Finalizer

Maybe you’re right and it would also be fine with a really good one band compressor and EQ in such a unit. Still I think that the fact that the Finalizer controls bass so well is because of the 3 bands. The manual of such a unit could easily explain what to beware of. And number of bands could be optional.

The Stimming video in the OP talked specifically about a master-bus processor for gigs. Mastering your tracks for commercial release in the studio may use the same tools (IE Finalizer), but the process is completely different.

A mastering engineer will set the multiband compression somewhat differently for each track. In a live set, you probably want to set it once for the entire set.

If a track, or even a set require 3 separate bands of compression just to control bass, it might be a good indication that the mix/eq or compression of the kick and bass tracks need revision before applying a mastering unit that affects the entire mix.

I agree that a musician on stage should not be messing with a multiband during the show. However, no one is forcing anyone to actually use all the bands. One band of a multiband is completely different from a regular full-program compressor, and can work better for taming a harsh frequency range than cutting it altogether with an ordinary EQ.

Sublety the key, but used wisely with low ratios it can definitely help a track, though I tend to agree that one lot of settings for a whole set with a multi band compressor is risky.

I was being hyperbolic as kind of a way to imply that there are more productive ways to spend $800-$3500 for most people. I’d be cool to have all of those things jsut because every box has its own sound, but I doubt many people NEED one.

Anyhow, on the cheap there’s a pretty solid Finalizer-era multiband compressor in the Behringer V-Verb Pro for around $150. plus some of the nicer sounding reverbs in anywhere near its price range (although there’s a lot more competition ther in the last couple years). Not sure I’d want to trust one of those things on stage, though.

1 Like

For the Best/Easy mastering I’d recommend using the Waves C6 multiband compressor into the IM Pusher.
But yeah I’m looking for the best settings for the Octatrack’s Compressor on the end of the master channel for general electronic music so it will limit the sound but not kill the it on the big sub bass. It’s a great compressor!

I had the same issue when playing a live techno/deephouse jam and being put in a line-up inbetween dj’s. My mix was lacking that mastered punch. I was using a Qu16 and while the compressor on the master Bus did punch the sound when using it as a limiter it also lost most of the analog sweetness of the gear used: vermona DRM, an OT and a4 with some analog pedals.

I switched to an analog desk Zed428 and I am using the groups (with the inserts) now with seperate outboard gear: a drum group to a focusrite compounder and a synth/bass lead to a Joemeek MC2 to sidechain.

The master insert is then routed to a Finalizer96k and runs through a Waves L2 hardware limiter.

It took some gear hunting but all the outboard gear was found second hand for a total of 700€ (Including a 5u flightcase to store the units) On the local craigslist and I was able to swap the Qu for the Zed desk.

It took/takes some time to dial in good settings for each project but the mixes are louder and the bass/kicks roll smoother.

There is some nice “old” gear going round secondhand of people moving in the box and that opens opportunities for the tinkering people who likes to tweak gear settings.

2 Likes

I use the SSL SiX for this and I have no complaints except that it’s a pretty big box to add to a live set up… especially if you’re sharing table space with another act/DJ

1 Like

Received my Finalizer Plus today ! Great mastering and sound design tool.
Interesting distortion, great dynamic shaping tools with the expander and compressor.
Can’t wait to sequence it with ST and OT !

Do you think the extra spectral stereo insert worth the update to 96k ?

3 Likes

Congrats! I get back to this tomorrrow :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks. I was just thinking of you for that. If you could record some examples with differents settings that would help me to make my mind (buy a 96k or not).

I’m mostly interested to hear medium and high Spectral Stereo Image at max values.

From mono signals like voice, white noise, saw…

I’m not using any of the insert effects. I’ve made a transparent “limiter” setting with the compressor and never really change anything anymore. So I’m definitely not utilising it fully.
I’ll have to check the stereo imager again since it’s been a long time since I tried it. I always run my stereo signal through it, which is usually wide enough so I don’t really need this effect but I’ll check.

1 Like

Yep, my goal is to make stereo image from mono stuff, before recording in OT. Drastic settings, sound design purpose.

I will also use the Finalizer as live “mastering” tool. Maybe I need an additional 96K !

Finally(zer) got to do this. It’s a mono square wave chord from MD.
When the I1 icon is dark the insert fx is on and vice versa.

Thanks @Soarer !
Full settings are not convincing, but around 50 it seems more interesting. Manual recommend to compensate with gain (per band).

Just received a DEQ 2496, AES digital insert in the Finalizer.

The compressor is easier to set, can give more punch. RTA, graphic equalizer…many additional mastering tools !

are you happy with the DEQ 2496? i am thinking about buying one for my liveset and put it under the octatrack and digitone. what about the heat development? does the deq2496 get very hot?

It did the job in order to calibrate my sound system. I didn’t used it much after.
I use Finalizer converters, 2496 as digital insert, its inputs/outputs are buggy (big noise).

Being digital, why should it be very hot ?

you mean the converters are noisy?
i thought it includes preamps and therefore can get hot

Mine are faulty. Don’t know what the issue is, anyway I prefer to use it as digital insert.

Did you read somewhere it can get hot ? There are apparently some issues with this product, make a search. I got mine for cheap because of the issue.

1 Like

Mine is flawless. No noisy inputs. Using it mainly with the digital input.