Filter keyboard tracking

Has anyone had any success getting the filter to track the keyboard chromatically?

I had a patch going last night where I had filter 2 in hi-pass mode with a lot of resonance and I was struggling to get it to track the pitch across multiple octaves.

The keytrack goes from around +/-50 i think from memory. What value should I set it to to get the filter frequency to track the keyboard? Is this even possible?

off the top of my head w/o checking 32, and if it is this, why oh why oh why isnā€™t it one of the detente settings when you hold in function and turn enc - it is an obvious ā€˜vanillaā€™ setting - and yes i can get filter tracking to play very nicely, it can be done ! lovely it is too

Yes, 32 is the value for 100% tracking.

1 Like

Cheers! Will try this evening.

also, cutoff should be at ca. 52 if you want to match the reso peak to the default oscillator tuning.

2 Likes

Awesome. An evening of creating sub bass patches it is then.

Out of interest is there a consistent logic to these values or have you just arrived at them through trial and error?

itā€™s MIDI note values! :slight_smile:
incrementing filter cutoff by 12 means going up an octave.

Well thatā€™s what I was expecting but neither 32 nor 52 divide by 12. Unless Iā€™m missing something? Iā€™m generally quite slow on the uptake.

Regardless, got some great subby bass sounds going last night. Thanks all

sorry, what does ā€œcaā€ mean? re cutoff freq.
Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circa !

off the top of my head w/o checking 32, and if it is this, why oh why oh why isnā€™t it one of the detente settings when you hold in function and turn enc - it is an obvious ā€˜vanillaā€™ setting - and yes i can get filter tracking to play very nicely, it can be done ! lovely it is too[/quote]

Agreed, emphatically. It was a mystery to me that this was neither a standard setting nor mentioned in the manual (to my knowledge). I had to crank up the resonance and find it by trial and error.

sorry to come 7 years later with my experience : keytrack 32 is also best setting but it is not acurate at all : two octaves approximate tracking is a maximum! Itā€™s a real shame since tracking is absolutely essential to compensate with high pass resonance weak bass in this machine ā€¦ Is analog four MK2 better? Thatā€™s an major improvement customer need. Is it possible to do with a software update?

Did you calibrate?

Thank you for the adviceā€¦ Iā€™m going to calibrate :slight_smile:

Be sure to let it warm up first, as per the manual.

Thank you darenager. I calibrated (it was warm from the early morning) and Iā€™ve got the same result : 24% deviation in 2 octave. My minilogue doesnā€™t detune more than 8% in 2 octavesā€¦ An improvement would be welcome. And if Elektron plan to make another analog synthesizer, several other controls lack fine adjustment, like PWM, EG attack time (between 0 and 1).

I donā€™t ever recall having issues getting a broad range of serviceable resonant tones from the Mark 1 with its variable filter (Filter 2) (Filter 1, the ladder has a very narrow usable tracking range by comparison)

Fwiw - I can play 6 octaves of very usable tracked filter resonance on the Mk2 and that was my recollection on the Mk 1 as well - you get at best a jazzy 3 or 4 from the ladder by comparison

1 Like

Thank you avantronicaā€¦ always interesting answers. Really? Maybe my A4 needs update, or serviceā€¦ or maybe all A4 donā€™t provide the exact same F2 accurate trackingā€¦ or maybe itā€™s a good reason to change for an A4 MK2.
Ladder tracking is not accurate, at all, but thatā€™s absolutely not a problem for my use.

1 Like

Using aged ears, the tracking is close enough, I run the filter along with (and without) a lower Tri oscillator and it is usable for me ā€¦ No tuners involved

Try a different voice than the one you have ,if youā€™ve not done so already, they can vary (as can our respective tolerances) but in the context of allowing modest tracking for a filter peak it should be more than adequate, I will dig out the MK1 at some point to see if itā€™s as good as I recall

Good advices. I measured with a tuner and all voices give approximately the same result but there is a huge difference among the entire range. Bass frequencies are worst. Third octave has a 20% deviation (between G3 and G4). Octave 4 and 5 are best (12% for 2 octaves). Itā€™s a fantastic tool to subtract or add frequencies to fundamental with resonance, especially in bass frequencies.

1 Like