Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

I think I just have to sell my QuPac and buy a little zoom.
I must try to do my best and make the right stereo record. À l’ancienne, back in the time when the musicians play and the record was made in few takes.
Maybe it’s my research for this year.
Selling QuPac will maybe permit other gear to get in my studio.
I must think about it before fired the A&H

I am not sure I understand your issue. It is fundamentally a live mixing desk with the possibility to record either stereo outs, or multitrack (typically pre fader, fx etc) to mix in a daw. But I guess you could in a second step also remix the multitrack recording (recorded on an external USB harddrive) within the Qu Pac and record the final stereo track. No computer needed for this, I think.

Thanks for your input.
Maybe i’ve miss something, but as far as I can read multitrack from my USB key in Qu drive, I cannot (or maybe ignore how to) record it (the multitrack session) in stereo or affect the muktitracks with fx or further eq.
I would like to be wrong

Hi, I never actually tried this, but according to the manual (p. 54) you should be able patch the tracks of the multitrack recording to the input channels, and then process, etc. For recording the main stereo outs, you would then probably need an external recorder, though. I think it can only play back and record at the same time with a computer on the rear USB port…

Thanks for your thought.
Yes, you are right, I can use the Qupac like a live instrument and record it in an external stereo recorder. That is a solution I had not think about.
You’re right again when you said it can be process during the reading of the multitrack, I can eq and compress (I really have miss something). I must chek if I can play with the fx too (during reading).
Then it became another step of my studio work. Process the multitrack in direct while recording in an external device.
You gave me new perspectives, thanks a lot.
I return to my QuPac and work this way.
Maybe with groups and such things I could have nice tools to use differently my records.

2 Likes

It looks like you can trigger snapshot recollection with midi notes, which has me wondering:

1. How fast is the switching?
  2. Are there any pops or fades on switching?

I have a couple Akai MB76’s that I’ve been using, but they:

1. emit pops on switches.
  2. are unbalanced and noisy.
  3. have pretty poor resolution over gain control.

EDIT: The jumping VU meters in this video seems to indicate there are indeed pops on snapshot switching. Hmm.

Hi everyone,

I’m looking at buying the QuPac. One question I have though: I have seen it’s possible to control the Qu-Pac from an Octatrack using a Midi USB host (for example to auto switch scenes). What I’m wondering though: if I do that, will I lose the ability to multitrack record to a drive, since I’ll be using the USB slot for MIDI control? Or are there alternatives to this?

Also, is this still the perfect mixer 5 years later? I’m comparing everything I can find online, but I’m not finding much that competes with the portability, scene recall, multitrack recording and decent effects of this unit.

Bomebox supports the Qu tcp/ip protocol which should allow you to use the network port to control Qu.

The USB recording on Qu itself is however using the usb port on the front and connects to a thumb drive. That’s separate from the port on the back that connects to a USB host (such as a computer or a MIDI host interface (which Bomebox is also capable of).

Afaik, USB multitrack recording on USB key or external hard drive via the USB port on the front (A&H call this “Qu-Drive”) is independent from Midi control over USB, but I have never tried this out.

Regarding useability, I originally bought the Qu Pac for my synths, but I ultimately missed the possibility to touch faders and knobs. If you consider any mixer-based live action, you need also an Ipad running the app (and a wifi router). In the meantime I streamlined my setup a bit and went to using a DJ mixer. The Qu-Pac still serves our seven-piece live band; sound and routing capabilities are excellent, and portability is unbeatable. (I have mine in a small rack case.)

1 Like

Thanks for the answers!

This is great news. So many possibilities. It’s crazy. Thanks also for namedropping the BomeBox that looks like a great little tool.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this gear. I’m also a little bit on the fence whether I should use a DJ mixer or the Qu-Pac. Can I ask what DJ mixer you are using?

I have a Sequential Pro3, Novation Peak, A4 , Octatrack and AH. With this setup I’m just on the verge of fitting or not fitting in a 4 track DJ mixer. For example, if I want to split the outputs of my Octatrack into Cue for bass drum and normal output for everything else, 4 tracks would just barely not be enough. I also definitely don’t want my setup to grow anymore complicated. I think 4 synths is kind of the max I can handle mentally.

1 Like

I was lucky to find a very reasonably priced, used Model 1 mixer. It has 6 stereo channels, which I use for AR kick, AR main out, A4, OT, OT cue, and Micromonsta 2. It has 3 stereo sends and 2 stereo returns. It is fully analog with great sound, aimed at live mixing; it doesn’t have a soundcard or allow for any kind of multitrack recording, though.

2 Likes

which channels shall I select as monitoring in Traktor or other dj software to pre-listen in headphones what is played in another deck, if I use Qu-Pac as USB sound interface?

Whoa! That’s such a good idea to store the router and whatnot in the back case lid!

Thanks for showing that

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a cheap Thomann case. It is important to choose a model with reduced depth to keep the rear connectors easily reachable. The lid holds the power cable, router + cables, external hard drive for usb multi-track recording, usb key, and a mixer lamp.

2 Likes

i’ve got the case already… had it for years now, but i never thought to strap the stuff in the lid! i’ve been carrying a second bag around like a chump for too long! =)

1 Like

Hello,
I’m struggling to put my QPac in an efficient way in my studio.
I find your idea really brillant. Thanks for your explanations.
Have you keep your project or did you improve it ?
Curious to see other solutions of physical integration of QPac in the studio.
If others can show their solution, would be appreciate.

I was reached by @glooms for my thoughts on the Qu24 mixer. Guess it would be useful for some people if I write them down here…
So yes, I am very happy with the Qu24, I use it several days a week since Nov. 2018 (got it for 1969€ FYI). At that time I had money to spend ^^
Any recording on my Soundcloud since this date makes use of it.

The mix sends (3 stereo + 4 mono) are very useful, the converters and amp pretty transparent, you have a lot of headroom, the EQ are very easy to setup, I often make use the compressor/limiter as well as the gate (some of my friends love distorsion a lot)… Motorized faders + graphical feedback are both ace. And you can record 16 tracks + main stereo without a computer, which is handy sometimes when you want to capture a jam quickly and don’t want to kill the vibe by taking the time to switch the computer on and setting up Ableton…
A very complete mixer for the studio, very cool piece of kit!!

Yet I think it’s a bit overkill tbh: I have bought a pair of patchbays 2 years ago so I can reroute my machines and FX the way I want, and I would have gone for the Qu16 if I had understood that before: I never use everything at the same time, even when I have several friends at home.

I had bought the QuPac before the Qu24, and while the quality was here, I missed the interface. So yeah, I would advise to go for the Qu16 and a Samson S-patch plus any day, it makes more sense IMO.

3 Likes

Thanks for the write up! Do you also get the same number of sends with the Qu16, and are they the equivalent of an AUX send? Cheers.

Yes indeed, from A&H website it seems Qu-16 and Qu-24 have both 4 mono and 3 stereo “mixes” (aka aux sends). You can set very easily the amount of send for each track: just press a Mix button in the lower right and the motorized faders will offer the clearest and fastest feedback + interaction mean you could imagine.

It’s even clearer on the back:

You have to use inputs to get these sends back into the mix, but you don’t need to sacrifice much as there are 2 additional stereo inputs (ST1in and ST2in) that can be used for this.
There is even another one (ST3in) that be found on the front, though I usually set such track as the return from the computer, which I find handy to sample some sound from the Mac.

4 Likes

:sunglasses:🫡 :raised_hands: :clap::clap::clap::clap::level_slider::level_slider::level_slider::control_knobs::control_knobs::control_knobs: