Filter keyboard tracking

good results with filter tracking over here too. i am using a analog keys.

1 Like

When using filter 1 as an oscillator, either by using the filter feedback or pinging it with noise, I have acceptable tracking for maybe 2 octaves max. It seems to be better in the high range (roughly above 600 Hz) regardless of the ā€˜baseā€™ cutoff setting.
Could I expect more range ? Iā€™ve run a calibration twice, no difference.
I think it sounds ace, so would love to be able to play it

Common approach seems to be to set tracking to 32 or so for playability. I assume youā€™ve done that?

1 Like

Yes.
Filter 2, with the same settings, can track the pitch on a much wider range.

2 Likes

Being relatively new to A4, Iā€™d be curious if someone more experienced comes up with an idea hereā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh waitā€¦. just read above! Thanks @avantronica

1 Like

OK, this confirms what I witnessed. Too badā€¦ I think Filter 1 sounds much better.

2 Likes

The manual says Filter 2 has more consistent resonance behavior than Filter 2, and I took that to suggest the keytracking is more consistent as well (from Filters in Appendix A of the manual):

Compared to Filter 1, Filter 2 has a more
uniform resonance behavior over the whole audio
spectrum.

2 Likes

Just played around a bit with Filter 2. Tracking is excellent :wink:

Will compare the same patch today with Filter 1.

1 Like

Ok. Some (by now probably well known) observations about Filter 1:

• Tracking capability is rather limited as stated above.
  • You can still get good results by fine-tuning trigs individually.
  • It generates a good amount of white-ish noise with higher resonance settings. I love that lo-fi vibe a lot but it might not suit your genre.

If you ever wondered, why thereā€™s a drop in volume in lower registers when pinging the filter: Lower notes/frequencies require a longer trigger than higher notes as a general rule.

2 Likes

Maybe, butā€¦even the day after ?

Good question. After all itā€™s digitally controlled. Havenā€™t checked, though.

1 Like

Except warmth I guessā€¦:content:

1 Like