Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Dude. After further investigation, I need that. How intuitive is it to record and tweak sounds before routing it out to USB?

Intuitive enough.

You can even decide at which point in the signal chain to assign the direct outs (which feed to USB).
Post insert, post EQ, etc.

Cool thats a great idea it could very well fit on a plane ride too ā€¦ Hmmm

How does the QuPac compare to the Zoom R16s? The R16s are significantly cheaper, and they can be chained to make 16 sep inputs

1 Like

The Qu-Pac has 22 analog inputs before any expansion (it can be expanded to 46 inputs with an AR2412, there are also smaller expanders of 8 and 16 inputs).
It records up to 18 tracks simultaneously, direct to USB thumb drive, and up to 32 tracks over USB to a computer. It also offers ā€œvirtual soundcheckā€ aka playback of the USB driveā€™s multi-track recording , back through the EQ/Dynamics/Gate/Ducker & bus system.

For more differences in specs I recommend looking at the manuals or even just the promotional documentation for each product. I believe both have SOS reviews as well.

Also, consider that there was about 6 years between the release of the R16 and the Qu-Pac.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

@AdamJay are we talking 16 stereo tracks or mono ?

Edit : found it ! 16 monoā€¦

16?

The Qu Pac does 18 (mono) over USB stick.

There are 16 mono inputs, plus 3 pairs of stereo inputs (= 22 analog inputs)

Yes, I was talking about the 16 line input, indeed there are 3 more in stereoā€¦Which is quite a lot !!
:smiley:

I a bit confused with the specs.
For instance, I donā€™t see what ā€œ32 Mono + 3 Stereo Input Channelsā€ means exactly.

Guess I have to dig a bit :tongue:

edit : ok, maybe itā€™s about the 32 output you get on USb for direct recordingā€¦ So you can add Master and some FX channels to the already big bunch of inputā€¦
A great solution indeedā€¦
:3lektron: (please) dare come up with something better !!
:smile:

1 Like

If they do, I canā€™t afford it.

(If they come out with anything I canā€™t afford it)

I still donā€™t use the direct to computer USB recording.
I figure if I canā€™t get it all into 18 audio streams, I am probably not getting to the point with the music at all. However, I do make full use of the 22 analog inputs.

For my uses, I have 2 recording ā€œScenesā€ set up in my Qu-Pac. I switch between them via pre-programmed ā€œsoft keyā€ button on the front panel

Scene 1: MD + A4 + TM-2
4 tracks MD
2 tracks A4
2 tracks TM-2 (these actually go through the MD inputs and out of MD outs E&F before entering the Qu-Pac)
2 tracks FX1 return
2 tracks FX2 return
2 tracks FX3 return
2 tracks FX4 return
+2 tracks stereo mix bus L&R (for reference)

Scene 2: Rytm + MM
10 tracks Rytm
4 tracks MM
2 tracks FX1 return
(other FX buses are configured as insert FX for MD & Rytm tracks, and are recorded there)
+2 tracks stereo mix bus L&R (for reference)

3 Likes

Nope, itā€™s standalone, one of its many beauties :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Big thanks to @darenager for starting this topic! I was looking for a new digital mixer to replace a X32 rack and got interested in the Qu-Pac after reading this. Like many of you here I need loads of line inputs to hook up synths and stuff ;).

So I got out and bought a Qu-Pac and soon got interested in Mixing Station Qu but didnā€™t have an android tablet to run it on. Got a cheap Minix Neo X6 connected to a 21" LCD - works like a charm!

Iā€™m now in the process of choosing a controller for some physical control of the faders - looks like any combination with Bomeā€™s Miditranslator will do the trick. I managed to map an AK knob to control a fader with it.

Anyway, Iā€™m loving the Qu-Pac!

Patrick.

4 Likes

iā€™ve kept thinking about using an ipad/android tablet to control my qu-pac, but the onboard interface is oh so easy to use that i keep putting it on the back burner.

1 Like

Iā€™m starting to feel the pull for this one again even though I have a perfectly capable multi-tracking mixer. Especially moved by the prospect of recording directly to an external drive, setting up quick aux send scenes, having more inputs, and having a compressor on every input. I fear that Iā€™ll miss having EQ knobs and faders on hand for every channel, but I think I should just pay attention to how much Iā€™m actually using them in practice ā€“ maybe mutes are really all I need, since I do continuous volume control at the sound source.

Fortunately, the 15 tactile soft keys on the face of the Qu-Pac can be assigned to all sorts of things, including channel mutes and mute groups!

1 Like

Yep, so I understand!

I was doing sound at the ā€˜liveā€™ stage of a psy-festival with a Qpac a couple of months ago.
We had two ipads - one to mix FOH and one to do monitors .

Its a pretty great little mixer ! and I think it would suit a large live-electronic setup pretty well.
I found the effects okā€¦ the ā€˜dub delayā€™ was fucking terrible but hey maybe I just didnā€™t have time to get my head around it (but really its a dub delay how complicated can it be).
Also doing dub shots on an ipad isnā€™t fun.
Neither it trying to mix a 9 piece afro-beat band on an ipad (withā€¦dodgy foldbacks). next year im trying to get them to hire a Qu32 or Qu24 console and only 1 ipad. ANYWAY

Qpac = all good in my books unless your mixing bands for 3 days :wink:

1 Like

The Blue Man Group in Vegas use the Qu-Pac.

ha ha awesome