Failed component

Can anyone good with surface mount stuff tell me what this leaked component is?

Its at S211_Grid 12, if you zoom in you can see where something has leaked and discoloured the PCB. Sequencer button 12 currently does not work. LED 12 works fine, test mode fine.

Have raised a ticket, I can probably fix it myself maybe? but its always nice to share a photo of the insides of elektron machines…

The component between 12 and 13?

@darenager?

looks like a diode

1 Like

Definitely a little diode, should be fairly simple to sort as long as you get the right part number off Elektron.

Though I’m not sure a how a diode would account for the stain, ever had it out in the rain or any sweaties playing with it?

1 Like

Not sure but that looks like a bleed of flux excess.
I had the exact same thing happened in a MODEL1 mixer.

Nope. No rain, no spills, no drops. Have played outdoor gigs, but under cover, and in Australia… so no rain there either.

Yeah figured it was a diode. Shame its not through hole, I could fix it tonight as Ive got spare diodes a plenty. Sure I’ll get it fixed soon enough.

1 Like

Number 12 must be cursed, I’m pretty sure the blue LED in mine has gone now…

Already? That’s an easy fix though, just replace the LED. I like through hole, everything is easy.

1 Like

It was a b stock for a reason, I guess.

LED’s fail sometimes, no Biggie. At least it’s the blue one so it doesn’t actually affect useability. Just means the trig is yellowy green when it should be white.

I’ll fix it when I can be bothered.

Yeah not a bother really is it. As long as the button works thats more important.

Obviously the 12 is cursed, Elektron didnt listen to enough Pointer Sisters .

2 Likes

I mean, I’m as excited as the next man, but I’m struggling to see how this relates to dodgy diodes.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/c7UT0_m5hfY

3 Likes

Ha! I had no idea that was them.

And your post was the 12th…

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen…

See the Pointer Sisters were telling us the whole damn time man, dont worry about the elephant flicking the ball to the gorilla, not important. Its the cosmic relevance of the number 12.

Or some other such acid fueled bollocks. Memories from my youth.

5 Likes

Update: replaced diode BAS32L with 1N4148 (not to spec but does the same thing)

Didn’t work. I saw the pads were extremely corroded once I got the original diode off. So I dunno where to go from here.

Can you post a closer picture?
Before soldering, clean the pads with a wipe and IPA (alcohol not the beer :grin:)
Use some flux and solder.

Did all that.
The photo is as close up as I can get with the phone camera i have

Any way of bypassing the corroded area?

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t click on the picture to zoom it.
BTW not really easy, to check that way. Perhaps using a magnifier with the phone, sometimes I do it for some low pitch components solderings…

Anyway, yes, as @Fin25 said, check if you can scratch a bit the pcb (if you feel confident) where it isn’t corroded and then do a ghetto style connection to the diodes.

I’ve checked at Mouser and the BAS32L is available if you want to try with the exact component.

Can you check the continuity with a voltmeter, maybe check just a ground rail.
If the diod goes to the knob, it would be possible to bypass it with thin wire. How does the bottom side looks like?
You have turned the diod to the correct polarity, right?

good luck

2 Likes