Fav params for Scenes and Perf

Hi all,
so I was thinking about this, and it is probably the one part of the RYTM workflow that takes a lot of time (besides loading samples).

Ideally, the machine would be playable with many kits, scenes and perf modes established, but I often struggle to come up good variations for Scenes. So I’m wondering whats your approach?

At the moment I do simple stuff like:

Scene:

• filter shifts (freq and filter type) to give it a DJ style effect
  • Delay or Reverb swells
  • Pitch shifts, but you have to be careful to not shift everything too much.

Perf:

• nothing really has been working very well for me. I want subtlety, but when too subtle the pad pressure doesnt react very well.

I was speaking with a drummer friend, and I came to the conclusion that Perf parameters would possibly be better off corresponding to acoustic drum sounds, to mimic real drums:

• velocity / volume (coupled with some intensity params)
  • decay / mutes
  • attack
  • pitch in some cases

I’d love to hear your thoughts
Thanks
r

I do one of two things with Scenes:

1. I use them as way to add structure. So I will create four or five scenes and use those to mute things while adding some sort of variations in filter settings, Amp settings, etc.
  • But basically, scene 1 will be the beginning of intro, scene 2 will add things like the snare and whatever else I might add, Scene three adds the kick, etc.

This allows me to do things that would normally be done with a new pattern in the same pattern and allows me to drop or add a lot of tracks at once.

Also, this allows me to have tracks that have patterns that when played together clash but when played separately sound good.

So I might have two leads in the same pattern, one always having an amp level setting of zero and the other having an amp level setting of 100. When I select the scene I have created it will switch the amp settings.

That way, no matter what track I mute or unmute, the two leads will never clash.

The limit of 40 locks limits this use but I have found that between this and performance pads I can create intros and drops on the fly.

1. I will do something similar to the above method but not as precise, I may create a scene at the kick that filters the kick out and adds a bunch of delay to another track (say the other track has an acid type sound on it)
    and so on…

I use them this way when I find something really cool with a sound but I don’t want that sound to always sound that specific way. This also helps with breakdowns and what not.

As far as performance mode goes, I try to do what I would like to do live with my pattern but do not have enough hands to do, I also picture myself trying to wash out and ‘get weird’ with the pattern.

So I use a lot of filtering, and effects (bit crush, delay, reverb, ect.)

And I will often apply pressure to pads and at the same time select the mute mode which locks the pads parameters so that I do not have to hold them and can start muting or unmuting tracks, or triggering scenes.

There are certain staples I like to consider - I make dance music so, things like - filtered kick, or a sample on the kick (of another kick) that I use the perf pad to turn up it’s volume from zero to 127 to make a stronger kick, highhat decay, etc…

So sometimes I just hold the pad an turn knobs till I like what I have and other times I compare my pattern to a whole song and try to mimic the changes that might exist in a complete track.

The idea as far as I am concerned is to use them to create dynamic soundscapes out of the singe pattern.

this is really helpful thanks. especially using Scenes as a pattern sequencing tool, cool idea, especially because quite often I have more than 1 or 2 free slots within the pattern.

I’m doing dancefloor stuff so the same filter kick etc tricks, I try to incorporate.

FWIW just mapped a few perf pads to the ‘real-world’ drum variables, and it works quite nice. Subtle with a natural feel which is what I’m after for techno drums most of the time.

Next hurdle now is jump between Mute, Scene and Perf pages comfortably :slight_smile:

Cheers man.

look here

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/your-tips-for-scene-perf-mode/11180/91387

tm

thanks . sorry for the noise!

I feel like large/drastic changes to percussion removes focus from a track, so I rarely do scenes/performances per song

PERF: grouped delay/reverb sends, minor filter tweaks (usually in conjunction with aux sends)
SCENES: making multiple mute changes easier (as mentioned by another poster). Also doing a conjunction of per-track overdrive and track level changes so the gain staging remains equivalent, just different tonality

gotcha! thanks for the input. the track mutes is a winner for sure. im starting to get used to the 12 pad layout, where some pads are always ‘primary’ sounds, and others are just fills and effects, helping things on. this helps me know which ones will remain mutable and which belong to the core beat (and ultimately the scene sequencing).

About the reverb and fills, this is solid, but I have a feeling the current levels of my Reverb and Delay are not optimal. At least, my experiences echo other users on here with the latest OS. I dont have my machine long enough to know anything else, but I can definitely run into corners when try to get the most of out my effects.

I had the idea with a scene setting a slow LFO to the AMP volume, to create volume fade in /out. You could even change the target of the LFO if you have it used for something else.
With this it wont be such a hard change when you remove /add a sound.