Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Transcend Jetflash 710S 32GB is the thumb drive I used without ever any issues when multi-tracking 18 channels.

The 32GB model is on A&H’s approved list.

3 Likes

i’ll chime in and say that i much prefer interfacing directly into a daw as opposed to using the thumb drive. my initial intentions were to use the thumb drive, but there’s a lot of back and forth if it’s all going to end up in your DAW anyway.

2 Likes

I preferred the thumb drive message since I monitored from the Qu outs and wanted that low latency, computer free, record whenever workflow.

But I could see the advantages of skipping the middle-man. Just crank the buffer up in your DAW, if you’re still monitoring from the mixer for low latency. That way you’ve got plenty of buffer for drop-out free recording.

1 Like

Was really considering the QuPac but i guess i will go with a Motu 828es with 2 x ada8200.
Can be used as a digital mixer and anyway i will record with the DAW.
I think the Motu 828es can be used stand alone using an ipad directly connected via the usb port if doing live gigs. But … need to think about that.

Guys, how many of you ( if any ) had experienced digital noise coming out of QU while streaming from daw to QU-xx ? I run in to that on a A&H support forum, apparently QU-xx doesn’t like usb 3 port ??

So i was about to buy QU-16, i need to be able to record to DAW, and then stream from DAW, while simultaneously overdub.

Now i am on a fence , i have old x220 laptop, so it will work probably, but when i buy new one with usb 3 in a near future, will my mixer work ?

Yes. I had it. The mixer kind of loses sync with the PC and you get a bitcrushed type sound which turns on and off depending on what I’m doing.
I sort of solved it with a PCIe USB hub, but I still had issues with loud pops and cracks when I changed VST presets in synths.
A&H support blamed my PC and had me turning all kinds of hidden power settings off/on, then blamed other USB devices. It was clear to me it was the drivers , but support didn’t think so. they thought it was power drain from too many controllers.
After a few months of it I eventually sold it and got a Si Impact, which works flawlessly with 32 tracks via USB and very low ASIO latency.

2 Likes

This is bit off topic, but just a few suggestions if I may?

If you struggle with mastering, I recommend checking out “easy mastering plugins” such as IK Lurssen Mastering Console and bx_masterdesk. They are quite easy to use and while might not give superb results like what a professional ME can do, they are also quite forgiving (not easy to ruin your mix with them). I use IK Lurssen Mastering console myself, and I think it does a reasonably good job considering how easy and fast it is to use. Feed it a well balanced mix and the results are usually at least OK if not great.

I think mastering presets for this kind of mixers are not offered so much, because mastering is a very context-dependent process, generally speaking, so any simple masterbus EQ/Comp presets will be mostly useless.

3 Likes

Hey thanks, that’s what i am afraid of. I would go for impact 32, but it’s a bit to much for me ( to big and to many channels ) , but i could find smaller expression 1 mixers .

I don’t know what country you’re in but Impacts are going for a little more than I paid for the Qu-Pac at the moment in UK.

The Expression series doesn’t come with the MADI/USB board, it’s a £300 extra, and doesn’t have the digital scribble strips for track naming.

Also, it’s different to the A&H mixers as you don’t plug it into your regular wifi router along with your PC for tablet control. You need to buy a separate wifi router otherwise your mixer goes bonkers.

1 Like

Mine Qu-Pac started to crash after 5h of use :frowning:

Weird. My Qu24 (and before that, the QuPac I had and returned because I was missing faders) are rock solid, never had the slightest problem!

What’s your use of it? I use it for multitrack recording (with the USB key or through USB to the computer).
I don’t have the MIDI plugged.

Get yourself “Mixing Secrets” by Mike Senior. Even 4 chapters of it are already very interesting.
It actually made me more aware of my ignorance in the subject, and taught a lot! Just let it in the toilets for instance :wink:

3 Likes

I use also only multitrackin to USB stick. Strange that in this time when all sounds from monitors and headphones crashing then still multitrack recording is fine.

When I used it via the AES out into a Marian AD2 PCIe card it worked perfectly. As soon as I sold the Marian card and went via USB I used it as a USB audio interface and that’s when the problems started.
The distortion seemed to start/stop when I flicked presets in some synths. IL Harmor used to be the worst culprit. It’d cause a bit-reducer type distortion which would stay with all the USB audio coming out of the mixer, even after I’d turned off Cubase and ran regular music or youtube videos with the regular none-ASIO drivers.
My guess is that some VSTs when changing presets would cause a loud click and this click would send an error or invalid data number to the Qu causing it to lose USB clock sync. (I say clock sync because I’ve heard this distortion before with SPDIF sync errors) Changing the preset again a couple of times would return it back to normal. But if I didn’t it would need the Qu to restart to get it working again.
It didn’t seem to matter what bit depth or ASIO latency settings I had the Qu on.

What is the latency for you on your computer ? U are on mac or win ?

Impact looks great, i buy from thomann, so yes, there is no big price difference, but it is simply to big and overspeced for my needs ( multitracking synths in my flat ) . Damn, also its xlr inputs only, which does not help. But this usb streaming issues are putting me away from QU big time … What is the normal latency when used as interface guys ?

As i said i could go for expression 1, its smaller than impact, and there are some second hand with madi/usb card for good price. ufff… decisions decisions

Thanks for your help. I just don’t have computer :shushing_face:

1 Like

Oh thanks, I gonna look for it, this might be very usefull to find and understand the way I must follow.

1 Like

Question; qu-16 has 22 ch input total, meaning if i want to stream 8ch from the daw in to the mixer, it leaves me with 14 physical inputs ?

Giving up from using qu 16, i was planning to multitrack in to daw so i can edit my multitrack recordings, that’s the whole point of multitraking for me. So i realised that it has no sense to have this digital console at all. Ill go for nice adat, probablli used audient asp800, or rme octamic 2, us it as 8inputs and 8 direct outputs back to my analog mixer. And add the rest of digital procesing while editing in daw. I think this will also sound better, and i will not be stuck with the digital mixer and its limited processing offerings.