zero SL and it worked fine. But as @AdamJay says the interface is good enough that I donā€™t use midi or the ipad with it. I guess for realtime fading of multiple channels and other tweaks like eq and fx I might use midi in future, but Iā€™m too lazy to do all the set up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aye, agreed with the too lazy bit. The interface is pretty fantastic, but I recently picked up a Launch Control (super cheap midi controller btw) and was trying to find ways to incorporate it into my proper studio setup as opposed to just using it for portable knobs for automation in arrangements.

A & H have done a terrific job at releasing regular updates for it. Makes me feel good that they have a number of Qu products which makes me think theyā€™ll be supporting the line for a long while to come.

1 Like

Thanks, @AdamJay Iā€™ll be sure to check it out. Owned a Behringer for awhile that did something similar. Thanks for the tip.