Favorite Headphones

I quite liked the 7506 until I compared them back to back with a pair of Audeze LCD-X. Not a very fair fight, admittedly. But it exposed their lack of detail so strongly that I haven’t used them for mixing since.

I do find them to be comfortable and great value though.

HD25 definitely have a boxy sound, I agree. Good workhorse phones though and great for DJing. Also they seem to be indestructible, despite first impressions of some of the cheap looking plastic parts.

Audio Technica ATH M50x

240’s are the studio standard for a reason… can monitor for hours without fatigue and great balance overall. Shame about the gold accents tho.

wow I’d love to try those out - could never justify spending 1500 on headphones but kinda wish I could :blush:

The AKG K550 have a super detailed sound and quite amazing sound field too - way more so than the MDR 7506 but I still find the Sony’s more balanced or true (if there is such a thing) … just my ears I guess!

The MDR7506 are definitely quite neutral. They don’t over-emphasise anywhere I think.

I know, the LCD-X are a bit ridiculous, but if you buy the creator pack without the hard case, they are one of the cheaper Audeze models… that’s one for the “hollow justifications” thread…

3 Likes

I have both Aiaiai TMA-2 and AKG k702.

I use TMA-2 for deejaying and checking if my productions are fun to listen too. They lack a bit of detail and are quite bass heavy. But that’s also why there are fun and good to use for deejaying.

For production I use my k702. I only got them 1 month ago and man, what an improvement. They are extremely flat and very detailed. I can really see an improvement in my mixes as jams/tracks suddenly translate better to other sound systems.
They are currently relative cheap for reference headphones. 115€. An awesome price for such neutral headphones. They are the same as the k701, just with detachable cable.

Yep great phones for DJing, crap for studio

I want these but I don’t need them. Neo Geo x Roland headphones.

1 Like

Picked up the Pioneer X10 on a Black Friday sale. Needed headphones for a gig to replace some Sony’s. Have to say, they are pretty dope. Awesome build quality and sound great.

1 Like

Hey! A bit lazy to read the 180 post… can you drive me on the best 3 relatively good sub 150 earphone pair, please. Thanks alot . Until now i had sehneiser 25 but they are broken… just want to look for alternative before buying again…

Sony MDR 7506. Flat response, comfortable, industry standard, great price. They’ve been making them for like 30 years or something. You’ll never need to think about headphones again.

2 Likes

So anyone preordered the new Neumann headphones yet?

Any reviews / opinions would be appreciated

I’m curious too. Seems the early response has been positive. This stuff is so subjective, sometimes I think you just have to go with a trusted brand and drive in knowing you can return them. But $500 for headphones is sort of the ‘next level’ and feels riskier. I’m sure more and more reviews will pour out in the next couple months. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Sennheiser HD8. The bass is a bit more hyped than the HD25’s, and I prefer that. The build quality is way better too. They also come with a nice case.

FOCAL LISTEN PROFESSIONAL

not too expensive and a good soundstage regarding some reviews

1 Like

Sony MDR-7506

I have been using these for years. First pair I bought in 2008 or 9 and still going strong, although they are currently in storage so I bought another pair while ‘traveling’.

3 Likes

for mixing and mastering at home you should take an open headphone. the sennheiser hd600 is the most neutral sounding on the market. we use them as a reference when testing other headphones in our office. you dont even need to eq them with sonarworks, because sonarworks dont tell what they define a flat frequency curve. on headphones. normaly you will need to do comparisson tests with 1/3rd octave bands of noise within a neutral listening room, because the human ear reacts different than an artificial dummy head for measurements. this is what sennheiser did to make shure, the hd600 has a neutral response. if you wanna use it also on a mobile device, take the hd660 which sounds similar but has a lower electrical resistance.

also: the guy who mastered the headphone surround mix of kraftwerk 3d, tom ammerman, did it on a hd600, because it sounds so neutral, even more neutral than the expensive (and good) hd800s.

in a noisy environment take some closed cans. beyerdynamic dt 770 are quite neutral and very cheap for their soundquality, very good for monitoring. the dt1770 have a much better detail resolution, but cost 4 times as much and are not as neutral as the hd600.

the sennheiser hd25 are very solid mobile headphones, they are good control headphones for djs and playing live. but they have a sharp peak around 8khz and not much is happening above that, so they are not appropiate for final decisions on a mix or master. they are also not very comfortable to wear over long hours.

if you wanna look at other models, download the demo of sonarworks and have a look at their frequency curves for different headphones. sonarworks is also great for roomcorrection of monitors.

2 Likes

Another vote here for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm. Been using them over 10 years and still going strong. Mixes usually come out pretty good, a tad on the bassey side. They are comfy and great to work with for hours. I just picked up some cheap Pioneer DJ hrm-5 but haven’t used them much. Grabbed em on a sale so I could use them when travelling.

Quick question for those using the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pros. I know they’re semi-open in design, so I like the idea of them having a better spatial quality when listening in comparison to my 770 pros. What I’m wondering is how much louder are they, for others around me? I work late at night when my kids are sleeping in the next room over, so I wouldnt want to wake them. Any other benefits using 880 over 770?

2 Likes

DT 880 pro 250 Ohm here. I would not worry about the loundness in the other room. The walls/door should protect your kids.

The 880 is really flat and if you listen or produce some bass heavy music, you could perhaps miss something or mix to much bass in your tracks (you need to be aware and get used to it).

If you also want to use the 880´s in public (e.g. travelling) as well it could be difficult, because you will also hear the noise from your sourroundings.

1 Like