Filter keyboard tracking

sorry to come 7 years later with my experience : keytrack 32 is also best setting but it is not acurate at all : two octaves approximate tracking is a maximum! It’s a real shame since tracking is absolutely essential to compensate with high pass resonance weak bass in this machine … Is analog four MK2 better? That’s an major improvement customer need. Is it possible to do with a software update?

Did you calibrate?

Thank you for the advice… I’m going to calibrate :slight_smile:

Be sure to let it warm up first, as per the manual.

Thank you darenager. I calibrated (it was warm from the early morning) and I’ve got the same result : 24% deviation in 2 octave. My minilogue doesn’t detune more than 8% in 2 octaves… An improvement would be welcome. And if Elektron plan to make another analog synthesizer, several other controls lack fine adjustment, like PWM, EG attack time (between 0 and 1).

I don’t ever recall having issues getting a broad range of serviceable resonant tones from the Mark 1 with its variable filter (Filter 2) (Filter 1, the ladder has a very narrow usable tracking range by comparison)

Fwiw - I can play 6 octaves of very usable tracked filter resonance on the Mk2 and that was my recollection on the Mk 1 as well - you get at best a jazzy 3 or 4 from the ladder by comparison

1 Like

Thank you avantronica… always interesting answers. Really? Maybe my A4 needs update, or service… or maybe all A4 don’t provide the exact same F2 accurate tracking… or maybe it’s a good reason to change for an A4 MK2.
Ladder tracking is not accurate, at all, but that’s absolutely not a problem for my use.

1 Like

Using aged ears, the tracking is close enough, I run the filter along with (and without) a lower Tri oscillator and it is usable for me … No tuners involved

Try a different voice than the one you have ,if you’ve not done so already, they can vary (as can our respective tolerances) but in the context of allowing modest tracking for a filter peak it should be more than adequate, I will dig out the MK1 at some point to see if it’s as good as I recall

Good advices. I measured with a tuner and all voices give approximately the same result but there is a huge difference among the entire range. Bass frequencies are worst. Third octave has a 20% deviation (between G3 and G4). Octave 4 and 5 are best (12% for 2 octaves). It’s a fantastic tool to subtract or add frequencies to fundamental with resonance, especially in bass frequencies.

1 Like

good results with filter tracking over here too. i am using a analog keys.

1 Like

When using filter 1 as an oscillator, either by using the filter feedback or pinging it with noise, I have acceptable tracking for maybe 2 octaves max. It seems to be better in the high range (roughly above 600 Hz) regardless of the ‘base’ cutoff setting.
Could I expect more range ? I’ve run a calibration twice, no difference.
I think it sounds ace, so would love to be able to play it

Common approach seems to be to set tracking to 32 or so for playability. I assume you’ve done that?

1 Like

Yes.
Filter 2, with the same settings, can track the pitch on a much wider range.

2 Likes

Being relatively new to A4, I’d be curious if someone more experienced comes up with an idea here… :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh wait…. just read above! Thanks @avantronica

1 Like

OK, this confirms what I witnessed. Too bad… I think Filter 1 sounds much better.

2 Likes

The manual says Filter 2 has more consistent resonance behavior than Filter 2, and I took that to suggest the keytracking is more consistent as well (from Filters in Appendix A of the manual):

Compared to Filter 1, Filter 2 has a more
uniform resonance behavior over the whole audio
spectrum.

2 Likes

Just played around a bit with Filter 2. Tracking is excellent :wink:

Will compare the same patch today with Filter 1.

1 Like

Ok. Some (by now probably well known) observations about Filter 1:

• Tracking capability is rather limited as stated above.
  • You can still get good results by fine-tuning trigs individually.
  • It generates a good amount of white-ish noise with higher resonance settings. I love that lo-fi vibe a lot but it might not suit your genre.

If you ever wondered, why there’s a drop in volume in lower registers when pinging the filter: Lower notes/frequencies require a longer trigger than higher notes as a general rule.

2 Likes

Maybe, but…even the day after ?

Good question. After all it’s digitally controlled. Haven’t checked, though.

1 Like