Finalizer

Hi Guys!

Im searching an equipment after my octa to get a good level. Need to have eq compressor and limiter.
I saw something unique with stimming

and something like tc electronic finalezer

somebody know a better solution? or some experience?

2 Likes

I use track 8 as master, stick a compressor on it. Done. Sounds great for gigs.

12 Likes

Waves used to make a hardware unit that has BassMaxx, L2 limiter and a compressor:
https://www.waves.com/hardware/maxxbcl
It sounds really good, and especially it gets perceivably “Big” sound from limited PA’s. Also has great convertors and is useful on your master mix in the studio.

No EQ, but as mentioned, Octatrack has EQ of its own.

1 Like

Try Izotope Ozone. Even Ozone Elements helps a lot. You can try demo

I’m using Ozone 8 Elements and I happy with it as mastering tool. Most likely i will make an upgrade to standard early next year. If you have an iPad you can also try with Final Touch Audio Mastering. I prefer ozone but final touch i so cheap comparing to ozone and doing job properly. I’m using it on the go when I have only iPad with me.

Cheers
Seb

Never used one myself, though I know they were quite popular in the early 2000’s for electronic music. Seems like izotope in a box. Probably still a very solid choice for a hardware finalizing box for your OT or other hardware

The best finalizer is a mastering engineer.

4 Likes

For those interested in the Stimming device:

I asked him about it a little while ago, and they are working on bringing this to the market. Api style compressor, high and low eq (If I remember correctly).

This was maybe two months ago, so don’t know how far along they are by now.

3 Likes

A used MaxxBCL is going to run you at least $3000USD.

TC Electronics Finalizer has been used on plenty of hit electronic records in the past. They’re probably pretty affordable these days.

1 Like

If the Analog Heat had a compressor… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You can assign Analog Heat’s handy envelope follower output to a number of destinations which affect the volume of the outgoing signal. It’s not as controlled, but can smash things up in creative ways. You can even route the envelope follower signal to EQs to do create a poor man’s band-limited compressor…

2 Likes

Oto boum? No eq but has a filter

2 Likes

I have a Finalizer 96k. The idea was/is to use it at live gigs, to give something closer to a mastered sound. However, since grabbing an A&H Qu24, I now use the EQ and compressor on there instead. I miss out of the multi-band compression and limiting that way, but that’s not a huge problem.

5 Likes

I’m very happy with my TC Finalizer 96K. It has three bands comp and Limiter, EQ, Dynamic EQ, M/S effects, presets and it sounds great with beats and adds presence to Digitone. Also it controls bass well.

Yes Stimming’s device looks very interesting. I would be very interested in that one.

I’m sometimes thinking about getting the FMR Audio RNC too since it is smaller and easier to take with me and is supposed to be good. But I have cut off the Finalizers rack ears so it fits better in my bag, so it’s ok.

Check this thread too:

3 Likes

My old Finalizer Plus was good for this application, and sending program changes on song changes via Octatrack Midi was a good feature. The metering alone was great for adjustments and level monitoring. Mine currently needs a power supply replacement I suspect as its dead, which is a common issue with TC stuff from the era. Considering getting a 96k version. Anyone want to sell?

Got an RNC, but it doesn’t do everything the Finalizer can, and it somewhat pales in comparison to the Overstayer VCA which has built in grab function which highpasses the low end for keeping beef, as well as the built in EQ and blend control for parallel stuff.

Considered picking up a DBX DDP a few times, which is similar to the Finalizer. Cheaper.

Definitely in the market for a small half rack or desktop unit with modern processing power and a master suite of multi band compression, saturation, eq and limiting with good display, with midi control. Compact, low latency and quality sound being the operatives though. Realistically with those requirements, a small laptop and decent audio interface probably the best bet currently.

3 Likes

If I had the cash for it, I would fancy a 500 series stereo mastering chain. gonna cost though :money_with_wings: :totes:

I got an ssl fusion on installments. Expensive but really good. Takes the balanced outputs of OT2 Which I think is an improvement. Of course then I bought a Manley elop+ for the insert, but that’s for studio use. I think OT ,compressor on T8 with fusion would be excellent for live.

1 Like

I really think Elektron should make such a master bus unit in Digi-format :star_struck:
That’s a request @Elektron!

4 Likes

+1(000)

2 Likes

99% of the time when people start messing with multiband dynamic processing they make things worse, though. Especially on the master buss. If you’re looking for something you can run your stuff through and have it sound better with minimal tweaking, a multiband dynamic processor is the opposite of that.

6 Likes