Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

On the subject of studio stands/risers:
I’m using an old 8U tabletop rack stand I had spare that had been in storage for the last 10 years. It does the job. I’ll probably add an older cheap FX rack mount processor, or two.

There is a 6U stand on eBay which would be better for the Qu-Pac by itself

or:

These anounced too !! If your using the I pad interface exclusively they seem the ideal solution if the limitations suit you!! Looks like you Mainly just loose the soft keys and a few couple of stereo channels of the qu pac? I haven’t compared properly but Hoping the price might justify the limitations for me.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-sb/

Yeah, that was announced recently and the latest firmware is what it’ll run.

I’ve been playing with the idea of getting a tablet for the Qu-Pac, but really, it’s so simple to use it without one. Once they start including features you can only do using the app, then I may get one.

Those of you who run android, this looks like a very awesome 3rd party alternative to the iOS app offered by A&H. It looks to have all of the same bells and whistles, minus what was just released. The developer is updating it pretty consistently.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.davidgiga1993.mixingstation.ah_qupro&hl=en

^ yeah I’ve been fantasising over visual representation of the multitrack recording on a pad with basic editing !! Like a mini daw interface for simple editing with the qu taking care of all the processing in real time…

I think if the price of this latest version is enough below a grand it will be worth the loss of tracks for me as I’ve been trying the editor and I can’t see how the smaller interface touchscreen on the pac could better it, tho if you can have multiple screens open at the same time with different things might be handy.

Wow, am I loving the Qu-Pac! Even more than I thought I would. So intuitive.

In the first 3 hours I was able to set up two scenes. One for recording, one for playback from the USB drive.
Both with all inputs named, and a custom Qu-Control input page arranged. (I particularly like this, as I can arrange Rytm channels from the bottom up, as they are arranged on the Rytm itself)

Both scenes with soft keys assigned to transport and various mutes.

I’ve tested the Qu-Drive multitrack recording feature (to 32GB USB stick), and playback, both without incident. Even recorded 24 streams over USB into Ableton Live on my 2009 MBPro. Love getting all internal those FX returns recorded.
It worked great, without glitch or issue at 512 sample buffer (which is of little consequence as I don’t monitor through the DAW. The beauty of the Qu-Pac is all that DSP with zero latency monitoring)

Expert mode on the reverb goes deep! Loving that. I think I’ll use the reverbs more than anything else and just dedicate my outboard to Chorus and Delay via the mix outputs.

Haven’t even set up the network yet for Qu-Control on iPhone and Qu-Control on iPad. The 5" touch screen is quite easy to navigate once you have your bearings.

My little composition and recording room:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Qu-Pac! It’s really helpful to know these particular features worked well for you, as I’m trying to evaluate it for our trio’s live rehearsal multi tracking without MacBook in tow. Just curious about that 32GB… given you had multiple tracks going via Qu-Drive, how fast did you fill it up?
Also, I’m happy to hear the built-in screen still allows for reasonable control and access. I have no problem using an iPad to tweak but am also pleased to know that the Qu-Pac display really does work, in case I don’t set up Wi-Fi just for that purpose.
Cheers!

Like Olaf, I prefer the onboard screen over the iPad interface. It’s laid out a bit better and once you’ve developed some memory of where things are, it’s easy to get around. And with the v1.9 firmware, “Mix Select” can now be a soft key, which can speed up navigation even more.
I’m using this 32GB drive.
A 32GB drive (A&H has a list of various approved drives, of various sizes), with 18 tracks of multitrack recording gives 3hours and 23 minutes. at 24bit, 48khz…

Hi AdamJay,

did you format that drive to FAT32 or it worked by itself?

By the way, thanks a lot for the link I’ve seen the usb pen drive is really cheap :astonished:

Format to Fat32. THEN use QuPac to format it, as recommended in the manual (or maybe I read it on a forum).

Zero issues, so long as I have properly powered down the QuPac before removing the drive, otherwise, things can get corrupted.

1 Like

Alright, thanks!

Great, thanks for the added info!

1 Like

here are a couple of pics of my qu-control config…i haven’t used it much because I often just go to the channel screen to tinker with my levels. Then I have all my sends to my effects (internal/external). This makes adding effects on the fly a lot easier.

Here, i have my softkeys setup. i’ve been using mutes a lot more lately, though i mostly do it to mix and not to perform. i try to do all of that via each elektron’s mutes.

the 16th channel key didn’t make the shot, but that’s set to my main L/R mix. 15 acts as a spacer.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with turning everything up to Unity since looking at this post.

http://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qupac-gain-staging

Mixes are louder and adjustments only require minimal fader massaging.

1 Like

Just wanted to follow up for those who are interested, I picked up one of these 6u racks on eBay. It makes a great stand for the QuPac.
I have a TC rack FX unit on the way to populate the space just beneath the Qu Pac (plus some M4 screw standoffs to push the TC faceplate out to be flush, under the Qu Pac). For this I had to remove the Qu Pac feet which were simple to pry off.

(forum being odd with pic attachments, see below for pic)

You don’t have to use the 1u blank panel once the QuPac is mounted, it’s stable enough without it. I was happy to find it came with very sturdy rubber feet, as well.

They also sell 5u stands, which would work fine behind Elektron gear, if you have no other gear you need in the rack.
I would shy away from the 4u, as it would not leave much room for the jacks going into your Elektron gear.

1 Like

5 Likes

looks great…i have a 4u rack and the qu-pac just sits right on top.

^ goes to show how easy it is to integrate the qu-pac in a variety of settings.

but the ducker from the Qu-Pac is too slow to react to a kick, its just for softening the music when you talk over a microphone. The Compressors dont have a sidechain input either.

1 Like

It’s subjective. 20ms ducker attack is plenty fast for my uses, but I’m not making drum&bass and rarely venture above 133bpm.

No one ever said the compressors had side chain input.
Hence the term “mimic”.

1 Like

An interest in this yamaha 32 ch mixer for an electronic studio? : MGP32X
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/mgp_series/specifications.jsp

Here’s an SOS review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may14/articles/yamaha-mgp32x.htm

Had a play around with a QU24 yesterday. Think that might be the unit for me, when I’ve got the funds together.

Smaller than I expected too.