Failed component

Have you tested the diode with a multimeter? Can you confirm it is effectively broken?

Have you contacted Elektron support about this?

Could it be the switch that is the issue? It’s unlikely for traces/pads on a pcb to become so corroded they wont work and unlikely for a diode to fail. However it is very likely for switch contacts to fail. If it was me I’d check with a multimeter if the switch contacts were open and closed as appropriately when the switch is supposed to be open and closed. This may be a wired as spdt or dpdt…

6 Likes

You mean residue from soldering, that hasn’t been cleaned off?

No I meant lubricant (is that how it is called?) flux.

It could also be this.
Never thought of it.

Yeah i should have tested first hey… ah well!

Yep, as mentioned in OP, ticket raised. Got info on part from elektron. Didnt bother testing diode, under magnifier, solder pads extremely corroded, solder was a mess, diode looked shot. So I dived right in.

Sourcing a single SM part from Australia isnt viable, it means paying shipping to import a 20c tiny little thing from overseas. I would rather fix it with parts I can get here.

Anyway, bypass may be possible. Could also be a dead switch. I’ll test over the weekend. A friendly dude on the aussie facebook group is also helping my cause. Thanks all for the input!

1 Like

Update: Im a doofus.
Tested the switch… no continuity. Face palm. Need to replace that then as well.

Also got a quote from elektron on a replacement board. I might buy one anyway cheap as chips .

5 Likes

That is to say?

wait, you can get the replacement board from Elektron that easy?

Apparently so.

Ive also got replacement parts (including boards) from Korg for synth repairs.

1 Like

Update for anyone interested.

I got a replacement board ( the complete user interface board) from Elektron Sweden, for 156 USD including shipping to Australia.

Replacement was a peice of cake. Now I have a fully functioning OT again, that feels like a brand new one since all knobs and encoders are brand new. Stoked.

Elektron dealt with my ticket swiftly, and the price of the board was so cheap, I would have been a fool to risk further damage fucking around with wired in board, and that pesky SM shit.

Jusy lost 2 hours to the octa gods during a jungle sacrifice.

I am an octatrack user, and I am happy.

8 Likes

Congrats, great news!
And reassuring…