Filter keyboard tracking

Has anyone had any success getting the filter to track the keyboard chromatically?

I had a patch going last night where I had filter 2 in hi-pass mode with a lot of resonance and I was struggling to get it to track the pitch across multiple octaves.

The keytrack goes from around +/-50 i think from memory. What value should I set it to to get the filter frequency to track the keyboard? Is this even possible?

off the top of my head w/o checking 32, and if it is this, why oh why oh why isn’t it one of the detente settings when you hold in function and turn enc - it is an obvious ‘vanilla’ setting - and yes i can get filter tracking to play very nicely, it can be done ! lovely it is too

Yes, 32 is the value for 100% tracking.

Cheers! Will try this evening.

also, cutoff should be at ca. 52 if you want to match the reso peak to the default oscillator tuning.

1 Like

Awesome. An evening of creating sub bass patches it is then.

Out of interest is there a consistent logic to these values or have you just arrived at them through trial and error?

it’s MIDI note values! :slight_smile:
incrementing filter cutoff by 12 means going up an octave.

Well that’s what I was expecting but neither 32 nor 52 divide by 12. Unless I’m missing something? I’m generally quite slow on the uptake.

Regardless, got some great subby bass sounds going last night. Thanks all

sorry, what does “ca” mean? re cutoff freq.
Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circa !

off the top of my head w/o checking 32, and if it is this, why oh why oh why isn’t it one of the detente settings when you hold in function and turn enc - it is an obvious ‘vanilla’ setting - and yes i can get filter tracking to play very nicely, it can be done ! lovely it is too[/quote]

Agreed, emphatically. It was a mystery to me that this was neither a standard setting nor mentioned in the manual (to my knowledge). I had to crank up the resonance and find it by trial and error.

sorry to come 7 years later with my experience : keytrack 32 is also best setting but it is not acurate at all : two octaves approximate tracking is a maximum! It’s a real shame since tracking is absolutely essential to compensate with high pass resonance weak bass in this machine … Is analog four MK2 better? That’s an major improvement customer need. Is it possible to do with a software update?

Did you calibrate?

Thank you for the advice… I’m going to calibrate :slight_smile:

Be sure to let it warm up first, as per the manual.

Thank you darenager. I calibrated (it was warm from the early morning) and I’ve got the same result : 24% deviation in 2 octave. My minilogue doesn’t detune more than 8% in 2 octaves… An improvement would be welcome. And if Elektron plan to make another analog synthesizer, several other controls lack fine adjustment, like PWM, EG attack time (between 0 and 1).

I don’t ever recall having issues getting a broad range of serviceable resonant tones from the Mark 1 with its variable filter (Filter 2) (Filter 1, the ladder has a very narrow usable tracking range by comparison)

Fwiw - I can play 6 octaves of very usable tracked filter resonance on the Mk2 and that was my recollection on the Mk 1 as well - you get at best a jazzy 3 or 4 from the ladder by comparison

1 Like

Thank you avantronica… always interesting answers. Really? Maybe my A4 needs update, or service… or maybe all A4 don’t provide the exact same F2 accurate tracking… or maybe it’s a good reason to change for an A4 MK2.
Ladder tracking is not accurate, at all, but that’s absolutely not a problem for my use.

1 Like

Using aged ears, the tracking is close enough, I run the filter along with (and without) a lower Tri oscillator and it is usable for me … No tuners involved

Try a different voice than the one you have ,if you’ve not done so already, they can vary (as can our respective tolerances) but in the context of allowing modest tracking for a filter peak it should be more than adequate, I will dig out the MK1 at some point to see if it’s as good as I recall

Good advices. I measured with a tuner and all voices give approximately the same result but there is a huge difference among the entire range. Bass frequencies are worst. Third octave has a 20% deviation (between G3 and G4). Octave 4 and 5 are best (12% for 2 octaves). It’s a fantastic tool to subtract or add frequencies to fundamental with resonance, especially in bass frequencies.

1 Like